How can I get font-size to remain constant in Firefox?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Norman Swartz, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
    in IE?

    <head>
    p {color : 0000FF; font-size : 16pt!Important;}
    </head>

    In IE, when one clicks on the font-size selector icon and chooses
    a display size (e.g. "smallest" or "largest"), the on-screen text
    remains exactly at 16 points.

    But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
    <ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

    How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
    in the <style>...</style> definition?

    Norman Swartz, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Norman Swartz

    Wÿrm Guest

    "Norman Swartz" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:Xns97987A98B280Dswartzsfuca@64.59.144.76...

    > How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
    > in IE?

    you CAN'T.

    <snip>

    > p {color : 0000FF; font-size : 16pt!Important;}

    You can't __force__ font-size to anything specific, not even in IE, user can
    override them easily. And don't use fontsize as pt on webpages, rather use %
    instead.

    <snip>

    Wÿrm, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Norman Swartz

    Jose Guest

    > But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
    > <ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

    That's what it's supposed to do. It is obeying the user.

    > How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
    > in the <style>...</style> definition?

    In other words, you want it to disobey the user? Thankfully, you can't.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

    Jose, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Norman Swartz

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Norman Swartz <> quothed:

    > How can I get the following coding to work in Firefox as it does
    > in IE?

    Unfortunately, the IE behavior is all but obsolete. Future font-sizing
    will be variable, fluid, and changeable. Opera even changes the size of
    graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't a dependable option, either.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Neredbojias wrote:

    > Opera even changes the size of graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't a
    > dependable option, either.

    As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Norman Swartz

    Stan McCann Guest

    Norman Swartz <> wrote in
    > In IE, when one clicks on the font-size selector icon and chooses
    > a display size (e.g. "smallest" or "largest"), the on-screen text
    > remains exactly at 16 points.

    Due to a bug in IE. The user *should* be able to increase/decrease
    font size as needed.

    > But when one does the equivalent in Firefox (e.g. pressing
    > <ctrl>- or <ctrl>+ ) the on-screen text changes in size.

    As it should.

    > How can I force Firefox to observe the font-size specification
    > in the <style>...</style> definition?

    Thankfully, you can't. And why would you want to anyway? 16pt might
    be fine for your eyes but totally wrong for mine. Who's looking at
    your site? Just you?

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

    Stan McCann, Apr 2, 2006
  7. Stan McCann wrote:

    > Norman Swartz <> wrote in
    >
    >>In IE, when one clicks on the font-size selector icon and chooses
    >>a display size (e.g. "smallest" or "largest"), the on-screen text
    >>remains exactly at 16 points.

    > Due to a bug in IE.

    No, it's not a bug. It's not a bug to work according to specifications
    even when this means helping the author to hurt users.

    > The user *should* be able to increase/decrease
    > font size as needed

    Of course. But that's a different issue. By CSS rules, the user is able
    to do that by instructing the browser not to apply style sheets, or not
    to apply the author style sheet, or to apply a user style sheet that
    overrides things in the author style sheet.

    We've gone through this a couple of time.

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 2, 2006
  8. Norman Swartz

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark <>
    declaimed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> Opera even changes the size of graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't a
    >> dependable option, either.

    > As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.

    Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
    That's where Opera screwed up.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice Learner

    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  9. Norman Swartz

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
    <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:

    > To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    > <> declaimed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Opera even changes the size of graphics on zoom, so imaging text
    >>> isn't a dependable option, either.

    >> As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.
    >>

    > Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
    > That's where Opera screwed up.

    PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may be
    the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used to get
    virtually all my progs from shareware.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice Learner

    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  10. Norman Swartz

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
    <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:

    > To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
    > <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:
    >
    >> To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> declaimed:

    >>> As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.
    >>>

    >> Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
    >> That's where Opera screwed up.
    >>

    > PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may
    > be the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used
    > to get virtually all my progs from shareware.

    PPS: What is that little picture I get on the left of Xnews (The shark)?
    An attachment?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice Learner

    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  11. Neredbojias wrote:
    > To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
    > <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:
    >
    >> To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
    >> <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:
    >>
    >>> To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    >>> <> declaimed:

    >>> Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom?
    >>> That's where Opera screwed up.
    >>>

    >> PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may
    >> be the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used
    >> to get virtually all my progs from shareware.
    >>

    > PPS: What is that little picture I get on the left of Xnews (The shark)?
    > An attachment?

    That is the special PNG in the header, X-Face header was explained to me
    by Blinky

    http://message-id.net/<>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 2, 2006
  12. Neredbojias wrote:

    > To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    > <> declaimed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Opera even changes the size of graphics on zoom, so imaging text isn't
    >>> a dependable option, either.

    >> As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.

    > Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom? That's where
    > Opera screwed up.

    There's no need for Colorzilla it to do text-only zoom; that's what FF
    does natively. That action is not lost when the extension is
    installed; full zoom is simply added.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2006
  13. Neredbojias wrote:

    > To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
    > <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declaimed:
    >
    >> To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> declaimed:

    >>> As does FF, if you use the Colorzilla extension to do your zooming.
    >>>

    >> Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom? That's
    >> where Opera screwed up.
    >>

    > PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may be
    > the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used to get
    > virtually all my progs from shareware.

    It's the best.

