how did you learn css?

chaser

Ok I've been lurking here for a couple days. I love your responses when
someone doesn't get what they wanted or gets an attitude.

I aspire to have a web site like some of those posted in your siggys.
els and Andrew Urquhart especially. Awesome sites! You are both very
talented.

so i have this book, "Visual Quickstart Guide" by Elizabeth Castro.

I've heard good things about it. Maybe even found it recommended here.
I just find it difficult reading and incorporating such abstract topics
as web design. So far what I've found most helpful is reading the source
of your web pages and comparing that to how the site looks. Cool shtuff.

This is good as far as it goes but naturally I don't get to see the
structure of the css that defines the page structures.

How did you peoples learn writing sites? els, brucie, Andrew Urquhart
and rf specifically.
Not to discount anyone else's contribs to this forum.

You can look at my site www.ponkey.com and see I'm in 3rd grade.
This was built by cutting and pasting. Critique it if you like but we'll
be here a while. :

How do you write pages? Notepad? I don't mean to start a war, really.
But I'd like to know how real designers do it. I have dw4. I guess its
ok. Seems like if nothing else it would save a lot of redundant typing
like the doctype and other things most pages have.

Anyway.
Thanks for helping so many others. You've helped me in the process.

Joe

Kris

chaser said:
How did you peoples learn writing sites?

By doing it. Including doing all the stupid things I now tell people not
to do. Unfortunately, some people never grow up.
How do you write pages? Notepad?

BBedit. It doesn't suck.

Els

chaser said:
How did you peoples learn writing sites? els, brucie,
Andrew Urquhart and rf specifically.

http://locusmeus.com/started.html saves me typing it again
here ;-)
How do you write pages? Notepad?

Yep, started with Notepad, converted to TextPad last December,
because of the syntax highlighting and the very useful macro-
thing in it.

Without wanting to critique it, there's one thing you really
should look into, and that's the menu. When I hover over it,
my mousepointer is not a hand, but the 'text-editing' thingy.
(what's it called?). Means I have no way of knowing I can
actually click the items.
I don't mean to start a war, really.

That's good, in return I won't mention your table layout.
Whoops! ;-)
But I'd like to know how real designers do it.

I don't know, I'm not a designer.
I have dw4. I guess its ok. Seems like if nothing
else it would save a lot of redundant typing like the
doctype and other things most pages have.

You'd be better off deciding for yourself which doctype to
use, and not use dw until you know how to write html without
it, as Spacegirl (who is a designer) states in her message to
Morgan in the previous thread.

Webcastmaker

Ok I've been lurking here for a couple days. I love your responses when
someone doesn't get what they wanted or gets an attitude.

Just remember the key words to use if you want to start a flame war.
javascript, frontpage, frames and tables will usually do it
I aspire to have a web site like some of those posted in your siggys...
Awesome sites!

Thanks, Many people like the site. And if they do webcasting, they
really like the software. But a complement every now and then is
always a good thing. Thanks again.
so i have this book, "Visual Quickstart Guide" by Elizabeth Castro.

Good reviews on amazon, interesting comments about frames though.
How did you peoples learn writing sites? els, brucie, Andrew Urquhart
and rf specifically.
Not to discount anyone else's contribs to this forum.

Just do it. Look at things you like, then look a the source to se
what they did. Then do it yourself.
Why yes said:
How do you write pages? Notepad?

Use what ever you are comfortable with. Your editor is a personal
preference.

Els

Edwin said:
What are you then?
A developer?

No, just someone who likes to play around with html and css.
Would love to do it for money though, maybe I'd call myself
webdesigner after I accomplish that. :)

chaser

http://locusmeus.com/started.html saves me typing it again
here ;-)

i shudda already read that :)
Yep, started with Notepad, converted to TextPad last December,
because of the syntax highlighting and the very useful macro-
thing in it.

