How can I perfect the look of my asp.net site?

Guest

Hi,
I've been looking at many sites, such as www.idunno.org and
www.developerfusion.co.uk , and these sites seem to have a very professional
look about them. Alas when I create my sites, though funcioning properly, the
look and feel leaves alot to be deserved.
I'm after a layout where there is a header section on all pages, a
navigation section on the left of all pages, and the page content takes the
remainder - it shouldn't be rocket science. Could anyone please tell me or
point me to any articles on creating decent presentable page layouts?
I seem to be using tables for my layouts which may be a bad idea. I also
seem to have been having problems getting more than one panel on the same
line, though I believe panels may well be the way to go.

Any help, however triviasl would be most appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Andy

MW de Jager

Use a frameset for your start page. Put your side menu in a usercontrol and
drag that onto an aspx webform. Set the left frame of your frameset to
point at that.

Do the same for the header frame.

Edit the HTML for the menu page/pages to use the respective aspx pages and
the main frame of your frameset when a menu link is clicked. It is really
very simple. No need for panels, 'cause each menu item points to a
different aspx page.

Kind regards
MW

Kevin Spencer

I'm after a layout where there is a header section on all pages, a
navigation section on the left of all pages, and the page content takes
the
remainder - it shouldn't be rocket science.

I agree, it shouldn't be rocket science, but undofrtunately, it's not far
from rocket science. Why? Because different browsers interpret HTML and CSS
differently, and user OS's run on systems using different screen
resolutions.

You can use CSS and/or User Controls to get your basic layout (in ASP.Net
2.0 you can use Master Pages as well). Still, you're going to have a time
making it look good in all your target browsers!

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP