how do I add an custom attribute to a listitem inside a dynamically created listbox?

Rick Spiewak

Adding attributes to the listitems doesn't actually do anything, even though
you can write the code that seems to do it. I would suggest just retrieving
the value from the table as needed.

John

Hi everyone, I have a asp.net listbox (lstAvailable) that is populated via
as ADO DataSet.

[vbcode]

lstAvailable.DataSource = oDs

lstAvailable.DataTextField = oDs.Tables(0).Columns(0).ToString

lstAvailable.DataBind()

[/vbcode]

This works fine, but what I would like to do is for each item in the listbox
associated a new attribute to it. Given that each item in the list box has a
Text attribute and a Value attribute, I would like to add another attribute
called PersonID.

I tried this

lstAvailable.Attributes.Add("ContributorType",
oDs.Tables(0).Columns("PersonID").ToString)

But this adds the attribute to the listbox not to each individual item in
the list..

Thanks for any help in advance

Mark

John

Hi Rick, thanks for your help, yep, gettring the info from the database was
my second option but I was just trying to save a dbase call
Cheers
Mark

Rick Spiewak said:
[...]

kiranmath

Instead of using -- asp:listbox, use HTML SELECT.

<SELECT size="10" id="nGroup" name="nGroup" runat="server">
</SELECT>

Declare the control in code behind page --
Protected WithEvents nGroup As System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlSelect

Then add attributes to the listitems as
ls.Attributes.Add("key", .....)

Hope that helps
Kiran