    defined signal so that it is globally visible to other architectures.

    Regards

    Khan
    Muhammad Khan, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Muhammad Khan

    Mario Trams Guest

    Muhammad Khan wrote:

    > I want to use the signal defined in one architecture in VHDL to
    > another architecture. I have two architecture in the same .vhd file
    > and I am using Component mapping. I required the result of calculation
    > of a signal to be used in second architecture. Can any one tell how to
    > defined signal so that it is globally visible to other architectures.

    Hello Muhammad,

    this is a common question.

    The clean way for handling this is to feed the signal through
    the port maps.

    Regards,
    Mario

    Digital Force / Mario Trams -chemnitz.de

    Chemnitz University of Technology http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~mtr
    Dept. of Computer Science Tel.: (+49) 371 531 1660
    Chair of Computer Architecture Fax.: (+49) 371 531 1818
    Mario Trams, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Muhammad Khan

    Jon Guest

    Hi Khan,
    If you declare a signal in a package and you include the package
    then the signal can be globally used by all architectures that
    reference that package. This is for simulation only and will not
    work for synthesis.

    Jon

    Jon, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Muhammad Khan

    Ken McElvain Guest

    Jon wrote:

    > Hi Khan,
    > If you declare a signal in a package and you include the package
    > then the signal can be globally used by all architectures that
    > reference that package. This is for simulation only and will not
    > work for synthesis.

    This will work for synthesis in Synplify Pro 7.3.

    Ken McElvain, Jul 10, 2003
  5. Re: how can I use a signal defined in one Architecture to anotherArchitecture

    Ken McElvain wrote:

    > Jon wrote:

    >> If you declare a signal in a package and you include the package
    >> then the signal can be globally used by all architectures that
    >> reference that package. This is for simulation only and will not
    >> work for synthesis.

    > This will work for synthesis in Synplify Pro 7.3.

    Cool. Never seen that in synthesis before.
    How did you get test cases?

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Jul 10, 2003