How can I make use of the USB-port from Java ?

Arne Styve

Hi,

I am curretly looking into a project where a USB-port is to be used, but I
cannot find any implemented Java API's for USB to use on the Windows
platform. I would be very greatful to get som hints about good USB API
implementations out there.

Any help appreciated.

Arne

Thomas Kellerer

I am curretly looking into a project where a USB-port is to be used, but I
cannot find any implemented Java API's for USB to use on the Windows
platform. I would be very greatful to get som hints about good USB API
implementations out there.

Did you try http://javax-usb.org/

Thomas

Arne Styve

Thomas Kellerer said:

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I looked at it, but it's for Linux only. As it says on the web-page:
javax-usb-ri-windows : This is a pre-alpha Windows implementation (it does
not work, it needs a kernel driver).

Arne

Oliver Wong

Arne Styve said:
Hi Thomas,

Yes, I looked at it, but it's for Linux only. As it says on the web-page:
javax-usb-ri-windows : This is a pre-alpha Windows implementation (it does
not work, it needs a kernel driver).

What about http://www.steelbrothers.ch/jusb/ ?

And if that doesn't work, how about listing the ones you tried so we
don't waste our times recommending stuff that you know won't work for you?

- Oliver

Mindundi

How about compiling and running the linux implementation over Cygwin? Is it
possible?

Arne Styve

Oliver Wong said:
What about http://www.steelbrothers.ch/jusb/ ?

And if that doesn't work, how about listing the ones you tried so we
don't waste our times recommending stuff that you know won't work for you?

- Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Please do not let me waste your time. Searching the internet I can manage on
my own. I was hoping to find someone on this newsgroup that had experience
with developing solutions in Java using the USB-port and hence could
recommend a suitable library. Sorry if my initial question was not clear
enough in that respect.

Anyway, thanks for your tip. I looked at it (on your recomendation), but it
seams to be quite prototypish and incomplete ( An implementation attempt to
provide jUSB for Windows 2000/XP as it says on the website).

Arne

Arne Styve

Mindundi said:
How about compiling and running the linux implementation over Cygwin? Is
it possible?

Thanks for the tip. But isn't CygWin "just" a way to get some Unix/Linux
commands/tools on the windows platform ? You still have to rebuild the
applications froms sourcecode for the Windows platform, I beleive, and hence
you will need specific Windows drivers for the USB-port, probably.

I'll chekc into it a bit further.

Thanks !

Arne

Arne Styve

vvk said:
hello,
try with the java's comm api to access the usb access.
__Vasantha kumar

Hi,

The Java comm API does not support USB, and as far as I have been able to
find out, there are no concrete plans to include USB either.

Arne

Anthony.McClay

It sounds like you have a solution for you problem, but maybe no a
great one.

I was reading a book at the book store about Java's new IO Packages
(NIO) which gives you the ability to access USB ports.

I believe this is available for Java 1.4 and java 1.5 and is cross
platform.

perhaps a book also with examples. Please take a look at :
http://press.oreilly.com/pub/pr/1581

Best of Luck, Please post back when you have a known solution. You
would think this would be an easy questions, but I don't personally
know of anyone who has done anything with USB and java.

Tony McClay

Arne Styve

It sounds like you have a solution for you problem, but maybe no a
great one.

I was reading a book at the book store about Java's new IO Packages
(NIO) which gives you the ability to access USB ports.

I believe this is available for Java 1.4 and java 1.5 and is cross
platform.

perhaps a book also with examples. Please take a look at :
http://press.oreilly.com/pub/pr/1581

Best of Luck, Please post back when you have a known solution. You
would think this would be an easy questions, but I don't personally
know of anyone who has done anything with USB and java.

Tony McClay

Hi Tony,

You're right, it's a solution, but not a very great one.

I'll check out the book. From the review of the book it looks promising, but
if the java.nio API covers USB, why doesn't it say so on the official
web-pages at Sun.....
Also found good support for USB on the SPARC-platform.....

I'll keep you updated, if I find a better solution to this.

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards Arne

Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
hello arne

Arne Styve said:
Hi!

Problem solved (well, partly). Got a tip from the Norwgian newsgroup
(no.it.programmering.java) about a recent article:
http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2006/07/06/java-and-usb.html?page=1 about
Java and USB.
Also found a commercial library (from the same article) that I might try
out: http://www.icaste.com/jcommusb.htm

Thanks for trying to help me out here :)

- Arne

I'm also trying to read usb prot through java till now i didn't found any best solution for this. My quetion is same as urs. If you found an answer to your question then please mail me the solution to my email (e-mail address removed)

i will be very thankful to you..

regards,
javed