How do I command a browser screen to front from asp?

dar7yl

Our application launches a webbrowser window with a command to (more than
one) asp's on the host. The window is reused for subsequent commands.
Unfortunately, the old window is usually underneath some other window and
unaccessable from the application.

Is there (preferably) a browser-independant method to command the window to
front from the asp?

thanks for your help.
regards,
Dar7yl.

Jeff Cochran

Our application launches a webbrowser window with a command to (more than
one) asp's on the host. The window is reused for subsequent commands.
Unfortunately, the old window is usually underneath some other window and
unaccessable from the application.

Is there (preferably) a browser-independant method to command the window to
front from the asp?

No, that's a client-side issue. And you know, I'm not sure I've even
seen one client-side, but you may find one. Alternatively, close and
don't reuse that window.

Jeff

dar7yl

Jeff Cochran" said:
No, that's a client-side issue. And you know, I'm not sure I've even
seen one client-side, but you may find one.

Developers nowadays are so focused upon the server that they forget that it
is there to service the client. Yes, this is an asp group, but there is
life outside the server. Focus outward.
Alternatively, close and
don't reuse that window.

Not an option. The window belongs to the user. He may decide to close it or
reuse it. If he does reuse it, a simple screen-to-front command would be
appropriate. What options are available to the asp programmer to control
the calling browser display properties?

regards,
Dar7yl.

Roland Hall

:
: Developers nowadays are so focused upon the server that they forget that
it
: is there to service the client. Yes, this is an asp group, but there is
: life outside the server. Focus outward.

I'm going to use that argument with my mechanic when I take my motorcycle to
him and he says, "We only work on Corvettes!" I'm gonna' say, there is life
outside the Corvette. Focus outward!

: > Alternatively, close and
: > don't reuse that window.
:
: Not an option. The window belongs to the user. He may decide to close it
or
: reuse it.

Your application opened it, and named it, hopefully and we can guess at how
your application works or perhaps you can include more in your post to a
j(ava)script NG.

: If he does reuse it, a simple screen-to-front command would be
: appropriate.

And there is one, in javascript.

: What options are available to the asp programmer to control
: the calling browser display properties?

You're not listening. It is a client-side issue! ASP ONLY deals with the
server no matter how outward you focus. (O:=

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Yes, this is an asp group, but there is life outside the server.

So let's all jump into an Oracle group and tell them that they must answer
our questions about Access or SQL Server or basket-weaving or the recipe for
Dr. Pepper, because after all, there is life outside of Oracle.
reuse it. If he does reuse it, a simple screen-to-front command would be
appropriate. What options are available to the asp programmer to control
the calling browser display properties?

As Jeff said, this is a client-side issue. ASP does not know what a window
is. You could try setting focus() to a form element on the other window.
If you open the window with a name, you can reference it that way... see a
JScript/JavaScript group for more information.

Jeff Cochran

Developers nowadays are so focused upon the server that they forget that it
is there to service the client. Yes, this is an asp group, but there is
life outside the server. Focus outward.

The group is focused on ASP. There *are* client side groups,
Javascript, VBScript, DHTML, etc available for those answers. You may
want to refocus outward toward those groups for answers they can best
provide.
Not an option. The window belongs to the user. He may decide to close it or
reuse it. If he does reuse it, a simple screen-to-front command would be
appropriate. What options are available to the asp programmer to control
the calling browser display properties?

I'd argue the window belongs to the app, but that's really just a
design issue. As far as options for the ASP programmer to control the
browser, there are none. But there are plenty for a Javascript
programmer.

Keep in mind that ASP isn't your entire application. ASP is simply
the server technology, and you are heavily using a client side
technology as well. I'm not trying to be an ass (though I usually get
accused of that anyway), I'm trying to point you to an alternative
location where your question would be best answered with the options
available.

Jeff

Joker

Learn JavaScript or post in a JavaScript newsgroup.
Our application launches a webbrowser window with a command to (more than
one) asp's on the host. The window is reused for subsequent commands.
Unfortunately, the old window is usually underneath some other window and
unaccessable from the application.

Is there (preferably) a browser-independant method to command the window to
front from the asp?

thanks for your help.
regards,
Dar7yl.