How can we clean out VSWebCache?

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Simon,

Check the Documents and Settings\<user>\VSWebCache\ folder

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

S> As title. How to clean out VSWebCache? Any good way to do that?
S>
S> Thanks.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

As Michael mentioned, the visual studio's vswebcache is a cache folder
under the user profile directory:

c:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\VSWebCache\

BTW, is there any particular requirement that you need to clean it up.
Generally, it is a internal managed folder which is not intended to be
access by users.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> the visual studio's vswebcache is a cache folder under the user profile directory:
!> \Documents and Settings\[Username]\VSWebCache\

Steven,

I don't have a \Documents and Settings\[Username]\VSWebCache\ folder.

I do have a folder named :
\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WebsiteCache

Why don't I have a VSWebCache folder ?
I have both VS2005 and VS 2008 installed, and am running Windows Server 2003.

From: "Simon" <[email protected]>
Subject: How can we clean out VSWebCache?
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:30:12 +0800
As title. How to clean out VSWebCache? Any good way to do that?

Thanks.

Simon

Thanks for the information, Steven. That is helpful. I have no requirement
to clean it up currently. Just heard of it recently and wanted to know where
it stores. I am OK with it now.

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Simon,

As Michael mentioned, the visual studio's vswebcache is a cache folder
under the user profile directory:

c:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\VSWebCache\

BTW, is there any particular requirement that you need to clean it up.
Generally, it is a internal managed folder which is not intended to be
access by users.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

rights.

--------------------
From: "Simon" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:30:12 +0800
As title. How to clean out VSWebCache? Any good way to do that?

Thanks.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Juan,

Seems the vswebcache is more used in VS.NET 2003:

#Locations for user customizations in Visual Studio 2005 or in Visual
Studio .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320851

my VS 2008 envirenment also doesn't have this cache folder.

From: "Simon" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:30:12 +0800
As title. How to clean out VSWebCache? Any good way to do that?

Thanks.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Here is kb article which mentioned more user specific customiation settings
(registry or file path) about visual studio:

#Locations for user customizations in Visual Studio 2005 or in Visual
Studio .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320851

the vswebcache is more used by VS 2003

From: "Simon" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:30:12 +0800
As title. How to clean out VSWebCache? Any good way to do that?

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Seems the vswebcache is more used in VS.NET 2003:

Thank you, Steven.

I was scratching my head a bit, since the VS version number had not been specified earlier
in the thread, and neither VS 2005 nor VS 2008 use VsWebCache, but do use WebsiteCache.

From: "Simon" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:30:12 +0800

As title. How to clean out VSWebCache? Any good way to do that?

Thanks.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks Juan,

Yes, I've ever noticed the "WebSitecache", seems it will store some website
publish related files(xml ) sometimes.

From: "Simon" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:30:12 +0800

As title. How to clean out VSWebCache? Any good way to do that?

Thanks.

Simon

Thanks for the additional message, Steven. It is helpful.

From: "Simon" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:31:32 +0800

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Simon,

As Michael mentioned, the visual studio's vswebcache is a cache folder
under the user profile directory:

c:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\VSWebCache\

BTW, is there any particular requirement that you need to clean it up.
Generally, it is a internal managed folder which is not intended to be
access by users.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments
and
(e-mail address removed).

ications.

rights.