How do I add the IUSR_<Machine Name> account to my database?

Guest

I'm having trouble accessing my database
(error: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'.
It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to
view its data) .

I know that I need to give the IUSR_<Machine Name> access to my database,
but when I right click my database (or folder the db resides in) and select
properties, I do NOT get a security tab where I can give other accounts
access. This is on my local laptop, so I should have full permissions
myself. I'm not sure why I don't have a security tab. Any information on
this? I'm running Windows XP.

bjc

Hi. Is your Access database open and running in MS Access while you are
trying to view it in a web page?

Guest

No, it's not open. I'm really confused as to why I can't see the security
tab in the properties of the Access Database though. I know that I have to
add accounts but not sure how

WJ

PK9 said:
I'm not sure why I don't have a security tab. Any information on
this? I'm running Windows XP.
Your Laptop may be running in a "Lock down" mode. Go to Windows Explorer,
select Tools/Folder Options/View, then uncheck "Use simple file sharing"
(the last item in the View dialog).

John Webb

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Are u opening the DB manually..
Or you are trying to connect via your application??
Patrick

Guest

Thank you, now I have a follow-up to that. That helps, I can now see the
security tab. However, on past machines I've seen a list of available
accounts I can select to give them access (for example, "aspnet" user and
"IUSR_<Machine Name>" user). However, when I click "add" on the security tab
I'm given a textarea to enter the "Object name" which I'm assuming is for the
accounts I want to add. I don't know the IUSR_<Machine Name> account name
or the aspnet user account name though. What should I enter in this textarea?

Guest

I'm connecting via my application.

My Laptop was running in a "Lock down" mode. I had to go to Windows Explorer,
select Tools/Folder Options/View, then uncheck "Use simple file sharing"
(the last item in the View dialog).

Now I have another issue. I'm trying to add the IUSR_<Machine Name> user on
the security tab of my database.

PK9 said:
Thank you, now I have a follow-up to that. That helps, I can now see the
security tab. However, on past machines I've seen a list of available
accounts I can select to give them access (for example, "aspnet" user and
"IUSR_<Machine Name>" user). However, when I click "add" on the security
tab
I'm given a textarea to enter the "Object name" which I'm assuming is for
the
accounts I want to add. I don't know the IUSR_<Machine Name> account
name
or the aspnet user account name though. What should I enter in this
textarea?
1. Check all the objects appears on the "Object Types" button.
2. Make sure the Location is still your Laptop (if not, click the
"Locations" button to specify another location of your choice)
3. Click the "Advances" button.
4. Click the "Find now" button. A list of objects (i.e. Accounts, Groups)
appears. Finally, select the object/account you want to grant access to your
resources.

John

Guest

YOU ARE AWESOME! Thanks for your help. I'll try to setup the permissions
now and I should be able to access the db from my application.

bjc

Are you connecting via a string or a dsn?

PK9 said:
No, it's not open. I'm really confused as to why I can't see the security
tab in the properties of the Access Database though. I know that I have to
add accounts but not sure how

bjc

Did you create the database on your laptop? Did someone email it to you or
install it on your PC? What application are you using to try to access the
data?