How Do I approach?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Prabhat, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    Hi All,

    I have provision for Live Demo in my website.

    The user has to select the date and time for the Live demo in my website. My
    problem is all the users are selecting the 1st available date & time.
    Currently my date field is 3 drop down combo boxes which I am planning to
    change to a calendar control and the time is 2 combo box with hour and
    minute.

    To get rid of the SAME TIME Selection by users I want to provide only the
    date and time that are available and free. Mean I have to save the Demo
    request Date and Time somewhere in Text file or Database.

    Please suggest how do I go for this and what should be best path to
    approach?

    Thanks
    Prabhat

    Prabhat, Oct 11, 2005

  2. Prabhat

    Evertjan. Guest

    Prabhat wrote on 11 okt 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have provision for Live Demo in my website.
    >
    > The user has to select the date and time for the Live demo in my
    > website. My problem is all the users are selecting the 1st available
    > date & time. Currently my date field is 3 drop down combo boxes which
    > I am planning to change to a calendar control and the time is 2 combo
    > box with hour and minute.
    >
    > To get rid of the SAME TIME Selection by users I want to provide only
    > the date and time that are available and free. Mean I have to save the
    > Demo request Date and Time somewhere in Text file or Database.
    >
    > Please suggest how do I go for this and what should be best path to
    > approach?

    If you mean not using the same date's at the same time,
    the easiest way seems to save them in an application variable string.

    application("usedDates") = application("usedDates") & "|" & nextUsedDate

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Oct 11, 2005

  3. Prabhat

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    a simple table with the slots and then all you need is for your SELECT
    command to use a WHERE clause that says something like "...where USERNAME = '
    '...."

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    Curt_C [MVP], Oct 11, 2005
  4. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message

    > If you mean not using the same date's at the same time,
    > the easiest way seems to save them in an application variable string.
    >
    > application("usedDates") = application("usedDates") & "|" & nextUsedDate
    >
    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.

    No. my requirement is if the time (ex: 10:00 am of 13 Oct 2005) is booked
    then other user should not able to select that time (10:00 am) for 13 Oct.

    Thanks
    Prabhat

    Prabhat, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Prabhat

    Evertjan. Guest

    Prabhat wrote on 11 okt 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >
    >> If you mean not using the same date's at the same time,
    >> the easiest way seems to save them in an application variable string.
    >>
    >> application("usedDates") = application("usedDates") & "|" &
    >> nextUsedDate

    > No. my requirement is if the time (ex: 10:00 am of 13 Oct 2005) is
    > booked then other user should not able to select that time (10:00 am)
    > for 13 Oct.

    Ever?

    Or for the duration of the IIS-application?

    My assumption was the latest, so a list of used date/times in an
    application variable should suffice.

    If "ever" howver:

    you could make a list in a datebase, while deleting any used entry. The
    three choices could be randomly selected from the non deleted database
    records.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Oct 11, 2005
  6. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Ever?
    >
    > Or for the duration of the IIS-application?
    >
    > My assumption was the latest, so a list of used date/times in an
    > application variable should suffice.
    >
    > If "ever" howver:
    >
    > you could make a list in a datebase, while deleting any used entry. The
    > three choices could be randomly selected from the non deleted database
    > records.
    >
    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.

    I think the best way will be Application level because we will never process
    the details and this info will be used only to distribute the time for demo.

    So if that is Application level you are suggesting to go for Application
    variable. So i think I need to use lock and unlock before I send the page to
    client.

    application.lock
    application("usedDates") = application("usedDates") & "|" & nextUsedDate
    application.unlock

    and I will not fill the time combo (hours and minutes combo boxes) with the
    used ones? Can you please elaborate?

    Thanks
    Prabhat

    Prabhat, Oct 11, 2005
  7. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Ever?
    >
    > Or for the duration of the IIS-application?
    >
    > My assumption was the latest, so a list of used date/times in an
    > application variable should suffice.
    >
    > If "ever" howver:
    >
    > you could make a list in a datebase, while deleting any used entry. The
    > three choices could be randomly selected from the non deleted database
    > records.
    >
    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.

    In addition to my prev post... Then will not the Application variable will
    be very BIG after some days?

    Thanks
    Prabhat

    Prabhat, Oct 11, 2005
  8. Prabhat

    Evertjan. Guest

    Prabhat wrote on 11 okt 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >> Ever?
    >>
    >> Or for the duration of the IIS-application?
    >>
    >> My assumption was the latest, so a list of used date/times in an
    >> application variable should suffice.
    >>
    >> If "ever" howver:
    >>
    >> you could make a list in a datebase, while deleting any used entry.
    >> The three choices could be randomly selected from the non deleted
    >> database records.
    >>

    > application.lock
    > application("usedDates") = application("usedDates") & "|" &
    > nextUsedDate application.unlock
    >
    > and I will not fill the time combo (hours and minutes combo boxes)
    > with the used ones? Can you please elaborate?

    You would have to check this string for the existence of the palnned
    date/time, and if already there, try another one. The instr() comes
    handy.

    > In addition to my prev post... Then will not the Application variable
    > will be very BIG after some days?

    My distant website usualy restarts every few days and the whole proces
    coould start over again, with possibly the dame date/time-s if that is a
    problem, the application object is not the right choice.

    If your system doe not start over, you could empty the string when above
    a certain size [and perhaps renew the pool of available dates ad
    random?]:

    if len(application("usedDates"))>50000 then application("usedDates")=""

    [or a smaller number of letters?]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.