Without wanting to critique it, there's one thing you really
should look into, and that's the menu. When I hover over it,
my mousepointer is not a hand, but the 'text-editing' thingy.
(what's it called?). Means I have no way of knowing I can
actually click the items.

ok so now you know i did NO testing on it, much less on any other
platform than internet exploder.
due to time constrainnts this one took me at least 2 weeks to build. (i
drive a truck for a living)
upon finnishing it i knew it was time to start over.
besides this site doesn't have any pix of my cats
That's good, in return I won't mention your table layout.
Whoops! ;-)

i know i know ;)
I don't know, I'm not a designer.

well at the very least you have a flair for design
You'd be better off deciding for yourself which doctype to
use, and not use dw until you know how to write html without
it, as Spacegirl (who is a designer) states in her message to
Morgan in the previous thread.

i think it might be time to REALLY start at the beginning, as it sounds
you did.

thanks for your help
Joe

chaser

Just remember the key words to use if you want to start a flame war.
javascript, frontpage, frames and tables will usually do it

Thanks, Many people like the site. And if they do webcasting, they
really like the software. But a complement every now and then is
always a good thing. Thanks again.

Good reviews on amazon, interesting comments about frames though.

Just do it. Look at things you like, then look a the source to se
what they did. Then do it yourself.

i really like seeing what others have done
its tempting to *ahem* borrow whats already been done, but then it
wouldn't be mine
Why yes, the links on your download page reflect that.... <wink>

point taken. they were really only meant as a kind of "useful" place
holder anyway
Use what ever you are comfortable with. Your editor is a personal
preference.
thanks for your help
Joe

Edwin van der Vaart

Els said:
Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

No, just someone who likes to play around with html and css.
Would love to do it for money though, maybe I'd call myself
webdesigner after I accomplish that. :)

A pro or not (just for fun), you're all ready a webdesigner.

SpaceGirl

chaser said:
How do you write pages? Notepad? I don't mean to start a war, really.
But I'd like to know how real designers do it. I have dw4. I guess its
ok. Seems like if nothing else it would save a lot of redundant typing
like the doctype and other things most pages have.

Anyway.
Thanks for helping so many others. You've helped me in the process.

Joe

I'm self taught... learned the same way I learned HTML and ASP - started
off pasting examples of things I wanted to do in from other peoples
sites, and slowly but surely moved on to writing my own markup and code.
I only started using DreamWeaver a few years ago, mainly because it made
development faster, rather than "better". I still hand code, but in DW
rather than notepad.

All my sites start out as: list of features, then a sketch on paper,
then a coloured drawing which I cut out and move the content around...
when I'm happy I then translate that into PhotoShop (scan, paint over),
adding dummy content. I then print it up, get feedback from the client.
Then I disassemble the PhotoShop document into parts that I can reuse in
the site and bits that can be done with CSS or pure HTML. Then I stick
it all together in the code view of DreamWeaver, writing any scripts as
and when I need them. My essential tools are DreamWeaver MX 2004 and
PhotoShop CS, but I could quite happily write a site from scratch in
notepad if I had to.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

kayodeok

so i have this book, "Visual Quickstart Guide" by
Elizabeth Castro.

I've heard good things about it. Maybe even found it
recommended here. I just find it difficult reading and
incorporating such abstract topics as web design. So far
what I've found most helpful is reading the source of your
web pages and comparing that to how the site looks. Cool
shtuff.

This is good as far as it goes but naturally I don't get to
see the structure of the css that defines the page
structures.

How did you peoples learn writing sites? els, brucie,
Andrew Urquhart and rf specifically.
Not to discount anyone else's contribs to this forum.

I started getting serious with HTML and CSS after reading
Elizabeth Castro's book (I have also struggled with the
chapter on CSS Positioning but in her defense, I have read
most of the stuff on CSS positioning posted elsewhere around
the web and I still struggle with it).

I have also learnt alot by lurking here.
How do you write pages? Notepad? I don't mean to start a
war, really. But I'd like to know how real designers do
it. I have dw4. I guess its ok. Seems like if nothing
else it would save a lot of redundant typing like the
doctype and other things most pages have.

