How can i read a directory listing into an array

Vasilis Serghi

I would like to make a call to the OS to give me a listing of the files in
the current directory. How can i do this in a console environment?

I have tried system("dir");, but I'm not sure how to get that info into an
array. I could pipe the info into a file like this system: ("dir >
file.txt");, but I want to avoid creating files if possible.

I am a newbie, so excuse me if this is a simple question.

Joona I Palaste

Vasilis Serghi said:
I would like to make a call to the OS to give me a listing of the files in
the current directory. How can i do this in a console environment?
I have tried system("dir");, but I'm not sure how to get that info into an
array. I could pipe the info into a file like this system: ("dir >
file.txt");, but I want to avoid creating files if possible.
I am a newbie, so excuse me if this is a simple question.

The only way in ISO standard C is to do the piping you describe above.
For more operation-system-friendly approaches, consult a newsgroup
dedicated to your own implementation.