How can I get font-size to remain constant in Firefox?

Norman Swartz

How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
in IE?

<head>
p {color : 0000FF; font-size : 16pt!Important;}
</head>

In IE, when one clicks on the font-size selector icon and chooses
a display size (e.g. "smallest" or "largest"), the on-screen text
remains exactly at 16 points.

But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
<ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
in the <style>...</style> definition?

Wÿrm

How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
in IE?

you CAN'T.

p {color : 0000FF; font-size : 16pt!Important;}

You can't __force__ font-size to anything specific, not even in IE, user can
override them easily. And don't use fontsize as pt on webpages, rather use %
instead.

<snip>

Jose

But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
<ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

That's what it's supposed to do. It is obeying the user.
How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
in the <style>...</style> definition?

In other words, you want it to disobey the user? Thankfully, you can't.

Jose

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm said:
How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
in IE?

Unfortunately, the IE behavior is all but obsolete. Future font-sizing
will be variable, fluid, and changeable. Opera even changes the size of
graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't a dependable option, either.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Opera even changes the size of graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't a
dependable option, either.

As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.

Stan McCann

Norman Swartz said:
In IE, when one clicks on the font-size selector icon and chooses
a display size (e.g. "smallest" or "largest"), the on-screen text
remains exactly at 16 points.

Due to a bug in IE. The user *should* be able to increase/decrease
font size as needed.
But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
<ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

As it should.
How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
in the <style>...</style> definition?

Thankfully, you can't. And why would you want to anyway? 16pt might
be fine for your eyes but totally wrong for mine. Who's looking at
your site? Just you?

Jukka K. Korpela

Stan said:
Due to a bug in IE.

No, it's not a bug. It's not a bug to work according to specifications
even when this means helping the author to hurt users.
The user *should* be able to increase/decrease
font size as needed

Of course. But that's a different issue. By CSS rules, the user is able
to do that by instructing the browser not to apply style sheets, or not
to apply the author style sheet, or to apply a user style sheet that
overrides things in the author style sheet.

We've gone through this a couple of time.

Neredbojias

As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.

Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
That's where Opera screwed up.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
That's where Opera screwed up.

PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may be
the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used to get
virtually all my progs from shareware.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias

PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may
be the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used
to get virtually all my progs from shareware.

PPS: What is that little picture I get on the left of Xnews (The shark)?
An attachment?

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom? That's where
Opera screwed up.

There's no need for Colorzilla it to do text-only zoom; that's what FF
does natively. That action is not lost when the extension is
installed; full zoom is simply added.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias

PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may be
the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used to get
virtually all my progs from shareware.

It's the best.

But there's better: a version newer than that 4-year-old release you're
using. :)

Read carefully: http://blinkynet.net/comp/xnewsrels.html

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
There's no need for Colorzilla it to do text-only zoom; that's what FF
does natively. That action is not lost when the extension is
installed; full zoom is simply added.

Excellent! I shall endeavor to acquire that faculty anon. (-IOW, I'm
gonna d/l it soon!)

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
It's the best.

But there's better: a version newer than that 4-year-old release
you're using. :)

Uh huh, uh huh, that's right, that's right... The site I d/led it from
said it was version 8, not 5.04. (Just looked at the help/about.) I could
re-Google, find that site, and lambast them good, but I, -er, just don't
feel like it.

Did so and it's now d/led. Will install forthwith (if I don't stall).
Mucho felicitations and benefactions to you, the missus, and any possible
sardines which may be infiltrating your marine life.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

Uh huh, uh huh, that's right, that's right... The site I d/led it from
said it was version 8, not 5.04. (Just looked at the help/about.) I
could re-Google, find that site, and lambast them good, but I, -er, just
don't feel like it.

Did so and it's now d/led. Will install forthwith (if I don't stall).
Mucho felicitations and benefactions to you, the missus, and any possible
sardines which may be infiltrating your marine life.

Remember: "installation" is simply overwriting your xnews.exe with the one
in the test.zip archive.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Jonathan N. Little"
That is the special PNG in the header, X-Face header was explained to
me by Blinky

http://message-id.net/<[email protected]
net.net%3E

Yeah, I did some Googling and got to giggling when I read about the X-face
thing (-sounds like porn, you know.) Anyway, there will hopefully be a
text-stream image header attached to this mess. I also read that
somebody's working on colorizing them, but it's still beta.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
Remember: "installation" is simply overwriting your xnews.exe with the
one in the test.zip archive.

Gotcha, read it in the pre-stall stuff, too. That's another thing I like
about X-no "official" install crap; just zipfiles/create folder/move
files/click on .exe. That install stuff doesn't really do clients any
good; it's more for the benefit of the purveyors.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

Gotcha, read it in the pre-stall stuff, too. That's another thing I like
about X-no "official" install crap; just zipfiles/create folder/move
files/click on .exe. That install stuff doesn't really do clients any
good; it's more for the benefit of the purveyors.

That makes it easy to migrate the program to another system (or sync it
with another system), too. If you have set it up in the same location
(xnews folder has the same path) in each, you can just copy that folder
from one machine to the other. Hell, if your system allows USB
execution I think you can just carry it with you on a thumb drive and
run it from there wherever you are. :)

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, "Jonathan N. Little"

Yeah, I did some Googling and got to giggling when I read about the
X-face thing (-sounds like porn, you know.) Anyway, there will
hopefully be a text-stream image header attached to this mess. I also
read that somebody's working on colorizing them, but it's still beta.

I used to know someone - a friend's father - who looked just like
Einstein. And he was a college prof, too, so I'm sure he enjoyed that.
(Or he wouldn't have done the look with the hair and moustache.) :)

Is that your first shot at flying an X-Face? If so, congratulations. They
can't have any white space, and most of the time first-timers manage to
get a <CR> in them, which totally hashes them.