how can i intercept messages

Todd Smith

I've read about Browser Helper Objects and how they load in a dll with
IE and can intercept messages and change things. I've got a neat idea
for a change to the icq interface, but I don't want to write a whole
new app. Ideally, (if it worked like a BHO), I could have a dll
installed that would load with icq and interecept messages, so instead
of the icq window popup, something else would happen. Also, people
could keep their icq installations and install mine on top of it. How
can I do this (i'd like to use c++ and windows)? Is there a generic
way to intercept messages going to another program?

-thanks
-todd

Kevin Goodsell

Todd said:
I've read about Browser Helper Objects and how they load in a dll with
IE and can intercept messages and change things. I've got a neat idea
for a change to the icq interface, but I don't want to write a whole
new app. Ideally, (if it worked like a BHO), I could have a dll
installed that would load with icq and interecept messages, so instead
of the icq window popup, something else would happen. Also, people
could keep their icq installations and install mine on top of it. How
can I do this (i'd like to use c++ and windows)? Is there a generic
way to intercept messages going to another program?

-thanks
-todd

This is off-topic in comp.lang.c++. Please re-read the welcome message.

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

Please remove comp.lang.c++ from the cross-post list when replying.
Thank you.

-Kevin