How come C allow structure members to be addressed like an array ?

Richard

Richard Heathfield said:
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:

One Roma gypsy (allegedly) steals from you, and now you say that, as a result
of this, you don't even see them as people.

Quite a few Irish people have been responsible for the indiscriminate killing
of a great many people since the 1960s. By *your* logic, we should despise
the Irish and not see /them/ as people. We should accord them no rights, and
give them no quarter.

Fortunately for the world, not everyone is as bigoted as you.

Tarring an entire people with a single brush is /never/ appropriate.

<snip>

I find it interesting that Twink's initial guess at the pretentious
insistence on the Irish spelling (which IS a pain the arse for non
unicode compliant newreaders and browsers) was actually quite
correct. As an Irish man myself I would like to distance myself and
others from the ridiculously blatant hatred and racism shown by Tomas
above. It is a sad reflection on current life in Ireland that the boom
in immigration has revealed many people to be worse than those (the
English) they have criticised for so many years.

santosh

Richard said:
I find it interesting that Twink's initial guess at the pretentious
insistence on the Irish spelling (which IS a pain the arse for non
unicode compliant newreaders and browsers) was actually quite
correct. As an Irish man myself I would like to distance myself and
others from the ridiculously blatant hatred and racism shown by Tomas
above. It is a sad reflection on current life in Ireland that the boom
in immigration has revealed many people to be worse than those (the
English) they have criticised for so many years.

Can the Roma properly be called as immigrants? One would've thought that
they have a presence in Ireland for at least a few centuries now.

Antoninus Twink

Can the Roma properly be called as immigrants? One would've thought that
they have a presence in Ireland for at least a few centuries now.

I believe Thomas was directing his racist rant against immigrant Roma
gypsies specifically, rather than the home-grown/naturalized Irish
tinkers.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

<snipped: anecdote of alleged theft by Roma gypsy>

I've just been back from that shop I was in and my mate had a look
over the cameras with me. I put the object on the roof of my car as I
was talking to the gypsie, and as I turned around to unlock my door he
swiped it an put it in his coat. The camera shows it clearly.

One Roma gypsy (allegedly) steals from you, and now you say that, as a result
of this, you don't even see them as people.

Not allegedly, definitely. Witnessing their thievery first-hand was
the straw that broke the camel's back. Up until then I was well aware
of their reputation as being a dirty filthy race of people, but the
idea hadn't been cemented in my mind as I hadn't witnessed it first-
hand.

Quite a few Irish people have been responsible for the indiscriminate killing
of a great many people since the 1960s. By *your* logic, we should despise
the Irish and not see /them/ as people. We should accord them no rights, and
give them no quarter.

If I'd been robbed by a German I would _not_ have tarred them all with
the same brush. Same goes for an American. Or a Japanese person.

Roma gypsies are a different animal altogether.

Fortunately for the world, not everyone is as bigoted as you.

Tarring an entire people with a single brush is /never/ appropriate.

People have prejudices for a reason. If I had no prejudice, I'd be
robbed daily. From now on, I won't allow a Roman gypsie within a foot
of me.

I suggest we drop this conversation, given the forum. Plus it's the
kind of conversation that turns sour very quickly. If you really want
to continue you can send me private e-mail.

Richard

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
I've just been back from that shop I was in and my mate had a look
over the cameras with me. I put the object on the roof of my car as I
was talking to the gypsie, and as I turned around to unlock my door he
swiped it an put it in his coat. The camera shows it clearly.

Not allegedly, definitely. Witnessing their thievery first-hand was
the straw that broke the camel's back. Up until then I was well aware
of their reputation as being a dirty filthy race of people, but the
idea hadn't been cemented in my mind as I hadn't witnessed it first-
hand.

If I'd been robbed by a German I would _not_ have tarred them all with
the same brush. Same goes for an American. Or a Japanese person.

Roma gypsies are a different animal altogether.

Hitler would have agreed with you.

Keith Thompson

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
People have prejudices for a reason. If I had no prejudice, I'd be
robbed daily. From now on, I won't allow a Roman gypsie within a foot
of me.

I suggest we drop this conversation, given the forum. Plus it's the
kind of conversation that turns sour very quickly. If you really want
to continue you can send me private e-mail.

It turned sour the moment you posted your rant about about Roma
Gypsies, apparently because you felt it was somehow relevant to the
spelling of your name. *Now* you want to drop it?

I suggest that you shouldn't have posted your racist crap here in the
first place.

There are RFCs that define the content of headers in Usenet articles.
I haven't read them lately, and I don't know whether they require a
particular character set, or if so, which one. I suggest you find out
and, if you choose to continue posting here, that you follow what they
recommend. If I recall correctly (and it's very likely that I don't),
headers are required to be represented in 7-bit ASCII, which cannot
represent some characters in your name directly, but there is a
standard encoding that allows other characters to be represented
indirectly. I think that some newsreaders will then render your name
correctly, and others will display the encoding; none will attempt to
print non-printable characters, which is what happens for some people
now.

There are headers that specify the encoding of the body of an article,
but they don't apply to the headers themselves (again, if I recall
correctly). I see that your article has:

which is probably about right, but only for the body of your article.

You are of course free to accept or ignore my advice. It doesn't
matter much to me, since I probably won't be paying much attention to
whatever you post in the future.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

You are of course free to accept or ignore my advice.

I post from Google Groups. Does Google Groups not do the character
encoding thing on my name?

Antoninus Twink

I suggest we drop this conversation, given the forum. Plus it's the
kind of conversation that turns sour very quickly.

Yes, it's amazing how conversations quickly turn sour when someone
introduces a racist tirade into them.

Kenny McCormack

Yes, it's amazing how conversations quickly turn sour when someone
introduces a racist tirade into them.

Yeah. Funny how that works, isn't it? You'd think people could do
better, regardless of the subject matter, but you just don't see it
working out that way in practice.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

If I paid attention to the opinions of bigots, I'd be at risk of becoming a
bigot myself. But I'm not going to assume that all Irishmen are bigots, just
because you are.

The word "bigot" isn't used by my generation, I had to look it up. I
got the following definition from the internet:

"A person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or
opinion."

Whether I am tolerant of a particular people depends entirely on the
people in question. Does that not make perfect sense? I know all kinds
of people, all different nationalities and religions. I know
Catholics, Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, a few other religions. I know
blacks, whites, asians. I know Nigerians, Scottish, Americans, French,
Germans, Belgians. My college was full of all sorts of people from all
different backgrounds, and I got on fine with all of them.

Of all the races, creeds, religions, nationalities, what have you, in
the world, I'm prejudiced against one sole group: Roma gypsies, and
it's purely from my own personal experience with them.

That's a pretty good "tolerance track record" if you ask me. And it's
not like I'm about to start a campaign for Ethnic cleansing... I'm
just not going to let a Roma gypsie near me ever again. If they come
within a metre, I'll raise my fist out in front of them and tell them
to get away from me. If they proceed further, they're going home with
less teeth. I think that's the fairest I can be about it.

I suggest you drop the racism, for your own sake. Hatred is not good for you.

Thanks for the advice, and I agree with it. But having all the warmth
in the world in my hearth won't stop Roma gypsies from exploiting
their kids and robbing me.

I don't so much have a hatred for them, I just view them as a dirty
filthy people.

I have nothing to say to you in private. It seems clear that there isn't much
point saying anything to you in public, either. So - welcome to my bozo bin.

A rare honour, I had assumed you didn't have a killfile.

Keith Thompson

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
I post from Google Groups. Does Google Groups not do the character
encoding thing on my name?

I don't know. Do your own research.

Flash Gordon

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote, On 15/06/08 22:56:
The word "bigot" isn't used by my generation,

Am I that old? Well, back in the 80's I found that a word I knew well
and understood was not known by someone only a year younger than me, so
perhaps it is just my background.
I had to look it up. I
got the following definition from the internet:

"A person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or
opinion."

Another definition is "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to
his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or
treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred
and intolerance". Note that this definition does not specify *all* other
groups, just one. In that respect it meets the usage that I know.

Thanks for the advice, and I agree with it. But having all the warmth
in the world in my hearth won't stop Roma gypsies from exploiting
their kids and robbing me.

I don't so much have a hatred for them, I just view them as a dirty
filthy people.

<snip>

My experience is that is is modern "travellers" who are the problem not
real gypsies. However, I am certain that it is not all "travellers" just
as I am certain that the bigoted opinion some people I know have against
the people of India is in general wrong.

Keith Thompson

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
I don't so much have a hatred for them, I just view them as a dirty
filthy people.
[...]

Upthread, you wrote:

I suggest we drop this conversation, given the forum.

This will not end until you end it. Stop talking about the "Roma
gypsies", right now. Don't respond to this. Don't try to defend
your opinions. Just shut the hell up about it.

Nick Keighley

<snip>

[a list of peoples Tomas O'Eilidhe isn't bigoted about]
That's a pretty good "tolerance track record" if you ask me. And it's
not like I'm about to start a campaign for Ethnic cleansing... I'm
just not going to let a Roma gypsie near me ever again.

In my country (UK) you'd have problems with the law for behaving the
way you propose (and a good thing too).

If they come
within a metre, I'll raise my fist out in front of them and tell them
to get away from me.

threatening behaviour, conduct liable to cause a breech of the peace

If they proceed further, they're going home with
less teeth. I think that's the fairest I can be about it.

assault occaising actual bodily harm. Possibly Grevious Bodily
Harm (a more serious offence). Our justice system is loaded against
(gives automatic heavier sentences) to race hate crimes.

I have seen Roma begging in Eastern Europe. They looked to be starving
to me.

Hitler included the Roma in his extermination camps. This is often
forgotten.

