How can I get selected Checklistbox Items to Literal in Placeholde

Christiaan Nieuwlaat

Hi,

I'm in need of a solution for the following problem:

I've got an ASP.NET page which contains a placeholder.
The placeholder will contain a dynamically added checklistbox control where
the request["mode"] == "edit", and it should contain literal controls for
each selected item of the checklistbox when request["mode"] != "edit".

The problem is that I can get it to show the checklistbox on editmode, but
it seems to forget the selected values when the page has a postback.

Could someone please help me to get it working?

Here is the code behind:

using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Data;
using System.Data.SqlClient;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
using sesam.common;
using sesam.controls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using sesam.core.test;

namespace sesam.pages.order
{
/// <summary>
/// Summary description for projects.
/// </summary>
public class SurveyPage : BasePage
{
protected Content selector;
protected Content commontContent;
protected Content resultContent;
protected sesam.controls.Layout Default;
protected HtmlForm mainForm;
protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm Form1;
protected Label lbProdcat, lbOrder, lbDate, lbExaminor;
protected DropDownList DDArticle,DDAssesment;
protected Content pageTitle;
protected PlaceHolder AssessmentItems;
protected CheckBoxList cblAssessmentItems;

protected TextBox ArtComment;
protected BaseOrder myOrder;

// data sets
protected DataSet DSOrders = new DataSet();
protected DataSet DSArticles = new DataSet();

protected SqlDataAdapter DAOrders,DAArticles;
protected sesam.controls.Content commonContent;
protected sesam.controls.Content watchContent;
protected sesam.controls.Content pageContent;
protected SqlConnection CNCommon, CNGeneralAssessment;

public string getProdCatString(int id)
{
SqlConnection CNPCS = new
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["SESAM_DSN"]);
SqlCommand CMDPCS = new SqlCommand("SELECT Name from tblTerm where TermId
= @pcid",CNPCS);

CMDPCS.Parameters.Add("@pcid",SqlDbType.Int);
CMDPCS.Parameters["@pcid"].Value = id;

CNPCS.Open();
string retval = (string)CMDPCS.ExecuteScalar();
CNPCS.Close();

return retval;
}

public SurveyPage()
{
this.Load += new EventHandler(Page_Load);
}

private void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

if (!IsPostBack)
{
ViewState["CurrentArticle"] = null;
if (Request["TorId"] == null)
ViewState["TorId"] = 0;
else
ViewState["TorId"] = int.Parse(Request["TorId"]);

myOrder = new BaseOrder((int)ViewState["TorId"]);

lbOrder.Text = myOrder.id.ToString() + " - [" +myOrder.laminator+"] - "
+ myOrder.entrydate.ToShortDateString();
lbProdcat.Text = getProdCatString(myOrder.productcategoryId);
DDArticle.DataSource = myOrder.articles;
DDArticle.DataTextField = "name";
DDArticle.DataValueField = "id";
DDArticle.DataBind();

lbDate.Text = DateTime.Now.ToShortDateString();
lbExaminor.Text = "C. Nau"; // this should be changed to the logged in
user

Article CurrentArticle =
(Article)myOrder.articles[DDArticle.SelectedIndex];
ArtComment.Text = CurrentArticle.comment;
ListItem FindedItem =
DDAssesment.Items.FindByValue(CurrentArticle.licassessment);
if ( FindedItem != null )
FindedItem.Selected = true;

// setup different datasources
CNCommon = new
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["SESAM_DSN"]);
CNCommon.Close();

}

if (Request["mode"] != "edit")
{
DDAssesment.Enabled = false;

Label NoAssess = new Label();
NoAssess.Text = "- No Assessment Available";
AssessmentItems.Controls.Add(NoAssess);
AssessmentItems.Controls.Add(cblAssessmentItems);

int selectedcount = 0;
foreach (ListItem li in cblAssessmentItems.Items)
{
selectedcount += li.Selected ? 1:0;
}

Literal AssItem = new Literal();
AssItem.Text = selectedcount.ToString();

}
else
{
cblAssessmentItems = new CheckBoxList();
cblAssessmentItems.Items.Add("The article complies with technical
standards");
cblAssessmentItems.Items.Add("The article doesn`t comply with technical
standards");
cblAssessmentItems.Items.Add("The article should be retested");
cblAssessmentItems.Items.Add("The article complies with technical
standards after improvement of the above mentioned disapproved criteria");
cblAssessmentItems.Items.Add("Please confirm by letter");
cblAssessmentItems.Items.Add("The article doesn't obtain a license");
AssessmentItems.Controls.Add(cblAssessmentItems);
}

ViewState["CurrentArticle"] = DDArticle.SelectedItem.Value;

}

public string GetWorkingArticle()
{
return DDArticle.SelectedItem.Value;
}

InitializeComponent();
base.OnInit(e);

}

/// <summary>
/// </summary>
private void InitializeComponent()
{

}

#endregion

}

Brock Allen

The problem is that I can get it to show the checklistbox on editmode,
but it seems to forget the selected values when the page has a
postback.

If you have dynamically added controls to the form, then you need to recreate
them upon every postback. Override CreateChildControls to do this. Once you've
recreated them upon every postback, then they will maintain their postback
data and state.

Christiaan Nieuwlaat

Thank you, but when I do that they'll be visible in every mode the page is in.

What I'm trying to achieve is this:

pseudo code:

If page mode != edit
if states not already fetched from database do this first
if states altered in postback use alterations
Display state texts as literal controls in the placeholder

else
if states not already fetched from database do this first
if states altered in postback use alterations
show checkboxes with respective states

And because the checkboxes should only be visible when the page is in edit
mode, I'm unsure if creating them in CreateChildControls is possible...

Thank you,

Chris