I started with FrontPage, moved on to EditPlus (because of the
Syntax Highlighting), but I am now settled on PSPad. There
isn't anything wrong with EditPlus except that it hasn't been
updated in a while while PSPad is in constant development.

Neal

How did you peoples learn writing sites? els, brucie, Andrew Urquhart
and rf specifically.
Not to discount anyone else's contribs to this forum.

Well, I'll tell you anyway. :p I started messing around with HTML in the
mid 90's, shortly after I first got web access. I learned largely
piece-meal, bought a few poor books. CSS came into it in time, but again a
very piece-meal approach. I wandered onto htmldog.com and started to get a
more full version of what it was all about.

In time I discovered the W3C and pored through the HTML and CSS recs. Did
a lot of experimentation. I also lurked here and elsewhere picking up tips.
How do you write pages? Notepad? I don't mean to start a war, really.
But I'd like to know how real designers do it. I have dw4. I guess its
ok. Seems like if nothing else it would save a lot of redundant typing
like the doctype and other things most pages have.

I have always coded by hand, for a long time in NotePad, but lately I've
been using Crimson Editor. I've tried so-called wysiwyg (read wysiNwyg)
tools and I've never been happy.

I keep template pages on my computer with doctype, basic page structure,
etc. so when I write a new page I start from there. For specific projects
I even include the header, the meta tags and stylesheet links, etc.

Andrew Urquhart

*chaser* wrote:
How did you peoples learn writing sites? els, brucie, Andrew Urquhart
and rf specifically.
Not to discount anyone else's contribs to this forum.

As Kris said: "doing all the stupid things I now tell people not to do."

It took me 4 years after becoming a user of the web before I attempted
to write a web page. I started off with Frontpage 2.0 in 1999 because I
didn't know a thing about HTML and wanted a quick way to learn. With
Frontpage I could create something in its design view and then see how
it was implemented in HTML in the 'source' view. A few weeks later I
knew enough to write basic HTML in Notepad without it and then only used
Frontpage to create tricky table layouts.

Next I took to javascript and created a horrendously complicated
frames-based site with all manor of bells and whistles and used Visual
C++ to write my pages because it had syntax highlighting and some nice
editing features. At about that time I started reading
and learned quite a bit about javascript and
the nuances of browsers. 6 months after first opening Frontpage I
ditched the font tag and switched to CSS for font styling. At the time
CSS for layout was much more troublesome than it is today and I
persevered with tables for laying out information on pages. Around this
time it began to dawn on me the barriers that I had unintentionally
created to other web users through my own ignorance. I began to turn
away from ideas such as 'best viewed with Internet Explorer 5.5+', 'you
must have javascript enabled' and 'your browser doesn't support
frames' - it took a little while to sink in.

I think it was early 2002 when I made my first all-CSS site, probably at
the same time as I upgraded my server-side capabilities. Suddenly I
could use server-side includes and ASP to build a templating system. At
some point I digested
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/all-properties.html and used it as
my main CSS reference. I can't remember the websites I may have used as
guides in order to build this first all-CSS site (maybe MeyerWeb was one
of them, I probably took it apart), but I remember that I didn't use
books or HTML newsgroups to do it. In 2003 I bought Cascading
Stylesheets 2.0 Programmer's Guide by Eric Meyer and that has been a
useful reference. More recently I've picked up some useful points from
the HTML and stylesheet newsgroups and no doubt there is still more to
learn.

Between Spring 2002 and the end of 2003 I worked in the WWW department
of a largish publishing company. The sites were table-based, very
complex, very slow to load, difficult to modify and maintain. This
experience somewhat horrified me and pushed me into ensuring that my own
site was accessible, easy to maintain and hopefully not too slow to
download.

How do you write pages? Notepad? I don't mean to start a war,
really. But I'd like to know how real designers do it. I have dw4.
I guess its ok. Seems like if nothing else it would save a lot of
redundant typing like the doctype and other things most pages have.

