    The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
    http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
    (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.
    mcp6453, Jun 20, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
    >
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
    >
    > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
    > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
    > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
    > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
    > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

    But useless if the user has images turned off... not as if you can represent
    the text as an alt tag as it's defeat the purpose. I'd suggest providing a
    form instead - if you are that concerned about harvesting. We did this a
    while back after we started to sink under the weight of spam. Now our
    commercial email addresses are totally masked online.
    SpaceGirl, Jun 20, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Hywel Guest

    Hywel, Jun 20, 2004
  4. mcp6453 wrote:

    > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
    >
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
    >
    > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
    > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
    > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
    > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
    > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

    yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
    bots will see this.

    anyway, use Windows Paint.

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 20, 2004
  5. "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <> wrote in message
    > mcp6453 wrote:
    >
    > > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
    > >
    > > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
    > >
    > > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
    > > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
    > > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
    > > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
    > > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

    > yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
    > bots will see this.

    Unless they've changed it since you posted...its not a link, as far as I can
    see. Clicking on it does nothing.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
    Managed, Dedicated & Colo Servers
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Jun 20, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    Dave Patton Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
    >
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
    >
    > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
    > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
    > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
    > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
    > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

    The above example isn't useful, because they put the email address
    in the image's alt text, therefore it can be harvested.

    If you look at our Contact Us page:
    http://www.confluence.org/contact.php
    and have Javascript enabled, you'll get mailto links. If Javascript
    is disabled, you get the addresses as images. Either way, the email
    addresses can't easily be harvested from the webpage. It's done
    using a combination of server-side scripting(PHP) and Javascript,
    and PHP uses the GD library to generate the images.

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Jun 20, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

    > "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <> wrote in message
    > > mcp6453 wrote:
    > >
    > > > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
    > > >
    > > > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
    > > >
    > > > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
    > > > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
    > > > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
    > > > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
    > > > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

    > > yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
    > > bots will see this.

    > Unless they've changed it since you posted...its not a link, as far as I can
    > see. Clicking on it does nothing.

    Yeah, I just noticed it myself. Since the underlying HTML would have to
    include an <a href> with a textual mailto, it appears that using a
    graphic instead of clear text doesn't accomplish anything.

    I was able to make these in Paint Shop Pro and in Paint. Duh. I remember
    trying to do this once before and not having any success. That's
    probably why I'm not a graphics designer!
    mcp6453, Jun 20, 2004
  8. "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <> wrote in message
    > mcp6453 wrote:
    >
    > > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
    > >
    > > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
    > >
    > > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
    > > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
    > > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
    > > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
    > > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

    > yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
    > bots will see this.

    Then make it so they can't read it:

    spexdesign.co.uk">dean
    @aspexdesign.co.uk
    </a>

    Try adding that to a page (and fixing the word wrap!) and you
    will see what looks like pefectly normal link to my email address,
    but bots won't be able to read it.

    Just replace the letters with the codes for the letters. i.e.

    a = a
    b = b
    c = c
    e = d
    f = e
    etc. etc.

    Plus there are codes for the special characters such as:

    @ = @

    Hope that helps

    --
    Dean / Psyonic
    www.aspexdesign.co.uk Free graphics files and more
    Psyonicdreams, Jun 20, 2004
  9. mcp6453

    Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:27:55 GMT, mcp6453 <> took
    a very strange rock and inscribed these words:

    >I was able to make these in Paint Shop Pro and in Paint. Duh. I remember
    >trying to do this once before and not having any success. That's
    >probably why I'm not a graphics designer!

    Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
    don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???) If you use a new
    layer for the text, then you can do it over and over again by deleting
    the botched layers and starting over just for that part without
    affecting the rest of your graphic layout.

    Graphic design, for me, is like learning to rollerskate. To succeed,
    you have to keep getting back up and trying again until you get it
    right.

    (*However* -- back when I was learning to rollerskate, I had a lot
    more time to devote to it.)

    Therese Shellabarger - Civis Mundi -
    - Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun
    , Jun 20, 2004
  10. mcp6453

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Psyonicdreams wrote:

    > Then make it so they can't read it:

    > spexdesign.co.uk">dean
    > @aspexdesign.co.uk
    > </a>

    Any Spambot worth its bytes will almost certainly have routine to replace
    the above codes with the associated characters.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Jun 20, 2004
  11. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Any Spambot worth its bytes will almost certainly have routine to replace
    > the above codes with the associated characters.

    Though studies have shown that they generally don't! (Sorry, don't have a
    URL to hand right now)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jun 20, 2004
  12. tlshell wrote:

    > Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
    > don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???)

    PSP had layers last time I used it. The GIMP does too.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jun 20, 2004
  13. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

    > Unless they've changed it since you posted...its not a link, as far as I can
    > see. Clicking on it does nothing.

    heh missed that :)

    I just took a look, I didn't move over it - most people put it as a link.

    It's a good idea NOT as a link imo. I'd prefer this to a form - forms
    can be icky - sometimes I want to e-mail them using my own software, not
    rely on a form :)

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 20, 2004
  14. wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:27:55 GMT, mcp6453 <> took
    > a very strange rock and inscribed these words:
    >

    >>I was able to make these in Paint Shop Pro and in Paint. Duh. I remember
    >>trying to do this once before and not having any success. That's
    >>probably why I'm not a graphics designer!

    > Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
    > don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???) If you use a new
    > layer for the text, then you can do it over and over again by deleting
    > the botched layers and starting over just for that part without
    > affecting the rest of your graphic layout.

    PSP supports layers.

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 20, 2004
  15. mcp6453

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >> Any Spambot worth its bytes will almost certainly have routine to replace
    >> the above codes with the associated characters.

    > Though studies have shown that they generally don't! (Sorry, don't have a
    > URL to hand right now)

    True enough. Incidentally, one of my assignments in my Agent Technologies
    module was to write an e-mail harvester, with the understanding that if we
    ever actually used the finished programs we would be severely reprimanded
    :S

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Now playing: Yes - Starship Trooper [live]
    Dylan Parry, Jun 20, 2004
  16. mcp6453

    John J Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >
    > > Any Spambot worth its bytes will almost certainly have routine to

    replace
    > > the above codes with the associated characters.

    > Though studies have shown that they generally don't! (Sorry, don't have a
    > URL to hand right now)
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    > Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

    The URL you were looking for, though it is from March 2003:

    http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

    I use this encoder, popular from alt.webmaster:

    http://mypage.direct.ca/s/schinke/encode/

    John
    John J, Jun 20, 2004
  17. wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:27:55 GMT, mcp6453 <> took
    > a very strange rock and inscribed these words:

    >>I was able to make these in Paint Shop Pro and in Paint. Duh. I remember
    >>trying to do this once before and not having any success. That's
    >>probably why I'm not a graphics designer!

    > Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
    > don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???) If you use a new

    My copy of PSP 5.01 dated 1998 does.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2004
  18. Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

    >> It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
    >> avoiding harvesting by robots.

    If the objective is avoiding harvesting the use this link to make a
    little script of your mailto: link

    http://www.janaserver.de/start.php?lang=en&menue=part_sons&content=emailcod

    Put a name or a descriptive for the person rather than his email address
    in the linktext field and your address won't be collected from the net
    as most people don't hide their addres that way the bot's don't bother
    to look and don't make routines to decript it . However if everybody
    does they probably will start doing so and then we need other methods of
    hiding from the bots..

    by the way encrypting my email address this way had good impact on the
    spam/content ratio of my inbox spam degminished slowly by 10 and now
    already by 30 % .

    so there is a positive impact
    derek giroulle, Jun 22, 2004