    asp.net 3.5

    Google Website Toolkit reports that my site is slow to load pages, it says
    it takes 3.3 seconds. This results in a drop in google rankings from serp
    #30 to #150. The site was at #30 in google, but then I replaced some google
    adsense advert with amazon banners.

    When I become aware of this problem I removed the amazon banners to
    implemented the google adsense adverts again.

    Here is an oveview of filesizes of default.aspx:
    wth amazon banners it was 411kb
    with google adsense it is 217kb

    So I reduced the default.aspx with about 195 kb, my site jumped up to #30
    again... - but I need it to be in top 5, being at #30 means in a way that it
    doesn't exists :(

    But still Google Adsense Toolkit complains, it mentions "Enable
    Compression":
    "Compressing the following resources with gzip could reduce their transfer
    size by 90.0KiB (81% reduction)."
    Then it lists the default.aspx, the .css file and 3 WebResource.axd files

    Any ideas how to reduce the file size? Although GWT mention gzip, I'm not
    sure gzip apply to asp.net... maybe there is somekind of cache I have to
    look into...

    what you recommend me to do?
    Jeff, Jan 29, 2010

  2. Jeff

    Jason Keats Guest

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771003(WS.10).aspx
    Jason Keats, Jan 29, 2010

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    this is not IIS7, but IIS6... and i spoke with the hosting company today and
    they said they couldn't configure caching in the webserver, because it's
    shared among other users.. so I'm left with impementing it myself - if that
    is possible

    Jeff, Jan 29, 2010
  4. Jeff

    Jason Keats Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > this is not IIS7, but IIS6... and i spoke with the hosting company today and
    > they said they couldn't configure caching in the webserver, because it's
    > shared among other users.. so I'm left with impementing it myself - if that
    > is possible

    I didn't mention caching. I was suggesting that HTTP compression could
    be enabled on your web server.

    To enable it on IIS6 is a little harder, but most customers would be
    pleased to (automatically) have faster loading web pages and use less
    bandwidth.

    But, as you don't control the webserver, you might consider using an
    HttpModule that compresses your page content...

    For example:

    I've no idea how well http://blowery.org/httpcompress/ works, but it's
    probably worth trying the latest version.

    Hope this helps.
    Jason Keats, Jan 30, 2010
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hi Jason, just want you to know I'm very thankful for this information you
    are providing me with

    - all the best :)

    Jeff, Jan 30, 2010