How do I CHMOD a file on a linux host?

Bob K.

Is there an FTP program that can do CHMOD?

It may not be what I want, but I'd like to avoid having to use
..SHTML filetypes to get my SSI's to work. I understnad that
I can make an .HTM file 'executable' which will allow that
file to be pre-processed for SSI statements.

Thanks,
Bob

AyntRyte

Bob said:
Is there an FTP program that can do CHMOD?

It may not be what I want, but I'd like to avoid having to use
.SHTML filetypes to get my SSI's to work. I understnad that
I can make an .HTM file 'executable' which will allow that
file to be pre-processed for SSI statements.

Thanks,
Bob

Tried WS_FTP LE? It's no longer supported, but I recently saw a thread
on alt.comp.freeware that provides a link for download.

Select (single-click) the file on the server, right-click to show CHMOD
on the context menu (at least that's how it works on a unix server.)

BlackTieHosting.com

AyntRyte said:
Tried WS_FTP LE? It's no longer supported, but I recently saw a thread
on alt.comp.freeware that provides a link for download.

Select (single-click) the file on the server, right-click to show CHMOD
on the context menu (at least that's how it works on a unix server.)

Lots of free ones. Here's one:
http://www.smartftp.com

You can also search Yahoo or Google, or Cnet.com for
FTP clients.
________________________________
Reliable, Affordable cPanel Hosting Solutions
Packages Starting @ $2.49/mo
BlackTieHosting.com
http://www.blacktiehosting.com

PeterMcC

Bob I. wrote in
Is there an FTP program that can do CHMOD?

It may not be what I want, but I'd like to avoid having to use
.SHIM filetypes to get my SSI's to work. I understnad that
I can make an .HTM file 'executable' which will allow that
file to be pre-processed for SSI statements.

Don't know about the FTP prog but adding the following to your .htaccess
file will parse all your .htm files as they are served:
AddHandler server-parsed .htm

Toby A Inkster

AyntRyte said:
Tried WS_FTP LE? It's no longer supported, but I recently saw a thread
on alt.comp.freeware that provides a link for download.

It's bloody difficult to get hold of that nowadays, but it's a great piece
of software. It's the only GUI FTP client that I've ever really liked
(though Nautilus ain't bad).

David Dorward

Bob said:
Is there an FTP program that can do CHMOD?

Most can. In graphical ones check for "file permissions", often in a context
menu. Almost all console clients let you just type "chmod ???? filename".
I'm rather fond of ncftp client said:
It may not be what I want, but I'd like to avoid having to use
.SHTML filetypes to get my SSI's to work. I understnad that
I can make an .HTM file 'executable' which will allow that
file to be pre-processed for SSI statements.

This is the x-bit hack, not all systems are configured to recognise it.
<http://www.artsackett.com/grey_papers/ssi/rest_of_us.html>

Bob K.

Thanks to all. I did find one simpler way (mentioned
in a previous post) - have *ALL* htm files parsed
but adding "AddHandler server-parsed .htm" to
my .htaccess file.

Now another simple follow on question, where is that file??
(I've just set up my first domain on a linux/apache host
and I'm not familiar with linux or apache)
I read one caveat about doing that - that it slows everything
down as all .htm files would have to be preprocessed.
It's a low use domain, so I doubt that will be a major
problem.

Btw: I've been using ftp-explorer, which doesn't seem
to understand CHMOD. I have WS-FTP somewhere,
as I used it - but had problems with it.

Thanks,
Bob

Art Sackett

Bob K. said:
Thanks to all. I did find one simpler way (mentioned
in a previous post) - have *ALL* htm files parsed
but adding "AddHandler server-parsed .htm" to
my .htaccess file.

Now another simple follow on question, where is that file??

It's in the same directory as the documents you want to be affected by
it. So, if the HTML files that you want parsed are in
/home/user/public_html/, look there. It's entirely possible that there
isn't a file by that name already there, in which case you need to
create one. It's also possible that either the FTP server or FTP client
doesn't want you to see "dotfiles" -- you may have to work that out
first.

PeterMcC

Art Sackett wrote in
It's in the same directory as the documents you want to be affected by
it. So, if the HTML files that you want parsed are in
/home/user/public_html/, look there. It's entirely possible that there
isn't a file by that name already there, in which case you need to
create one. It's also possible that either the FTP server or FTP
client doesn't want you to see "dotfiles" -- you may have to work
that out first.

If you use wsftp there's a little slot below the MkDir, type in -a and click
refresh. You'll then see the .htaccess file if it's there.

If it isn't, you can write the file in notepad as htaccess.txt, transfer it
to your server and rename it to .htaccess - it will then magically disappear
unless you do the -a thing.