    But there's better: a version newer than that 4-year-old release you're
    using. :)

    Read carefully: http://blinkynet.net/comp/xnewsrels.html

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2006
  14. Norman Swartz

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    <> declaimed:

    >> Does FF w/Colorzilla do _both_ full zoom and text-only zoom? That's
    >> where Opera screwed up.

    > There's no need for Colorzilla it to do text-only zoom; that's what FF
    > does natively. That action is not lost when the extension is
    > installed; full zoom is simply added.

    Excellent! I shall endeavor to acquire that faculty anon. (-IOW, I'm
    gonna d/l it soon!)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice Learner

    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  15. Norman Swartz

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    <> declaimed:

    >> PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just
    >> may be the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I
    >> used to get virtually all my progs from shareware.

    > It's the best.
    >
    > But there's better: a version newer than that 4-year-old release
    > you're using. :)

    Uh huh, uh huh, that's right, that's right... The site I d/led it from
    said it was version 8, not 5.04. (Just looked at the help/about.) I could
    re-Google, find that site, and lambast them good, but I, -er, just don't
    feel like it.

    > Read carefully: http://blinkynet.net/comp/xnewsrels.html

    Did so and it's now d/led. Will install forthwith (if I don't stall).
    Mucho felicitations and benefactions to you, the missus, and any possible
    sardines which may be infiltrating your marine life.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice Learner

    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  16. Neredbojias wrote:

    > To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    > <> declaimed:
    >
    >>> PS: These last 2 messages were brought to you by Xnews, which just may
    >>> be the last great program to come out of the shareware market. I used
    >>> to get virtually all my progs from shareware.

    >> It's the best.
    >>
    >> But there's better: a version newer than that 4-year-old release you're
    >> using. :)

    > Uh huh, uh huh, that's right, that's right... The site I d/led it from
    > said it was version 8, not 5.04. (Just looked at the help/about.) I
    > could re-Google, find that site, and lambast them good, but I, -er, just
    > don't feel like it.
    >
    >> Read carefully: http://blinkynet.net/comp/xnewsrels.html

    > Did so and it's now d/led. Will install forthwith (if I don't stall).
    > Mucho felicitations and benefactions to you, the missus, and any possible
    > sardines which may be infiltrating your marine life.

    Remember: "installation" is simply overwriting your xnews.exe with the one
    in the test.zip archive.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2006
  17. Norman Swartz

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> declaimed:

    >> PPS: What is that little picture I get on the left of Xnews (The
    >> shark)? An attachment?
    >>

    > That is the special PNG in the header, X-Face header was explained to
    > me by Blinky
    >
    > http://message-id.net/<
    > net.net%3E

    Yeah, I did some Googling and got to giggling when I read about the X-face
    thing (-sounds like porn, you know.) Anyway, there will hopefully be a
    text-stream image header attached to this mess. I also read that
    somebody's working on colorizing them, but it's still beta.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice Learner

    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  18. Norman Swartz

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    <> declaimed:

    >>> Read carefully: http://blinkynet.net/comp/xnewsrels.html

    >> Did so and it's now d/led. Will install forthwith (if I don't
    >> stall). Mucho felicitations and benefactions to you, the missus, and
    >> any possible sardines which may be infiltrating your marine life.

    > Remember: "installation" is simply overwriting your xnews.exe with the
    > one in the test.zip archive.

    Gotcha, read it in the pre-stall stuff, too. That's another thing I like
    about X-news: no "official" install crap; just zipfiles/create folder/move
    files/click on .exe. That install stuff doesn't really do clients any
    good; it's more for the benefit of the purveyors.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice Learner

    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  19. Neredbojias wrote:

    > To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    > <> declaimed:

    >>> Did so and it's now d/led. Will install forthwith (if I don't stall).
    >>> Mucho felicitations and benefactions to you, the missus, and any
    >>> possible sardines which may be infiltrating your marine life.

    >> Remember: "installation" is simply overwriting your xnews.exe with the
    >> one in the test.zip archive.

    > Gotcha, read it in the pre-stall stuff, too. That's another thing I like
    > about X-news: no "official" install crap; just zipfiles/create folder/move
    > files/click on .exe. That install stuff doesn't really do clients any
    > good; it's more for the benefit of the purveyors.

    That makes it easy to migrate the program to another system (or sync it
    with another system), too. If you have set it up in the same location
    (xnews folder has the same path) in each, you can just copy that folder
    from one machine to the other. Hell, if your system allows USB
    execution I think you can just carry it with you on a thumb drive and
    run it from there wherever you are. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2006
  20. Neredbojias wrote:

    > To further the education of mankind, "Jonathan N. Little"
    > <> declaimed:
    >
    >>> PPS: What is that little picture I get on the left of Xnews (The
    >>> shark)? An attachment?
    >>>

    >> That is the special PNG in the header, X-Face header was explained to
    >> me by Blinky
    >>
    >> http://message-id.net/<
    >> net.net%3E
    >>

    > Yeah, I did some Googling and got to giggling when I read about the
    > X-face thing (-sounds like porn, you know.) Anyway, there will
    > hopefully be a text-stream image header attached to this mess. I also
    > read that somebody's working on colorizing them, but it's still beta.

    I used to know someone - a friend's father - who looked just like
    Einstein. And he was a college prof, too, so I'm sure he enjoyed that.
    (Or he wouldn't have done the look with the hair and moustache.) :)

    Is that your first shot at flying an X-Face? If so, congratulations. They
    can't have any white space, and most of the time first-timers manage to
    get a <CR> in them, which totally hashes them.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2006