How can we debug using Core Dump

Pallav singh

Hi All ,

i am new to C and Software .

I need to debug a stripped Executable which creates Core Dump as
Customer site. I have Core file created at Customer Site.

How can we debug using this Core Dump .

Thanks
Pallav Singh

Seebs

i am new to C and Software .
Okay.

I need to debug a stripped Executable which creates Core Dump as
Customer site. I have Core file created at Customer Site.

That is bad luck for you and everyone else involved, because if you
are this new, there is no realistic chance of your success.
How can we debug using this Core Dump .

This depends entirely on the tools you have. Assuming that you have an
unstripped copy of the executable, you can probably point the debugger at
it, but it must be the EXACT binary that was stripped to create the
executable.

The exact procedure depends on your tools.

But seriously: You need to get someone with more experience in for a case
like this. Debugging is not a skill you're going to have if you're new to
software. Debugging from core dumps is harder. Debugging from core dumps
when you don't have a reproducer or access to the failing machine and you
may not have the right executable is just plain ridiculous.

-s

Jorgen Grahn

That does not bode well for debugging your problem.

The best approach is using a non-stripped executable which is
identical to the stripped executable if you strip it. This
requires a good relationship with whoever created the executable
in the first place and has the exact source code used to create it.
In many corporate setups, your chances of getting this are
somewhere between nil and "when hell freezes over".

Doesn't hurt to try, though. It should be easy to convince a
half-decent build technician/manager/whatever that it's in the
company's interest never to ship a stripped binary unless you also
keep an unstripped copy.

/Jorgen

Kaz Kylheku

Hi All ,

i am new to C and Software .

I need to debug a stripped Executable which creates Core Dump as
Customer site. I have Core file created at Customer Site.

How can we debug using this Core Dump .

To get the most out of the core dump, you get the core dump from the customer
site and then load it in your local environment where you have all the same
libraries available as on the customer site, plus the unstripped version of the
executable.

The executable file's symbols are needed when the core file is loaded,
not when the core dump is produced.

jacob navia

Le 05/01/12 05:35, Pallav singh a écrit :
Hi All ,

i am new to C and Software .

I need to debug a stripped Executable which creates Core Dump as
Customer site. I have Core file created at Customer Site.

How can we debug using this Core Dump .

Thanks
Pallav Singh

Well, if you are new to C and Software in general I would agree with
Seebs that you will never be able to debug a stripped executable.

Try to get in touch with the
people that built that stripped executable and tell them to help
you.

jacob navia

Le 07/01/12 19:46, Kaz Kylheku a écrit :
To get the most out of the core dump, you get the core dump from the customer
site and then load it in your local environment where you have all the same
libraries available as on the customer site, plus the unstripped version of the
executable.

The executable file's symbols are needed when the core file is loaded,
not when the core dump is produced.

If he is "new to C and software" that will look like chinese to him...

You see, I fear that the people that built that executable were fired
after an "outsourcing" operation and that now they hire 100%
unqualified people to make customers believe there is some kind
of "technical support"...