how can I retreave a key from view state

Guest

I have a short datalist that has a key field. on item select i want to open a
panel that has the details from the record selected. If at all possible i do
not want to re-run the sp, re-fill the dataset to get the key. It's being
held ok in viewstate so why not use it? All I need is the key from the record
selected on the datalist to grab the single record using another sp .
1. is there a way to pass this key field directly? or
2. is there a way to retreave the key from viewstate?
thanks
kes

Guest

thanks, it was there. I was trying to retreave the key via e.item. (...)
well, the answer was obvious.
thanks
iou1
kes

Eliyahu Goldin

Is the datalist already in ViewState? If it is not, enable view state. Does
the datalist item include the key field? If it is not, include it with css
rule display:none. Have done this, you will get the datalist with the key
back on every postback, and, if you know what item is selected, you can get
the key value from the item.

Eliyahu