Today I use Textpad 4 with a custom syntax highlighting library that
highlights xhtml and ASP JScript. When the purpose or page/site has been
established I tend to draw a graphic design of it first to get the
difficult inspiration bit out of the way. Then I create an unstyled page
that works well for screen readers and search engines (strict, semantic
(x)HTML). I then look for the HTML elements in that page that I can
attach CSS to, such as a list of navigation links, the main content
area, etc. and give them meaningful ids or classes where needed. Bearing
in mind the graphic I created earlier I then write some basic CSS layout
rules to arrange the blocks. For example I might style the #menu block
to become a horizontal bar rather than a vertical list, etc. I choose
CSS that allows pages to scale well and respond to different
environments, measurements are in % or ems, but px units are used for
certain margin/padding effects where there are background-images. Then I
the pieces as CSS background images to some of the blocks. Finally I add
the remaining font suggestions and colours.

After that I test it for markup and CSS validity, run it through an
automated accessibility testing tool and carefully evaluate the results.
Test in Opera set to emulate a text browser, then as a GUI browser,
sometimes also using Operas small screen mode, looking to see how usable
and how accessible the site is. I then test for different canvas sizes,
different user font sizes, without script, etc. Such things have already
been designed for by this point, but it's just a check to see how well
the site really copes in a variety of situations. Then I perform some of
those tests again for Firefox and IE6.0, 5.5 and 5.01 (all windows
versions alas). I also check with an online service that allows me to
look at the site as Mac Safari users see it. At work I had access to
more browsers on more platforms, so at the moment I'm a bit restricted
in my testing. However, all this testing is just for my own site. A
significant site needs more comprehensive testing with a variety of real
users, test plans, incorporating user feedback, analysing how they use
the site, etc. What I've not mentioned are the many snippets of
information acquired through experience that are considered during the
development process.

I don't consider myself a 'designer' because I feel that implies I know
something about graphic design. My last job title was 'web programmer'
and that is the label I'm more comfortable with.

Cheers,

Webcastmaker

i really like seeing what others have done
its tempting to *ahem* borrow whats already been done, but then it
wouldn't be mine

I am not suggesting taking their content, just how they displayed it,
and that is free for all to take.

Toby Inkster

chaser said:
How did you peoples learn writing sites? els, brucie, Andrew Urquhart
and rf specifically.

Well, I shall answer anyway. By not including me in that list I can only
assume you've not been around too long.[1] ;-)

I started dabbling with HTML while on AOL back in 1996(?). You can see the
sort of look they had (not exactly, but you'll get the general feel) by
going to my current website and choosing "1996" from the site style form.

My eye for visual design developed along with the rest of the web. Rainbow
backgrounds stopped being "cool" and plain white became the new vogue. I
followed the trends, but kept using the same basic techniques (lots of
columns very often, so table-based layouts were not that frequent. I have
also always placed a lot of importance on browser compatibility.)

When I was at Uni I suddenly had access to CGI, PHP and what have you. By
this time although I still hadn't started using CSS my designs were
becoming a lot less <font>-strewn -- I started to become a lot less
controlling in my design. (Probably a good thing as I have no eye for
visual design!)

In the middle of my third-year group project I discovered CSS[2] (I'm
quite a late starter really!) and suddenly everything started making sense
again. All the technologies started to slot together in my mind into a
cohesive whole. Lots of complex things fitted together and they somehow
became simple. Yay!

I now have a very narrow (probably too narrow!) view of how things should
be done on the web. Things like:

- All HTML must be semantically written;
- As much presentation as possible should be done in CSS, perhaps
with a little in Javascript;
- Pages must work without CSS and without Javascript;
- Pages must use open technologies wherever possible;
- Navigation must be done well:
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/web-howto#navi
- URLs must be nice (e.g. no "extension")
- etc

I use Nedit said:
Seems like if nothing else it would save a lot of redundant typing
like the doctype and other things most pages have.

Hint: Ctrl+C (copy) and Ctrl+V (paste)
;-)

____
[1] If in doubt, check out this piece of genius:
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/100percent-css-design/total2 (Moz only!)

[2] This helped immensely:
http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/