How can I queue requests for an XML service?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jerry H., Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Jerry H.

    Jerry H. Guest

    I want to set up a XML service that will act as a middle tier between
    several different client apps and a rather expensive and outdated ODBC
    client.

    Currently, wehave several machines with an particular ODBC client
    installed so that these machines can access a UNIX accounting systems's
    core tables directly. But the problem is that we have only 3 access
    license; in other words, while we're free to install the ODBC on as
    many machines as we like, only 3 programs can actually be connected to
    the UNIX db at any given moment; attempts to go about that result in
    failed calls.

    So, what we'd like to do is introduce an XML service that uses a single
    ODBC client seat, and then all other apps would be upgradeed to use the
    XML service.

    My question is this: how do I set up some kind of FIFO within the XML
    service, so that it can queue multiple requests from any number of
    applications. Is this taken care of automatically by IIS, or will IIS
    attempt to open any many connections to the ODBC as it can, rather than
    one at a time?
    Jerry H., Feb 18, 2006

  2. Jerry H.

    Josh Twist Guest

    I think there might be a number of approaches you could take..

    - write your own thread pool where you can queue items from each
    request and limit the maximum number executing to the appropriate
    amount (you maybe able to use Jon Skeet's threadpool available here:
    http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/miscutil/).

    - ADO.NET uses connection pools. Maybe you can adjust the size of the
    connection pool to 1 (or 3 or whatever makes most sense)?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...onconnectionpoolingforodbcnetdataprovider.asp

    This would be the easiest solution as you wouldn't have to do very
    much, though you may run into problems with Timeouts

    - Have a look at MSMQ (Microsoft's Message Queueing technology). I'm
    not sure your requirement would be a standard use of MSMQ, but you
    maybe able to tweak some settings leverage it to achieve what you need.

    - A very full solution might use a combination of technologies like
    this example: http://www.15seconds.com/issue/031202.htm

    - get some more licences... :)

    Good Luck

    Josh