How do I correct this -- fast

Prof. Marvel

Here's a site I just competed. The owner is telling me the photo strip on
the right is cutting of at the neck of some of the people or not showing
complete frames. Here's the css for the photo strip on the right. As you can
see, the width is a percentage while the height is in pixels. My resolution
is 1028 x 768 and I get it perfectly. Don't know what the owner's monitor
resolution is, but I'm thinking it shouldn't matter in any event.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what I've done wrong here and how to correct it?
Here's the url:

www.piedmonthome.com

Maria

William Tasso

Prof. Marvel said:
Here's a site I just competed. The owner is telling me the photo
strip on the right is cutting of at the neck of some of the people or
not showing complete frames. Here's the css for the photo strip on
the right. As you can see, the width is a percentage while the height
is in pixels. My resolution is 1028 x 768 and I get it perfectly.

At larger resolutions the images repeat along the x-axis. The height looks
ok here though in ie6/Moz1.2/Opera 7.11

Prof. Marvel

William Tasso said:
At larger resolutions the images repeat along the x-axis. The height looks
ok here though in ie6/Moz1.2/Opera 7.11
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Thanks, Bill.

I'm being told that the right photo strip is being cut off both in width and
height. I suppose the person telling me this is using 800 x 600. How do I
fix it?

M.

Steve Pugh

Prof. Marvel said:
Here's a site I just competed. The owner is telling me the photo strip on
the right is cutting of at the neck of some of the people or not showing
complete frames. Here's the css for the photo strip on the right. As you can
see, the width is a percentage while the height is in pixels. My resolution
is 1028 x 768 and I get it perfectly. Don't know what the owner's monitor
resolution is, but I'm thinking it shouldn't matter in any event.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what I've done wrong here and how to correct it?
Here's the url:

www.piedmonthome.com

Definitely cuts the girl in half at 800x600
http://steve.pugh.net/test/piedmont.jpg

Steve

William Tasso

Prof. Marvel said:
Thanks, Bill.

I'm being told that the right photo strip is being cut off both in
width and height. I suppose the person telling me this is using 800 x
600. How do I fix it?

The width: use a smaller image or get your client a better graphic card.

The height: tricky, I just tested in ie5 too and it looks ok (there are
other issues but nothing major). Best you find out which os/browser combo
the client has and research any known bugs/hacks.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:40:14 -0500, Prof. Marvelremovethis is
reported to have stated:

The code in this site is a mess. I notice you are using an XHTML doctype,
but your code looks like HTML to me (with lots of deprecated code, mind
you). Insert an HTML doctype instead (4.01 Strict would be ideal), then
validate your HTML and CSS.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.piedmonthome.com

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.piedmonth
ome.com

As for the problem with the photo strip, the only really feasible solution
would be to reduce the width of the image. If the image is 800px wide
(just picking a number at random), then that is how wide it will show
unless you specify a different width. You have specified a % width for the
div that the image is in, but not for the image itself (there is no way to
do this AFAIK for a background image).

Setting a different width on the image itself is not an ideal solution,
because the image will look distorted.

HTH