How do I create this image?

SpaceGirl

mcp6453 said:
How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?

http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif

It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
(for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

But useless if the user has images turned off... not as if you can represent
the text as an alt tag as it's defeat the purpose. I'd suggest providing a
form instead - if you are that concerned about harvesting. We did this a
while back after we started to sink under the weight of spam. Now our
commercial email addresses are totally masked online.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

mcp6453 said:
How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?

http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif

It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
(for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
bots will see this.

anyway, use Windows Paint.

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg said:
yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
bots will see this.

Unless they've changed it since you posted...its not a link, as far as I can
see. Clicking on it does nothing.

--Tina

Dave Patton

mcp6453 said:
How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?

http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif

It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
(for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

The above example isn't useful, because they put the email address
in the image's alt text, therefore it can be harvested.

If you look at our Contact Us page:
http://www.confluence.org/contact.php
and have Javascript enabled, you'll get mailto links. If Javascript
is disabled, you get the addresses as images. Either way, the email
addresses can't easily be harvested from the webpage. It's done
using a combination of server-side scripting(PHP) and Javascript,
and PHP uses the GD library to generate the images.

mcp6453

Tina said:
Unless they've changed it since you posted...its not a link, as far as I can
see. Clicking on it does nothing.

Yeah, I just noticed it myself. Since the underlying HTML would have to
include an <a href> with a textual mailto, it appears that using a
graphic instead of clear text doesn't accomplish anything.

I was able to make these in Paint Shop Pro and in Paint. Duh. I remember
trying to do this once before and not having any success. That's
probably why I'm not a graphics designer!

Psyonicdreams

Weyoun the Dancing Borg said:
yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
bots will see this.

Then make it so they can't read it:

spexdesign.co.uk">dean
@aspexdesign.co.uk
</a>

Try adding that to a page (and fixing the word wrap!) and you
will see what looks like pefectly normal link to my email address,
but bots won't be able to read it.

Just replace the letters with the codes for the letters. i.e.

a = a
b = b
c = c
e = d
f = e
etc. etc.

Plus there are codes for the special characters such as:

@ = @

Hope that helps

tlshell

I was able to make these in Paint Shop Pro and in Paint. Duh. I remember
trying to do this once before and not having any success. That's
probably why I'm not a graphics designer!

Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???) If you use a new
layer for the text, then you can do it over and over again by deleting
the botched layers and starting over just for that part without
affecting the rest of your graphic layout.

Graphic design, for me, is like learning to rollerskate. To succeed,
you have to keep getting back up and trying again until you get it
right.

(*However* -- back when I was learning to rollerskate, I had a lot
more time to devote to it.)

Therese Shellabarger - Civis Mundi - (e-mail address removed)
- Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun

Dylan Parry

Psyonicdreams said:
Then make it so they can't read it:

spexdesign.co.uk">dean
@aspexdesign.co.uk
</a>

Any Spambot worth its bytes will almost certainly have routine to replace
the above codes with the associated characters.

Toby A Inkster

Dylan said:
Any Spambot worth its bytes will almost certainly have routine to replace
the above codes with the associated characters.

Though studies have shown that they generally don't! (Sorry, don't have a
URL to hand right now)

Toby A Inkster

tlshell said:
Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???)

PSP had layers last time I used it. The GIMP does too.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

Unless they've changed it since you posted...its not a link, as far as I can
see. Clicking on it does nothing.

heh missed that :)

I just took a look, I didn't move over it - most people put it as a link.

It's a good idea NOT as a link imo. I'd prefer this to a form - forms
can be icky - sometimes I want to e-mail them using my own software, not
rely on a form :)

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???) If you use a new
layer for the text, then you can do it over and over again by deleting
the botched layers and starting over just for that part without
affecting the rest of your graphic layout.

PSP supports layers.

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Dylan Parry

Toby said:
Though studies have shown that they generally don't! (Sorry, don't have a
URL to hand right now)

True enough. Incidentally, one of my assignments in my Agent Technologies
module was to write an e-mail harvester, with the understanding that if we
ever actually used the finished programs we would be severely reprimanded
:S

Blinky the Shark

Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???) If you use a new

My copy of PSP 5.01 dated 1998 does.

derek giroulle

If the objective is avoiding harvesting the use this link to make a
little script of your mailto: link

http://www.janaserver.de/start.php?lang=en&menue=part_sons&content=emailcod

Put a name or a descriptive for the person rather than his email address
in the linktext field and your address won't be collected from the net
as most people don't hide their addres that way the bot's don't bother
to look and don't make routines to decript it . However if everybody
does they probably will start doing so and then we need other methods of
hiding from the bots..

by the way encrypting my email address this way had good impact on the
spam/content ratio of my inbox spam degminished slowly by 10 and now
already by 30 % .

so there is a positive impact