How do I catch unhandled Exceptions in Webservice (2.0)

Tomasz

Hello Everybody!

How do I catch unhandled exceptions in a Webservice application - .Net
Framework 2.0?

In Windows I can subscribe to the AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException
event. In ASP.Net applications Application_Error event handler can be used.

How do I get a similar functionality in a Webservice application?

I would like to be able log errors globally, *on the server side*, without
using try/catch blocks all over the code.

Thank you,

Tomasz

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Tomasz,

As for the ASP.NET webservice application, the exception handling mechanism
of it is quite different from ASP.NET web application. the
Application_Error event only works for web page application. For XML
Webservice, since all the unhandled exceptions in application are captured
and wrappered as a SoapException, also , this exception will be serialized
as a Soap <fault> element in SOAP message.

#Handling and Throwing Exceptions in XML Web Services
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ds492xtk.aspx

If you want to add a global handler to intercept all the exceptions occured
in ASP.NET webservice, you may consider creating a custom soapExtension to
do the work. Here is a good tech article detailedly discuss on this:

#User Friendly ASP.NET Exception Handling
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/ASPNETExceptionHandling.asp

If you have anything uncleaer on this, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Sure. If you have any more specific questions about the approach mentioned
in those articles, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Tomasz,

Any progress on this or does the SOAP extension means work for you? Please
feel free to let me know if there is anything else we can help.