    to a page that I've uploaded? I've figured out how to make files
    underneath the domain name, but not how to point the domain name to a
    single file on the webhost.

    Rob, Dec 27, 2003

  2. (Rob) wrote in
    news::

    > What do I need to do to tie my domain name (ie: www.mydomainname.com)
    > to a page that I've uploaded? I've figured out how to make files
    > underneath the domain name, but not how to point the domain name to a
    > single file on the webhost.

    You cannot point a domain to a page. You must create a page with a
    specific name.

    Create a page with any of the following names and it should work:
    index.htm
    index.html

    Some of the following names may also work depending on your host:
    default.htm
    index.php
    default.php
    index.shtml

    Basically, if you only enter the domain name and don't append a page name,
    the webserver looks for a page with one of the "default" names.

    --
    Edward Alfert - http://www.rootmode.com/
    Discount Code (Recurring 25% Off): newsgroup

    Edward Alfert, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Edward Alfert wrote:

    > (Rob) wrote in
    >

    >>What do I need to do to tie my domain name (ie: www.mydomainname.com)
    >>to a page that I've uploaded? I've figured out how to make files
    >>underneath the domain name, but not how to point the domain name to a
    >>single file on the webhost.
    >>

    > You cannot point a domain to a page. You must create a page with a
    > specific name.

    But you can redirect, right? (.htaccess is my new infatuation)

    JustAnotherGuy, Dec 27, 2003
  4. <snip>
    > But you can redirect, right? (.htaccess is my new infatuation)

    Yes. this is true. You can either redirect in .htaccess using mod_rewrite
    or create a default page and use meta or php to redirect.

    --
    Edward Alfert - http://www.rootmode.com/
    Coupon Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup

    Edward Alfert, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Rob

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Rob said:

    > What do I need to do to tie my domain name (ie: www.mydomainname.com)
    > to a page that I've uploaded?

    string

    --
    brucie
    28/December/2003 08:20:58 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Rob

    Richard Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > What do I need to do to tie my domain name (ie: www.mydomainname.com)
    > to a page that I've uploaded? I've figured out how to make files
    > underneath the domain name, but not how to point the domain name to a
    > single file on the webhost.

    Go to this page
    </a>

    A blue line would appear under "go to this page" as in www.stupidsplace.com