Richard

Nick Keighley said:
<snip>

[a list of peoples Tomas O'Eilidhe isn't bigoted about]
That's a pretty good "tolerance track record" if you ask me. And it's
not like I'm about to start a campaign for Ethnic cleansing... I'm
just not going to let a Roma gypsie near me ever again.

In my country (UK) you'd have problems with the law for behaving the
way you propose (and a good thing too).

Changing the subject line is very, very bad form for those of us who
killfile based on subject. Please do not do it.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

In my country (UK) you'd have problems with the law for behaving the
way you propose (and a good thing too).

Warning a Roma gypsie to stay out of my personal space is no different
than shouting SHOO at a dog when it comes too close.

There isn't a court in Britain or Ireland that would find someone
guilty for punching a Roma gypsie. In fact you'd be hard pushed to
even find a policeman that would pursue the matter.

rabid.lurker

<TROLLING4TRUTH>

I've always hastened to use the cliché term "There's nothing worse
than X", but in this case they're the only words that come to me:
There's nothing worse than a people without pride. There's plenty of
immigrants in the town where I live. There's Eastern Europeans.
There's black Africans. While I'm not overjoyed with immigrants taking
natives' jobs and accommodation, I don't bear any real animosity or
hatred towards them.

Do not bear any 'real' animosity or hatred? Nice to know that.

Feeling a bit xenophobic Tom? The undertones would indicate that.

Someone really should teach you about connotations and denotations.

It's nice you do not bear malice to these people that people come in
to take jobs locals do not want. Or cannot do. Or do not want to do
because it's a family tradition, ie the family tradition of a lot of
people who live in say, Ballymun or someplace like that (4-5th gen
unemployed), living off my tax euro.

Or they go off to university, to then post on c.l.c. and hence do not
want to build the houses, man the petrol stations, work in fast food
joints etc

Someone's got to do it. Just be glad there is.

Ireland's in the EU now. The EU is multicultural and multiracial.
Tough, but you'll get used to it as others have.
Some of them are really nice people, and they're
just here to make a better life for themselves. In fact, their
ambition in life is something a lot of people could aspire to. The
black Africans in particular tend to be extremely pleasant friendly
people; I can smile and say hello to a complete stranger black
African, and he'll say hello back with a warm smile. If I were to do
that to any other stranger, the person would look at me like I'm a
weirdo.

QFT. This is true.
But then there's one immigrant people here that I truly despise: Roma
gypsies. These people have no pride whatsoever. They really are rats.

Now up until that point, I'd never been a fan of Roma gypsies, but at
the same time I'd no real animosity or hatred for them. Now though, I
don't even see them as people. There are friends of mine who work in
shops that have had far more experience with Roma gypsies than I have,
but I've never really understood the venomous hatred my friends have
had for them. But now, I understand.

In my experience what you've described is indeed true, but I always
say
these are the selected lot that have come over here to abuse the
system.

I have to say this, as xenophobic as Tom may seem, what he describes
even
I cannot deny as being ludicrous or far from the truth.

Treating them as people to avoid like hell on the street (Just as you
would
any other rough looking type or tramp), is one thing. You can tell
they
are trouble, and you will want to stay clear.

NOT seeing them as even people however is _totally_ different.

I wonder what Tom would say about our local 'gypsies' the tinkers.

They are just as nasty. I have had experiences (really bad ones) with
both camps.

And just like their romany like, a bloody big drain on my tax euro.

What would you say of these people Tom? They are 'Irish' after all.

But I digress, there's nothing worse than a people without pride.
I'm Irish, and I'm from Ireland. The vast majority of people in my
country have English names, you'll see "Stephen McAteer" instead
of "Stiofán Mac an tSaoir".

That's real funny, I would have thought Stephen McAteer would have
been
clearly an Irish name.

Tell me, were you born with your gailge spelling or did you just
change
your name?
Now if they feel comfortable with that, then that's fine.

That's very generous.

A lot of these people would have the names they were born with

I am.

In all likelihood you probably were as well. I am guessing. I
could be wrong, you may have been so unhappy you changed your
name. Fair enuf.
But personally I don't feel comfortable as an Irish person with
an English name.
I'm Irish, I speak Irish and I've an Irish name.
Suits me much better.

I am Irish, I do not speak Irish. I am patriotic enough that I do
want what's best for Ireland on the whole. Good job on the Lisbon
treaty.

But my xenophobia only extends so far.

I welcome a multicultural Ireland, not grudgingly accept it, as
one may construe from your post.

<TROLLING4TRUTH/>

rabid.lurker

Warning a Roma gypsie to stay out of my personal space is no different
than shouting SHOO at a dog when it comes too close.

There isn't a court in Britain or Ireland that would find someone
guilty for punching a Roma gypsie. In fact you'd be hard pushed to
even find a policeman that would pursue the matter.

Oh my God. You are so now in my killfile.