    them from a developers point of view. Is there a solution where i can
    run a newsreader on my server and that dumps the rss to a local source
    where my existing application can pick it up and run with it?
    digger440uk, Jun 1, 2006

  2. digger440uk

    Andy Dingley Guest

    digger440uk wrote:
    > I was using http://feeds.feedburner.com/reuters/worldNews/ to obtain
    > the rss feed of world news from Reuters. I was running a vb.net app
    > that would grab the file every 15 minutes, do some manipulation and
    > then thump the data into mysql. Now feedburner have blocked direct
    > access to the feed and advise me to download a newsreader.

    http://feeds.feedburner.com/reuters/worldNews/
    is still returning the raw RSS to me (Firefox). They've also stuck a
    client-side stylesheet on top of it, so that your browser's default
    presentation of it will be in HTML, not as raw RSS. However I still
    have just as much programmatic "access" to the RSS content as ever.

    >Is there a solution where i can run a newsreader on my server and that dumps the rss

    Try playing with different user-agent strings in your feed reader
    client, ones that don't look like well-known web browsers.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 2, 2006

  3. digger440uk

    digger440uk Guest

    thanks andy

    doh. i suddenly feel quite stupid. i should have looked at the source
    before posting.

    i suppose it's off topic now, but is there a newsreader out there that
    does a scheduled rss grab then dumps to a local file?

    digger440uk, Jun 2, 2006
  4. digger440uk

    Peter Flynn Guest

    digger440uk wrote:
    > thanks andy
    >
    > doh. i suddenly feel quite stupid. i should have looked at the source
    > before posting.
    >
    > i suppose it's off topic now, but is there a newsreader out there that
    > does a scheduled rss grab then dumps to a local file?

    Add this to your crontab:

    5 0,6,12,18 * * * wget -O ~/file.xml http://some.rss.uri >>/tmp/wget.log

    Adjust the minutes (here, 5 past the hour) and hours (here, four times a
    day) and the file, URI, and log to your requirements.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Jun 3, 2006