    thanks for your help.
    regards,
    Dar7yl.
    dar7yl, Oct 19, 2004

  2. dar7yl

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:45:24 GMT, "dar7yl" <>
    wrote:

    >Our application launches a webbrowser window with a command to (more than
    >one) asp's on the host. The window is reused for subsequent commands.
    >Unfortunately, the old window is usually underneath some other window and
    >unaccessable from the application.
    >
    >Is there (preferably) a browser-independant method to command the window to
    >front from the asp?

    No, that's a client-side issue. And you know, I'm not sure I've even
    seen one client-side, but you may find one. Alternatively, close and
    don't reuse that window.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Oct 19, 2004

  3. dar7yl

    dar7yl Guest

    "Jeff Cochran" wrote:
    > No, that's a client-side issue. And you know, I'm not sure I've even
    > seen one client-side, but you may find one.

    Developers nowadays are so focused upon the server that they forget that it
    is there to service the client. Yes, this is an asp group, but there is
    life outside the server. Focus outward.

    > Alternatively, close and
    > don't reuse that window.

    Not an option. The window belongs to the user. He may decide to close it or
    reuse it. If he does reuse it, a simple screen-to-front command would be
    appropriate. What options are available to the asp programmer to control
    the calling browser display properties?

    regards,
    Dar7yl.
    dar7yl, Oct 19, 2004
  4. dar7yl

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : Developers nowadays are so focused upon the server that they forget that
    it
    : is there to service the client. Yes, this is an asp group, but there is
    : life outside the server. Focus outward.

    I'm going to use that argument with my mechanic when I take my motorcycle to
    him and he says, "We only work on Corvettes!" I'm gonna' say, there is life
    outside the Corvette. Focus outward!

    : > Alternatively, close and
    : > don't reuse that window.
    :
    : Not an option. The window belongs to the user. He may decide to close it
    or
    : reuse it.

    Your application opened it, and named it, hopefully and we can guess at how
    your application works or perhaps you can include more in your post to a
    j(ava)script NG.

    : If he does reuse it, a simple screen-to-front command would be
    : appropriate.

    And there is one, in javascript.

    : What options are available to the asp programmer to control
    : the calling browser display properties?

    You're not listening. It is a client-side issue! ASP ONLY deals with the
    server no matter how outward you focus. (O:=

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Oct 19, 2004
  5. > Yes, this is an asp group, but there is life outside the server.

    So let's all jump into an Oracle group and tell them that they must answer
    our questions about Access or SQL Server or basket-weaving or the recipe for
    Dr. Pepper, because after all, there is life outside of Oracle.

    > reuse it. If he does reuse it, a simple screen-to-front command would be
    > appropriate. What options are available to the asp programmer to control
    > the calling browser display properties?

    As Jeff said, this is a client-side issue. ASP does not know what a window
    is. You could try setting focus() to a form element on the other window.
    If you open the window with a name, you can reference it that way... see a
    JScript/JavaScript group for more information.
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Oct 19, 2004
  6. dar7yl

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:46:19 GMT, "dar7yl" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jeff Cochran" wrote:
    >> No, that's a client-side issue. And you know, I'm not sure I've even
    >> seen one client-side, but you may find one.

    >Developers nowadays are so focused upon the server that they forget that it
    >is there to service the client. Yes, this is an asp group, but there is
    >life outside the server. Focus outward.

    The group is focused on ASP. There *are* client side groups,
    Javascript, VBScript, DHTML, etc available for those answers. You may
    want to refocus outward toward those groups for answers they can best
    provide.

    >> Alternatively, close and
    >> don't reuse that window.

    >Not an option. The window belongs to the user. He may decide to close it or
    >reuse it. If he does reuse it, a simple screen-to-front command would be
    >appropriate. What options are available to the asp programmer to control
    >the calling browser display properties?

    I'd argue the window belongs to the app, but that's really just a
    design issue. As far as options for the ASP programmer to control the
    browser, there are none. But there are plenty for a Javascript
    programmer.

    Keep in mind that ASP isn't your entire application. ASP is simply
    the server technology, and you are heavily using a client side
    technology as well. I'm not trying to be an ass (though I usually get
    accused of that anyway), I'm trying to point you to an alternative
    location where your question would be best answered with the options
    available.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Oct 19, 2004
  7. dar7yl

    Joker Guest

    Learn JavaScript or post in a JavaScript newsgroup.

    dar7yl wrote:

    > Our application launches a webbrowser window with a command to (more than
    > one) asp's on the host. The window is reused for subsequent commands.
    > Unfortunately, the old window is usually underneath some other window and
    > unaccessable from the application.
    >
    > Is there (preferably) a browser-independant method to command the window to
    > front from the asp?
    >
    > thanks for your help.
    > regards,
    > Dar7yl.