How can I find out what changed betwen perl versions?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Bill H, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Bill H

    Bill H Guest

    I have a perplexing issue. I have this program that I have been using
    for about 4 years, it takes a tab delimited file and creates a marked
    up file for pagemaker (basically all text with tags similar to html.
    The thing I am trying to figure out is:

    I have always used Active State perl v 5.005.03 for this program and
    still have it installed on one machine. On my newer machine I have
    v5.8.8.

    When I run the exact same program (last date modified on the program
    was 6/5/7), on the exact same data (same size on both machines, under
    v5.005.03 I get a resulting text file of 4833kb, but under 5.8.8
    (again same program, same data, different machine) I get a resulting
    text file size of 4607kb. What could cause such a size difference in
    the resulting file (or any size difference)?

    The program is a very simple program that just reads the file and
    makes a new file, it doesnt use any libraries, api's or other external
    stuff (cept what is in perl).

    Any clues? If you want to see the program and the data let me know and
    I will send it to you.

    Bill H

    Bill H, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Bill H

    Ron Bergin Guest

    On Aug 9, 3:53 pm, Bill H <> wrote:
    > I have a perplexing issue. I have this program that I have been using
    > for about 4 years, it takes a tab delimited file and creates a marked
    > up file for pagemaker (basically all text with tags similar to html.
    > The thing I am trying to figure out is:
    >
    > I have always used Active State perl v 5.005.03 for this program and
    > still have it installed on one machine. On my newer machine I have
    > v5.8.8.
    >
    > When I run the exact same program (last date modified on the program
    > was 6/5/7), on the exact same data (same size on both machines, under
    > v5.005.03 I get a resulting text file of 4833kb, but under 5.8.8
    > (again same program, same data, different machine) I get a resulting
    > text file size of 4607kb. What could cause such a size difference in
    > the resulting file (or any size difference)?
    >
    > The program is a very simple program that just reads the file and
    > makes a new file, it doesnt use any libraries, api's or other external
    > stuff (cept what is in perl).
    >
    > Any clues? If you want to see the program and the data let me know and
    > I will send it to you.
    >
    > Bill H

    Without seeing the code, it's impossible to say what's wrong.

    Ron Bergin, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Bill H

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Bill H wrote:
    > I have a perplexing issue. I have this program that I have been using
    > for about 4 years, it takes a tab delimited file and creates a marked
    > up file for pagemaker (basically all text with tags similar to html.
    > The thing I am trying to figure out is:
    >
    > I have always used Active State perl v 5.005.03 for this program and
    > still have it installed on one machine. On my newer machine I have
    > v5.8.8.
    >
    > When I run the exact same program (last date modified on the program
    > was 6/5/7), on the exact same data (same size on both machines, under
    > v5.005.03 I get a resulting text file of 4833kb, but under 5.8.8
    > (again same program, same data, different machine) I get a resulting
    > text file size of 4607kb. What could cause such a size difference in
    > the resulting file (or any size difference)?
    >
    > The program is a very simple program that just reads the file and
    > makes a new file, it doesnt use any libraries, api's or other external
    > stuff (cept what is in perl).
    >
    > Any clues? If you want to see the program and the data let me know and
    > I will send it to you.

    Do a 'diff' between the files to show what's different, maybe that will
    provide a clue or narrow down the issue and it might help you to
    provide a short example showing the differences.

    J. Gleixner, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Bill H

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/09/2007 05:53 PM, Bill H wrote:
    > [...]
    > When I run the exact same program (last date modified on the program
    > was 6/5/7), on the exact same data (same size on both machines, under
    > v5.005.03 I get a resulting text file of 4833kb, but under 5.8.8
    > (again same program, same data, different machine) I get a resulting
    > text file size of 4607kb. What could cause such a size difference in
    > the resulting file (or any size difference)?
    > [...]

    Differences in how Unicode characters are handled might cause this, but
    it's impossible to tell without seeing the program and its data.

    Mumia W., Aug 10, 2007
  5. On Aug 9, 11:53 pm, Bill H <> wrote:
    > I have a perplexing issue. I have this program that I have been using
    > for about 4 years, it takes a tab delimited file and creates a marked
    > up file for pagemaker (basically all text with tags similar to html.
    > The thing I am trying to figure out is:
    >
    > I have always used Active State perl v 5.005.03 for this program and
    > still have it installed on one machine. On my newer machine I have
    > v5.8.8.
    >
    > When I run the exact same program (last date modified on the program
    > was 6/5/7), on the exact same data (same size on both machines, under
    > v5.005.03 I get a resulting text file of 4833kb, but under 5.8.8
    > (again same program, same data, different machine) I get a resulting
    > text file size of 4607kb. What could cause such a size difference in
    > the resulting file (or any size difference)?
    >
    > The program is a very simple program that just reads the file and
    > makes a new file, it doesnt use any libraries, api's or other external
    > stuff (cept what is in perl).
    >
    > Any clues? If you want to see the program and the data let me know and
    > I will send it to you.

    If the data is not of a confidential then put both on a public website.

    Brian McCauley, Aug 10, 2007