How comes (goes?) Perl 6?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Combs, Nov 25, 2012.

  1. David Combs

    David Combs Guest

    What's it been, a decade already, that it's been being worked
    on?

    Perl, of course, is one hairy piece of code. But you'd think
    there'd be something usable by now. (And maybe there is, and
    I just don't know about it!)

    So far I've noticed only one book on it, written three or four
    years ago, I guess. Are there now others?

    Is anyone using it yet for actual paid work, for mission-critical
    applications?

    ---

    Has the Perl 6 development group grown or shrunk in, say, the
    last five years?

    If the answer is "shrunk", any ideas of why? Personal differences
    within the group? Endless arguments on features and their syntax?
    Or just plain burn-out?

    ---

    About Perl 5: are there enough changes since the 3rd ed of
    Programming Perl to be worth a 4th ed? (Is the market big
    enough to make it pay?)

    If not that, then maybe a free or non-free *supplement* to it,
    with replacement pages for those showing methods for which
    there are now better approaches?

    (Of course the answer of a full new edition depends on
    Perl 6 progress.)

    ---

    Once Perl 6 does come out and starts getting real (paying) use,
    what's the usual estimate for continued development of Perl 5?

    (Forever, maybe, since presumably 5 and 6 are almost totally
    incompatible, that eg an application via Perl 5 won't be easily
    convertible to 6.)

    Thanks so much!

    David
    David Combs, Nov 25, 2012

  2. David Combs

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <k8s1pt$i8p$>, David Combs
    <> wrote:

    > About Perl 5: are there enough changes since the 3rd ed of
    > Programming Perl to be worth a 4th ed? (Is the market big
    > enough to make it pay?)

    The 3rd Edition covered Perl 5.6, while the new edition covers up to
    Perl 5.16. Some things that are important there:

    * All the new features and keywords from Perl 5.10 and on
    * Much better Unicode support and ways of using it
    * Lots (lots!) more regex features and syntax
    * CPAN has evolved quite a bit

    I think there were more than enough changes and the update was long
    overdue.
    brian d foy, Nov 27, 2012

  3. David Combs

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <50b4c2e9$7$fuzhry+tra$>, Seymour J.
    <> wrote:

    > In <271120120411263611%>, on 11/27/2012
    > at 04:11 AM, brian d foy <> said:
    >
    > >The 3rd Edition covered Perl 5.6, while the new edition covers up to
    > >Perl 5.16.

    > The cover says 5.14, not 5.16.

    There is some 5.16 stuff in there, but since 5.16 was coming out at the
    same time as the book, we didn't want to claim to cover that version.
    brian d foy, Nov 28, 2012
  4. David Combs

    David Combs Guest

    In article <281120121011313237%>,
    brian d foy <> wrote:
    >In article <50b4c2e9$7$fuzhry+tra$>, Seymour J.
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> In <271120120411263611%>, on 11/27/2012
    >> at 04:11 AM, brian d foy <> said:
    >>
    >> >The 3rd Edition covered Perl 5.6, while the new edition covers up to
    >> >Perl 5.16.

    >> The cover says 5.14, not 5.16.

    >There is some 5.16 stuff in there, but since 5.16 was coming out at the
    >same time as the book, we didn't want to claim to cover that version.

    Then let me ask this:

    I suppose this will be the final version of PP for perl-5?

    If so, then for those of us who have that new version (me, amazon
    tonight), on the errata page, periodic (and separate) new-feature
    files, that we can print out and stick in the book next to the
    various pages to be updated?

    And Brian, thanks for all the hard work you guys took on, updating
    that MONSTER book. (Reading it: drinking from a fire hose!)

    David
    David Combs, Dec 11, 2012
  5. David Combs

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <ka8f5a$gb0$>, David Combs
    <> wrote:

    > I suppose this will be the final version of [Programming Perl] for perl-5?

    When Tom and I were working on Programming Perl, 4th Edition, we had in
    mind a book that could last several years. But, I can't say what will
    happen with Perl 5 or if enough people will keep buying the book to
    make it attractive to the publisher to update it. We're not thinking
    about another update at the moment.
    brian d foy, Dec 12, 2012