    Andy Guest

    As per the question really.

    Not trying to stop them leaving, but just detect WHEN they leave the site
    Andy, Apr 28, 2008

  2. You can set up JavaScript on a page, but you will have to make it elaborate
    enough to distinguish page unload from page unload to another site. This is
    how sites that try to get you to download trojans work, popping up a modal
    popup when the user leaves a page, except they do it on any unload.

    Storing that they have left will require an AJAX like solution, as you will
    have to have the JavaScript contact the server.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Apr 28, 2008

  3. Due to disconnected nature of the Web applications it's a bit hard (and
    always not reliable).

    First you need to define for yourself "exit time".
    Then you need to define precision. For example "We need 1 hour timeframe".
    Meaning that if user left 8:50 and we detected it by 9:00 then we fine... .
    Here are some thing you can test if they going to work for you.

    1. You can get last time user has requested anything from your site. And
    call it your "exit time". Basically update exit time everytime user had send
    a request to aspx. At the end when user closes the browser you will have
    last "exit time".

    Problem: if user requested page "article.aspx" and then sitting there
    reading it for 30 minutes and then closes browser you will have exit time 30
    minutes before user actually closed the browser...

    But this comes does to definition of what is "exit time".

    2. To reduce lag time specified in #1 you can have a JavaScript that would
    refresh a tiny image on your page every minute. then if user looked at your
    page for 30 minutes you will have exit time within one minute range...

    But this comes down to the precision... And obviously will have a problem if
    JavaScript is disabled.

    Check out this on how to do that with an image...
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/SessionForever.aspx

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Apr 28, 2008
  4. Andy

    bruce barker Guest

    there is no surefire way. the most common is a lightweight ajax call on page
    unload (which will fire on every page referesh), then run a timer on the
    server to detect that the user did not return to the site. you can also use a
    session timeout for this (20 minutes of no site hits).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Apr 28, 2008
  5. Client side JavaScript is the most surefire, but one can easily circumvent
    it by killing the browser. LOL ;-)

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Apr 28, 2008