how can I reduce the transfer size of a webpage?

Jeff

Hi

asp.net 3.5

Google Website Toolkit reports that my site is slow to load pages, it says
it takes 3.3 seconds. This results in a drop in google rankings from serp
#30 to #150. The site was at #30 in google, but then I replaced some google
adsense advert with amazon banners.

When I become aware of this problem I removed the amazon banners to
implemented the google adsense adverts again.

Here is an oveview of filesizes of default.aspx:
wth amazon banners it was 411kb
with google adsense it is 217kb

So I reduced the default.aspx with about 195 kb, my site jumped up to #30
again... - but I need it to be in top 5, being at #30 means in a way that it
doesn't exists :(

But still Google Adsense Toolkit complains, it mentions "Enable
Compression":
"Compressing the following resources with gzip could reduce their transfer
size by 90.0KiB (81% reduction)."
Then it lists the default.aspx, the .css file and 3 WebResource.axd files

Any ideas how to reduce the file size? Although GWT mention gzip, I'm not
sure gzip apply to asp.net... maybe there is somekind of cache I have to
look into...

what you recommend me to do?

Jason Keats

Jeff said:
But still Google Adsense Toolkit complains, it mentions "Enable
Compression":
"Compressing the following resources with gzip could reduce their transfer
size by 90.0KiB (81% reduction)."
Then it lists the default.aspx, the .css file and 3 WebResource.axd files

Any ideas how to reduce the file size? Although GWT mention gzip, I'm not
sure gzip apply to asp.net... maybe there is somekind of cache I have to
look into...

what you recommend me to do?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771003(WS.10).aspx

Jeff

this is not IIS7, but IIS6... and i spoke with the hosting company today and
they said they couldn't configure caching in the webserver, because it's
shared among other users.. so I'm left with impementing it myself - if that
is possible

Jason Keats

Jeff said:
this is not IIS7, but IIS6... and i spoke with the hosting company today and
they said they couldn't configure caching in the webserver, because it's
shared among other users.. so I'm left with impementing it myself - if that
is possible

I didn't mention caching. I was suggesting that HTTP compression could
be enabled on your web server.

To enable it on IIS6 is a little harder, but most customers would be
pleased to (automatically) have faster loading web pages and use less
bandwidth.

But, as you don't control the webserver, you might consider using an
HttpModule that compresses your page content...

For example:

I've no idea how well http://blowery.org/httpcompress/ works, but it's
probably worth trying the latest version.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Hi Jason, just want you to know I'm very thankful for this information you
are providing me with

- all the best :)