How do Datasets manage to get deserialized as DataSets instead of a wsdl.exe-created proxy class?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by news.microsoft.com, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Hi!

    I have developed both a Web Service and a client application, and they works
    fine.

    All classes used in the Web Service interface are declared in an assembly
    named Entities, that is referenced both in the Web Service and the client
    application.

    The problem is that the automatically-generated Web Service proxy class
    creates new classes instead of referencing the original classes.

    This way, if I add a method to any of the classes in the Entities assembly,
    that functionality isn't available in the client application, because the
    proxy-generated classes are static snapshots of the server objects, with all
    functionality lost.

    There must be a way to do this, because that's what DataSets do. If you
    create a Web Service that returns a DataSet, and you reference that web
    service from a .NET application that knows about System.Data namespace, the
    DataSet gets deserialized as a DataSet.

    I suppose it must have something to do with Xml attributes or interfaces,
    but I can't find which.

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance,

    Francisco Garcia

    news.microsoft.com, Apr 12, 2006