How can I find out what changed betwen perl versions?

Bill H

I have a perplexing issue. I have this program that I have been using
for about 4 years, it takes a tab delimited file and creates a marked
up file for pagemaker (basically all text with tags similar to html.
The thing I am trying to figure out is:

I have always used Active State perl v 5.005.03 for this program and
still have it installed on one machine. On my newer machine I have
v5.8.8.

When I run the exact same program (last date modified on the program
was 6/5/7), on the exact same data (same size on both machines, under
v5.005.03 I get a resulting text file of 4833kb, but under 5.8.8
(again same program, same data, different machine) I get a resulting
text file size of 4607kb. What could cause such a size difference in
the resulting file (or any size difference)?

The program is a very simple program that just reads the file and
makes a new file, it doesnt use any libraries, api's or other external
stuff (cept what is in perl).

Any clues? If you want to see the program and the data let me know and
I will send it to you.

Bill H

Ron Bergin

[...]

Without seeing the code, it's impossible to say what's wrong.

J. Gleixner

Bill said:
[...]

Do a 'diff' between the files to show what's different, maybe that will
provide a clue or narrow down the issue and it might help you to
provide a short example showing the differences.

Mumia W.

[...]
When I run the exact same program (last date modified on the program
was 6/5/7), on the exact same data (same size on both machines, under
v5.005.03 I get a resulting text file of 4833kb, but under 5.8.8
(again same program, same data, different machine) I get a resulting
text file size of 4607kb. What could cause such a size difference in
the resulting file (or any size difference)?
[...]

Differences in how Unicode characters are handled might cause this, but
it's impossible to tell without seeing the program and its data.

Brian McCauley

[...]

If the data is not of a confidential then put both on a public website.