How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows 7 plateform

Discussion in 'Java' started by clusardi2k@aol.com, Oct 11, 2013.

  1. Guest

    How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows 7 plateform?

    Is it also possible to use Look and Feel to make a Windows XP application look like a Windows 7 application and vice versa?

    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html

    In summary, when you use the SystemLookAndFeel, this is what you will see:

    Platform Look and Feel
    Solaris, Linux with GTK+ 2.2 or later GTK+
    Other Solaris, Linux Motif
    IBM UNIX IBM*
    HP UX HP*
    Classic Windows Windows
    Windows XP Windows XP
    Windows Vista Windows Vista
    Macintosh Macintosh

    Thanks,

    , Oct 11, 2013

  2. Daniel Pitts Guest

    Re: How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows7 plateform

    On 10/11/13 11:35 AM, wrote:
    > How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows 7 plateform?
    >
    > Is it also possible to use Look and Feel to make a Windows XP application look like a Windows 7 application and vice versa?
    >
    > http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html
    >

    > In summary, when you use the SystemLookAndFeel, this is what you will see:
    >
    > Platform Look and Feel
    > Solaris, Linux with GTK+ 2.2 or later GTK+
    > Other Solaris, Linux Motif
    > IBM UNIX IBM*
    > HP UX HP*
    > Classic Windows Windows
    > Windows XP Windows XP
    > Windows Vista Windows Vista
    > Macintosh Macintosh
    >
    > Thanks,

    I don't think you can. Some of the plafs may use native widgets, which
    look the way they look because the OS makes them look that way.

    Daniel Pitts, Oct 11, 2013

    > On Friday, October 11, 2013 2:54:32 PM UTC-4, Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > I don't think you can. Some of the plafs may use native widgets, which look
    > the way they look because the OS makes them look that way.

    Is there another way to achieve this without using Look And Feel?

    Thanks,

    , Oct 11, 2013
  4. Re: How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows7 plateform

    On 11.10.2013 21:21, wrote:
    > > On Friday, October 11, 2013 2:54:32 PM UTC-4, Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > > I don't think you can. Some of the plafs may use native widgets, which look
    > > the way they look because the OS makes them look that way.

    > Is there another way to achieve this without using Look And Feel?

    Probably not. I don't think it makes sense though because the whole
    point of the native look and feel of Java GUI is that it looks like
    other applications on the same platform.

    Cheers

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Robert Klemme, Oct 12, 2013
  5. Re: How can I get the Windows Classic Look and Feel on a Windows 7plateform

    Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    > On 11.10.2013 21:21, wrote:
    >> > On Friday, October 11, 2013 2:54:32 PM UTC-4, Daniel Pitts wrote:
    >> > I don't think you can. Some of the plafs may use native widgets, which look
    >> > the way they look because the OS makes them look that way.

    >> Is there another way to achieve this without using Look And Feel?

    > Probably not. I don't think it makes sense though because the whole
    > point of the native look and feel of Java GUI is that it looks like
    > other applications on the same platform.

    In principle, this thing would be "possible", by re-programming
    those controls to look exactly like that new-OS's.

    I believe to remember, that - in a context different from Java l&f -
    Microsoft themselves did something like this. Casually, an application
    of them would give a "preview" of what next OS version would look like.
    Back in the late days of Windows 3.11, some single apps already looked
    like Windows 95 apps. I think, this still happens casually with new
    Office releases.

    It's not very likely that Microsoft would release a Java l&f of their
    next generation OS to be used by Java apps running on previous generation
    of their OS. Before you go ahead yourself to copy the new style (boldly
    ignoring any legal issues), be sure that the requesting customer really
    has the financial backing to pay for implementing an OS-clone and eventual
    legal consequences. ;-)

    Andreas Leitgeb, Oct 12, 2013