How can I stop users from viewing pages older than (e.g.) 10 minutes... ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Shiperton Henethe, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Hi

    I am advising a "sealed-bid" auction website - i.e. the content
    changes fairly often (but not in real time).

    We dont want users looking at pages more than say ten minute old.

    "No-cache" is causing trouble because local anchors seem to
    be causing the entire page to reload!

    What we need is for the page to reload each time it is
    viewed, if it is more than (say) ten minutes since it
    was last viewed.

    Though obviously we dont want the page being dumbly reloaded
    for no reason if a user has left a window open!!

    Has anyone here tried

    "max-stale" or
    "min-fresh"

    Apparently it's all here:

    Sorry but I cant understand a word of it!
    They never seem to give you helpful examples... !

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    Shiperton Henethe, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Shiperton Henethe

    brucie Guest

    In post <3f8fdfc9$0$11447$>
    Shiperton Henethe said...

    > We dont want users looking at pages more than say ten minute old.

    then you're pretty much stuffed. stick something on the end of the url
    like the time. if the page is requested again and its older than 10
    minutes do something other than serve the page. if its within the 10
    minutes return a 304. doesn't prevent caching but its more reliable
    than suggesting cache directives.

    --
    brucie.
    18/October/2003 08:12:01 am