How could I add pdf files to my myspace page?

nowt

I have been using myspace as a way of having a makeshift website,
partly pertaining to
a minority interest book I had published last year. I wanted to put
pdf 'sampler' of it on my page. I imagine there's some way round this
as sound and picture files can be dumped into it from elsewhere using
code and as websites often feature pdf files. Any help is much
appreciated. Ideally there'd be something like a pdf equivalent of
photobucket, a repositary of pdfs.

dorayme

nowt said:
I have been using myspace as a way of having a makeshift website
I wanted to put a pdf on my page. I imagine there's some way
round this.

Some way round what? making the PDF available to people who visit
your website? So that nearly all can access the PDF on their
computers either in their browser or in the PDF software direct?

To do this, make the PDF how you want (the details of this have
nothing to do with this newsgroup), load it up to the server of
your website and put a link like this on the website page. If the
PDF is loaded in the same directory as the website html source,
put:

(5MB so if you are on dialup said:
Any help is much
appreciated. Ideally there'd be something like a pdf equivalent of
photobucket, a repositary of pdfs.

If you want a number of PDFs to be made available, just put in
more links.

nowt

Yes, to make it so's the pdf can be read or downloaded from myspace,
with an icon to draw attention ot its pdf nature if possible. I don't
quite understand your reply but I will log-on t myspace and see if
itmakes more sense. I have made enough sense of the code toput a
standalone mp3 player on my page and meddle with the layout, but I
don't really know what all the code means, etc. Where am actually
meant to put the pdf file - I don't have another website for it.
Could I put it in an email attachment in my account and have it
extracted by visitors to myspace from there, or would email account
security measures prevent this? As myspace is mostly for bozos they
don't have a normal way of uploading pdfs or my task would be simpler.

rf

As myspace is mostly for bozos

Hmmm. Says it all.

No disrespect to you JWL :)
don't have a normal way of uploading pdfs or my task would be simpler.

Er, if you can upload MP3s then surely you can upload a .pdf? Can you upload
images (.jpeg etc). A pdf is no different. It's jjust another file.

nowt

Yeah, there are specific forms at myspace for uploading audio and
jpegs, but none for Word pdf files, or there'd be no problem.

dorayme

nowt said:
Yeah, there are specific forms at myspace for uploading audio and
jpegs, but none for Word pdf files, or there'd be no problem.

In that case, you may have to start thinking of using the free
server space that most ISPs give you when you sign up for an
dialup or ADSL or DSL or cable broadband account.

Look up the website of your ISP and go to the section about
webspace for members. There will be a style of address for it,
like http://optus.com/nowt and this, on a browser, gets you to
the space. There is a free addition to the Firefox web browser
called FireFTP and this will allow you to upload files to your
server space. Once set up, you can load up your pdf files there,
note the address and put in a link in your mySpace to it.

If you get to this stage, you will not be long wanting to make
proper website with HTML and CSS and either forgetting about
mySpace or using it to link to your real site.

Actually I don't know anything about mySpace beyond vague
references in the newspapers, I assume at least you can put in a
link in your "space"?