    How can we debug using this Core Dump .

    Thanks
    Pallav Singh
    Pallav singh, Jan 5, 2012

  2. Pallav singh

    Seebs Guest

    On 2012-01-05, Pallav singh <> wrote:
    > i am new to C and Software .

    Okay.

    > I need to debug a stripped Executable which creates Core Dump as
    > Customer site. I have Core file created at Customer Site.

    That is bad luck for you and everyone else involved, because if you
    are this new, there is no realistic chance of your success.

    > How can we debug using this Core Dump .

    This depends entirely on the tools you have. Assuming that you have an
    unstripped copy of the executable, you can probably point the debugger at
    it, but it must be the EXACT binary that was stripped to create the
    executable.

    The exact procedure depends on your tools.

    But seriously: You need to get someone with more experience in for a case
    like this. Debugging is not a skill you're going to have if you're new to
    software. Debugging from core dumps is harder. Debugging from core dumps
    when you don't have a reproducer or access to the failing machine and you
    may not have the right executable is just plain ridiculous.

    -s
    Seebs, Jan 5, 2012

  3. Pallav singh

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Thu, 2012-01-05, Gordon Burditt wrote:
    >> i am new to C and Software .

    > That does not bode well for debugging your problem.
    >
    >> I need to debug a stripped Executable which creates Core Dump as
    >> Customer site. I have Core file created at Customer Site.
    >>
    >> How can we debug using this Core Dump .

    > The best approach is using a non-stripped executable which is
    > identical to the stripped executable if you strip it. This
    > requires a good relationship with whoever created the executable
    > in the first place and has the exact source code used to create it.
    > In many corporate setups, your chances of getting this are
    > somewhere between nil and "when hell freezes over".

    Doesn't hurt to try, though. It should be easy to convince a
    half-decent build technician/manager/whatever that it's in the
    company's interest never to ship a stripped binary unless you also
    keep an unstripped copy.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Jan 7, 2012
  4. Pallav singh

    Kaz Kylheku Guest

    On 2012-01-05, Pallav singh <> wrote:
    > Hi All ,
    >
    > i am new to C and Software .
    >
    > I need to debug a stripped Executable which creates Core Dump as
    > Customer site. I have Core file created at Customer Site.
    >
    > How can we debug using this Core Dump .

    To get the most out of the core dump, you get the core dump from the customer
    site and then load it in your local environment where you have all the same
    libraries available as on the customer site, plus the unstripped version of the
    executable.

    The executable file's symbols are needed when the core file is loaded,
    not when the core dump is produced.
    Kaz Kylheku, Jan 7, 2012
  5. Pallav singh

    jacob navia Guest

    Le 05/01/12 05:35, Pallav singh a écrit :
    > Hi All ,
    >
    > i am new to C and Software .
    >
    > I need to debug a stripped Executable which creates Core Dump as
    > Customer site. I have Core file created at Customer Site.
    >
    > How can we debug using this Core Dump .
    >
    > Thanks
    > Pallav Singh

    Well, if you are new to C and Software in general I would agree with
    Seebs that you will never be able to debug a stripped executable.

    Try to get in touch with the
    people that built that stripped executable and tell them to help
    you.
    jacob navia, Jan 7, 2012
  6. Pallav singh

    jacob navia Guest

    Le 07/01/12 19:46, Kaz Kylheku a écrit :

    > To get the most out of the core dump, you get the core dump from the customer
    > site and then load it in your local environment where you have all the same
    > libraries available as on the customer site, plus the unstripped version of the
    > executable.
    >
    > The executable file's symbols are needed when the core file is loaded,
    > not when the core dump is produced.

    If he is "new to C and software" that will look like chinese to him...

    You see, I fear that the people that built that executable were fired
    after an "outsourcing" operation and that now they hire 100%
    unqualified people to make customers believe there is some kind
    of "technical support"...
    jacob navia, Jan 7, 2012