How do display progress with a logn running server side task

Roy Chastain

I have a aspx web page that is a long running task (1 - 2 min's). I would like to display an actual progress such as X out of Y items
processed.

I assume that the correct way to start about this is to put a meta refresh in the page (say every 10 seconds) to force the page to get the
new output, but I am not sure where/how to generate the new output and which if any events etc get fired when the page refresh is requested.

Could someone outline the step or principles involved.

Thanks

Lau Lei Cheong

The current solution I used is to write the progress to a file on server
side, and then use another popup window that use javascript to continuously
display the content of the file and refresh within time intervals.

This solution is not efficient and I'll say that it'll be better if you use
one of the third party components.