    improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
    read them.
    Please help me! Thank you!

    tony, Jun 17, 2007

  2. tony wrote:
    > Hi,
    > now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
    > I've known something in Java:
    > 1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
    > 2.Database(JDBC)
    > 3.GUI (Java Swing)
    > 4.and some others APIs...
    > I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
    > And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
    > improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
    > read them.
    > Please help me! Thank you!

    Well the big difference between Java and C++ is that Java is paltform
    independent and C++ isn't (or, as they say, Java is a platform). All of
    those things can be done in C++ but they would be done differently if
    you were programming Windows, Linux or whatever.

    So the best thing is to decide what platofrm you want to program for,
    and then take your question to the appropriate group.

    comp.os.linux.deveopment.apps or comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    for instance.

    I would have thought that reading books would help more than reading
    source code, but perhaps that is just me.

    john

    John Harrison, Jun 17, 2007

  3. tony

    Guest

    On Jun 17, 5:31 pm, tony <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
    > I've known something in Java:
    > 1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
    > 2.Database(JDBC)
    > 3.GUI (Java Swing)
    > 4.and some others APIs...
    > I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
    > And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
    > improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
    > read them.
    > Please help me! Thank you!

    The difference with Java is that you're given all of these API's as
    part of Java itself, whereas in C++ you have various different
    libraries to achieve these things. I'm from Java myself (er sounds
    like a planet...) and plan to use WxWidgets, although I'm told it's a
    very Java-like library, but I didn't have much choice. I wanted to use
    Sockets and Threads using VS 2005 Express (no MFC...) and it seems to
    have a good reputation.

    If you have money to burn you might try MFC and other MS
    libraries, .NET is very similar to Java, but covers more languages.
    Although NET C++ is managed so it's not "real" C++. There are other
    libraries like Qt and the like, I'm sure there are tons of open source
    ones to choose from for GCC (can run on Win and Linux).

    Gordy

    , Jun 17, 2007
  4. tony

    tony Guest

    John Harrison wrote:
    > tony wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
    >> I've known something in Java:
    >> 1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
    >> 2.Database(JDBC)
    >> 3.GUI (Java Swing)
    >> 4.and some others APIs...
    >> I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
    >> And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
    >> improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
    >> read them.
    >> Please help me! Thank you!

    > Well the big difference between Java and C++ is that Java is paltform
    > independent and C++ isn't (or, as they say, Java is a platform). All of
    > those things can be done in C++ but they would be done differently if
    > you were programming Windows, Linux or whatever.

    I think I would like to programme on Linux.

    > So the best thing is to decide what platofrm you want to program for,
    > and then take your question to the appropriate group.
    >
    > comp.os.linux.deveopment.apps or comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
    >
    > for instance.
    >
    > I would have thought that reading books would help more than reading
    > source code, but perhaps that is just me.
    >
    > john

    Actually, I don't know what books are good and suitable for me to read.
    Do you have any suggestions?

    tony, Jun 17, 2007
  5. >
    > Actually, I don't know what books are good and suitable for me to read.
    > Do you have any suggestions?

    Without knowing more your current knowledge and what you're looking for
    it's hard to be sure.

    But you say you know the basics of C++, when I was in that position I
    found the 'Effective' books by Scott Meyers extremely useful. In fact
    say I'd those books taught me more C++ than anything else I've read.

    'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++' by Scott Meyers.

    john

    John Harrison, Jun 17, 2007
  6. tony

    James Kanze Guest

    On Jun 17, 8:06 am, John Harrison <> wrote:
    > tony wrote:

    > > now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
    > > I've known something in Java:
    > > 1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
    > > 2.Database(JDBC)
    > > 3.GUI (Java Swing)
    > > 4.and some others APIs...
    > > I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
    > > And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
    > > improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
    > > read them.

    > Well the big difference between Java and C++ is that Java is paltform
    > independent and C++ isn't (or, as they say, Java is a platform). All of
    > those things can be done in C++ but they would be done differently if
    > you were programming Windows, Linux or whatever.

    Not completely. The real difference is that Java provides
    standard libraries for all of these things, where as in C++, you
    need third party libraries. If I had to do a GUI in C++, for
    example, I certainly wouldn't program Windows or X specific; I'd
    use wxWidgets, or something along those lines.

    --
    James Kanze (Gabi Software) email:

    James Kanze, Jun 17, 2007
  7. tony

    voger Guest

    John Harrison wrote:

    > 'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++' by Scott Meyers.

    Just a clarification here please. One should read both of them
    or just one of them? 'More Effective C++' is the sequel of 'Effective C++'
    or is just the improved version?

    voger, Jun 17, 2007
  8. tony

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <f53nm3$229j$>, says...
    > John Harrison wrote:
    >

    > > 'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++' by Scott Meyers.
    > >

    > Just a clarification here please. One should read both of them
    > or just one of them? 'More Effective C++' is the sequel of 'Effective C++'
    > or is just the improved version?

    It's a sequel. The "improved version" is the third edition of _Effective
    C++_.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Jun 17, 2007
  9. tony

    tony Guest

    John Harrison wrote:

    >> Actually, I don't know what books are good and suitable for me to read.
    >> Do you have any suggestions?

    > Without knowing more your current knowledge and what you're looking for
    > it's hard to be sure.
    >
    > But you say you know the basics of C++, when I was in that position I
    > found the 'Effective' books by Scott Meyers extremely useful. In fact
    > say I'd those books taught me more C++ than anything else I've read.
    >
    > 'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++' by Scott Meyers.
    >
    > john

    Thank you for your advice!

    Tony

    tony, Jun 18, 2007