    internet.
    How can I configure my laptop that has iis so internet people can access the
    webform. thank you.
    thanh toan, Jun 6, 2005

  2. thanh toan

    Derek Harmon Guest

    "thanh toan" <> wrote in message news:d806os$kvk$...
    > I bring the computer with iis(laptop) to school and get connected to the
    > internet.
    > How can I configure my laptop that has iis so internet people can access the
    > webform. thank you.

    A better question is how can you configure your school network to allow internet
    people ot access your laptop. Odds are, your school network will block incoming
    network requests using a firewall.

    Assuming that's not the case, you need to figure out what the IP address on your
    laptop is when it's connected to the school network. This will probably be auto-
    assigned using DHCP (the school network makes up an IP address in its subnet
    and assigns it to your laptop along with a lease for a certain time period). Check
    your Network Properties, this can usually tell you what your IP address is.

    Then, you need people on the Internet to try and connect to your IP address, like
    http://10.0.0.1/ (if your IP were the fictitious 10.0.0.1). Your dynamically-assigned
    IP is likely to expire after some period of time, so you need to tell everybody on the
    Internet your new IP address when DHCP assigns you a new one.

    Having a domain name, like http://example.com/ is impractical because of the
    constant expiration of a DHCP-generated IP address. By the time your IP had
    propagated to all DNS servers with a domain name, it's likely your lease on that
    IP address will have expired.

    If it sounds like there are numerous obstacles -- it's because the playing field was
    designed that way. Your LAN that let's you access the Internet intends for you
    to be a client only, not a server. ISPs can charge more money to grant servers
    access to the Internet.

    Derek Harmon
    Derek Harmon, Jun 6, 2005