How can I make a calculator in C programming?

JOYCE

Hello,
I'm a new learner.I want to know how to make a calculator in C
programming.
I hope someone can help me .Thanks!

Default User

JOYCE said:
Hello,
I'm a new learner.I want to know how to make a calculator in C
programming.
I hope someone can help me .Thanks!

You haven't given us very much information. Thoroughly describe the
project as you envision it, and tell us what you have already tried.

Brian

Nick Keighley

       I'm a new learner.I want to know how to make a calculator in C
programming.
I hope someone can help me .Thanks!

It might be easier to start with what's called Reverse Polish
Notation (look it up).

Here expressions to be evaluated (calculated) are written
like this

2 2 + (calculates 2 + 2)
3 4 4 + * (calculates 3 * 4 + 4)

the rules are simple:
Read a symbol
if it's a number push it on a stack
if it's an operator remove the top two items from the stack
and apply the operator. Put the result on the stack
When you run out of symbols print what's on the stack

So you need a stack and a way to read symbols.

good luck!

Wolfgang Draxinger

Nick Keighley wrote:

3 4 4 + * (calculates 3 * 4 + 4)

Actually this would calculate 3 * (4 + 4). This is how the stack
looks for every symbol read ('>' prefixes a read element, '='
prefixed a element resulting from a operation, replacing the
elements consumed by the operation; stack grows downwards):

3

3
4

3
4
4
+ -> operator '+' performs addition on the
two topmost elements of the stack, yielding

3
=8

3
8
* -> operator '*' performs multiplication on the
two topmost elements of the stack, yielding

=24

Wolfgang Draxinger

osmium

JOYCE said:
I'm a new learner.I want to know how to make a calculator in C
programming.

There is one in _The C Programming Language_ by Kernighan & Ritchie, fondly
called simply K&R. Any C programmer must eventually have that book so this
may be a good reason to get it now.

Joined
Dec 28, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
calculator

hello guys am trying to write a c programme on a calculator which can calculate the following:
i-Capacitance of capacitors in parallel (using the formular CT= C1+C2+C3....)
ii-Capacitance of capacitors in series (using the formular 1/CT= 1/C1+1/C2+1/C3..)
iii-Charge stored in capacitor (using the formular Q=CV)
iv-Energy stored in capacitor (using the formular 0.5CV^2=0.5QV=0.5Q^2/C)

the attachement is just below, can someone help me please, it will be appreciated thank you:D

Attachments

  • scan02.jpg
    scan02.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 239