How can this Java method header be represented in Ruby

Abder-Rahman Ali

I have a Java method header that looks something like follows:

public static short[][] setFile(String fileName)

How can I write this in Ruby?

Thanks.

Peter Hickman

def setFile(fileName)
end

You do realise that Ruby is a dynamic language, there is no typing?

How you name your methods and variables is up to you but I would go with

def set_file(filename)
end

Abder-Rahman Ali

Peter said:
def setFile(fileName)
end

You do realise that Ruby is a dynamic language, there is no typing?

How you name your methods and variables is up to you but I would go with

def set_file(filename)
end

Thanks @Peter. And, of course, the second form is more suitable
especially for Ruby convention.

Brian Candler

Peter said:
How you name your methods and variables is up to you but I would go with

def set_file(filename)
end

Or even:

def file=(filename)
end

Hassan Schroeder

=A0def file=3D(filename)
=A0 =A0...
=A0end

However, the 'static' in

public static short[][] setFile(String fileName)

means it's a class, not instance, method so

def self.file=3D(filename)
end

FWIW,
--=20