How can you make idle processors pick up java work?

Discussion in 'Java' started by lbrtchx, Jul 31, 2012.

  1. lbrtchx

    lbrtchx Guest

    How can you make idle processors pick up java work?
    ~
    While running top I noticed that most processors running the same executing
    java instance are idle
    ~
    // __ 4 processors + 4Gb RAM
    ~
    http://hsymbolicus.wordpress.com/?attachment_id=418
    ~
    // __ 8 processors + 32Gb RAM
    ~
    http://hsymbolicus.wordpress.com/?attachment_id=419
    ~
    I need to work on vast amounts of data.
    ~
    Is there a way to make these processors pick up/share work also, or do you
    have to use some sort of scheduling framework on top of java? ~
    lbrtchx
    comp.lang.java.programmer: How can you make idle processors pick up java work?

    --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
    lbrtchx, Jul 31, 2012

  2. To: lbrtchx
    From: Joshua Cranmer <>

    On 7/30/2012 6:01 PM, wrote:
    > Is there a way to make these processors pick up/share work also, or
    > do you have to use some sort of scheduling framework on top of java?

    Use multiple threads?

    -- Donald E. Knuth

    Joshua Cranmer, Jul 31, 2012

  3. lbrtchx

    markspace Guest

    To: lbrtchx
    From: markspace <-@.>

    On 7/30/2012 3:01 PM, wrote:

    > Is there a way to make these processors pick up/share work also, or
    > do you have to use some sort of scheduling framework on top of java?

    I have to echo Joshua's comment. What are you doing now that you expect a JVM
    to be executing more than one thread? The full protocol stack would be good to
    know, as well as any frameworks you are currently using. Some are
    multi-threaded, some aren't.

    markspace, Jul 31, 2012
  4. lbrtchx

    Roedy Green Guest

    To: lbrtchx
    From: Roedy Green <>

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:01:03 +0000 (UTC), wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    > How can you make idle processors pick up java work?

    You need multiple threads. There is no way two processors can gang up to boost
    the same thread.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/thread.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products