How do I approach this (typical scenario)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by JackR, Jul 24, 2009.

  1. JackR

    JackR Guest

    (Sorry, I previously posted this at
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet)

    Hi there,

    This is probably a pretty standard scenario and I'm just looking for
    information on how to approach it. Someone comes to my site and without
    logging on, they select the "Buy" page. I now need to move them through a
    series of order pages but they have to be logged on once they click "Next"
    on the "Buy" page. So, after selecting their products on this page, they
    click "Next". I now need to check if they're logged on. If so I continue
    with the next order page. Otherwise I need to pop up a standard login page
    first. This page will prompt existing users to enter their ID and password
    on the left-hand side, and new users to enter their new account info on the
    right-hand side (pretty standard). In either case, once the user clicks
    "Next", I log them in and continue with the next order page (note that a new
    account will have been created for new users). The user is therefore logged
    on when they hit my next order page. The question is, should I incorporate
    all these "pages" into a wizard control so that there's only one page to
    deal with (or use separate pages instead). A wizard seems like the cleanest
    way until you consider that SSL has to be active immediately after they log
    on (HTTPS). That is, when they hit the next order page just after logging
    on, if I use a wizard, I would need to refresh the page somehow so that it's
    now showing HTTPS. But I also need to keep the wizard control intact as
    well, i.e., at the same step in the sequence so they can keep clicking
    "Next" or "Back". Can someone recommend how to do this. Should I even use a
    wizard at all or just make every step its own page (if a wizard, how do you
    technically refresh the page from HTTP to HTTPS). What's cleaner, easier,
    etc. Thanks very much.
    JackR, Jul 24, 2009