How do I detect the RealPlayer plugin ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Werner Hofer, Jun 23, 2005.

  1. Werner Hofer

    Werner Hofer Guest

    Hi
    how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not? I tried
    but without success.
    This detection script should differentiate between browsers ( minimum IE
    and NS ).

    Thank you for your help in advance
    Werner

    --
    Web-Designing
    Ursula & Werner Hofer

    Werner Hofer, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Werner Hofer

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Werner Hofer wrote:
    > Hi
    > how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not? I tried
    > but without success.
    > This detection script should differentiate between browsers ( minimum IE
    > and NS ).
    >
    > Thank you for your help in advance
    > Werner

    By the screaming of the user?

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Werner Hofer

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Werner Hofer" <> wrote:

    >how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not?

    No need to.

    >I tried but without success.

    The web is slightly because you failed.

    >This detection script

    Content should be available regardless of the availability of client
    side scripting.

    >should differentiate between browsers ( minimum IE
    >and NS ).

    The user's choice of browser is none of your business.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jun 23, 2005
  4. SpaceGirl wrote:
    > Werner Hofer wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not? I
    >> tried but without success.
    >> This detection script should differentiate between browsers ( minimum
    >> IE and NS ).

    > By the screaming of the user?

    I rather watch the movie 'Scream'.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 23, 2005
  5. Werner Hofer

    Guest

    Werner Hofer wrote:
    > Hi
    > how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not? I tried
    > but without success.
    > This detection script should differentiate between browsers ( minimum IE
    > and NS ).

    If you will go to the advanced search at Google and enter "real player
    detection" in the text box for inclusion of all words, you will find a
    few references. One is http://www.rgagnon.com/jsdetails/js-0056.html .
    However, I should warn you that this type of detection is tricky. There
    likely is better information at the Real developer site, but finding it
    in their huge number of pages may be difficult. Beware of detection
    that includes a VB script, as I believe VB is a Microsoft thing and
    does not work on many other browsers. The IE6 can use ActiveX to play
    Real formats, but not other browsers. For the Microsoft .wma and .wmv
    formats, IE6 and the most recent Netscape browsers can play these
    formats using ActiveX. An ActiveX plugin for the WMP only can be added
    to recent versions of Mozilla and Firefox, but you can not count on
    people having it installed. Hence, most of the large media sites uses
    an ActiveX object with an embed within it. Players that support ActiveX
    use that path, and those that do not ignore it and find the embed
    written within the ActiveX object. Automatic direction to download
    sites for the players can be included in the object, but I am not sure
    how many people, other than a mother or lover, would take the time to
    download an about 12 MB player if they are on dialup.

    Here are a few observations that might help you. The WMP will not play
    Real audio and video formats, but the Real player will play both
    Microsoft WMP formats and Real formats. Thus if you encode your audio
    or video in the Microsoft formats .wma and .wmv, it will play on either
    a WMP or Real player. Perhaps also on Apple's QT player too, although I
    have not checked this lately. You can get free encoders from both Real
    and Microsoft for their formats. Thus you may be able to avoid
    detection. Of course I do not know exactly what you want to do, so my
    comments may or may not be useful to you.

    , Jun 24, 2005