How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows 7 plateform

clusardi2k

How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows 7 plateform?

Is it also possible to use Look and Feel to make a Windows XP application look like a Windows 7 application and vice versa?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html

In summary, when you use the SystemLookAndFeel, this is what you will see:

Platform Look and Feel
Solaris, Linux with GTK+ 2.2 or later GTK+
Other Solaris, Linux Motif
IBM UNIX IBM*
HP UX HP*
Classic Windows Windows
Windows XP Windows XP
Windows Vista Windows Vista
Macintosh Macintosh

Thanks,

Daniel Pitts

How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows 7 plateform?

Is it also possible to use Look and Feel to make a Windows XP application look like a Windows 7 application and vice versa?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html

In summary, when you use the SystemLookAndFeel, this is what you will see:

Platform Look and Feel
Solaris, Linux with GTK+ 2.2 or later GTK+
Other Solaris, Linux Motif
IBM UNIX IBM*
HP UX HP*
Classic Windows Windows
Windows XP Windows XP
Windows Vista Windows Vista
Macintosh Macintosh

Thanks,

I don't think you can. Some of the plafs may use native widgets, which
look the way they look because the OS makes them look that way.

clusardi2k

I don't think you can. Some of the plafs may use native widgets, which look
the way they look because the OS makes them look that way.

Is there another way to achieve this without using Look And Feel?

Thanks,

Robert Klemme

Is there another way to achieve this without using Look And Feel?

Probably not. I don't think it makes sense though because the whole
point of the native look and feel of Java GUI is that it looks like
other applications on the same platform.

Cheers

robert

Andreas Leitgeb

Robert Klemme said:
Probably not. I don't think it makes sense though because the whole
point of the native look and feel of Java GUI is that it looks like
other applications on the same platform.

In principle, this thing would be "possible", by re-programming
those controls to look exactly like that new-OS's.

I believe to remember, that - in a context different from Java l&f -
Microsoft themselves did something like this. Casually, an application
of them would give a "preview" of what next OS version would look like.
Back in the late days of Windows 3.11, some single apps already looked
like Windows 95 apps. I think, this still happens casually with new
Office releases.

It's not very likely that Microsoft would release a Java l&f of their
next generation OS to be used by Java apps running on previous generation
of their OS. Before you go ahead yourself to copy the new style (boldly
ignoring any legal issues), be sure that the requesting customer really
has the financial backing to pay for implementing an OS-clone and eventual
legal consequences. ;-)