How can I prevent HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Errors...

Dean R. Henderson

Hi,

I am getting HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Errors when I try to create a new
ASP.NET Web Service or ASP.NET Web Application. I have been able to create
these in the past and my previous ones can still be opened, so I suspect I
have done something to mess up my security configuration or settings.

I am using Visual Studio 2003 on a Windows 2000 Server running IIS 5.

Thanks for any help to resolve this problem.

Thanks,

Dean

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Dean,

Based on my research and experience, please try the following steps on your
side.

1. Please delete the ASPNET account using Computer Management.

a) Select Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Local
Users and Groups->Users
b) In the right pane, right click the ASPNET account and select "Delete"

2. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base article carefully to repair
IIS mapping.

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306005>

3. Please restart IIS and test this issue again.

a) Select Start->Run...
b) Type the command "iisreset"

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Dean R. Henderson

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your suggestion, but it turns out I had already applied the same
instructions to my environment (you provided them to me in a post to this
message board on 10/21/2003 at 6:53PM). It appears that is when my HTTP/1.1
500 problems started.

The reason the suggestion caused problems for my environment is that I run
an Active Directory environment and host IIS Web Servers and SQL 2000
Servers on AD Controllers. This does not allow use of a local ASPNET user
account. Therefore, I had to create a Domain Account that I named ASPUSER
and modify my machine.config file to use this account instead of ASPNET.

When deleting the ASPUSER account and then adding it back, the instructions
required to get everything working again require more work than is outlined
in the Knowledge Base article you mention in Step 2.

I have resolved my HTTP/1.1 500 errors by giving the ASPUSER account (after
adding it back in) access to the IIS Web that was generating the HTTP/1.1
500 errors ... It had access before I deleted the account, but after adding
the account back in, it is treated as a new account with none of the access
it had been previously granted.

Best Regards,

Dean

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Dean,

I am glad to know that the problem is resolved.

You are right that the is not a local ASPNET account in a Domain
Controller. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base article for the
detailed information regarding this issue.

ASP.NET Does Not Work with the Default ASPNET Account on a Domain Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315158

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Dean R. Henderson

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the reference to the KB article ... I went thru this process many
months back and knew most of the steps to follow, but did not have all the
information available from this KB article. That will help make sure I did
not miss a step.

I really appreciate the quick response!

Take care,

Dean