How do I detect the RealPlayer plugin ?

Werner Hofer

Hi
how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not? I tried
but without success.
This detection script should differentiate between browsers ( minimum IE
and NS ).

Thank you for your help in advance
Werner

--
Web-Designing
Ursula & Werner Hofer

SpaceGirl

Werner said:
Hi
how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not? I tried
but without success.
This detection script should differentiate between browsers ( minimum IE
and NS ).

Thank you for your help in advance
Werner

By the screaming of the user?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Spartanicus

Werner Hofer said:
how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not?

No need to.
I tried but without success.

The web is slightly because you failed.
This detection script

Content should be available regardless of the availability of client
side scripting.
should differentiate between browsers ( minimum IE
and NS ).

The user's choice of browser is none of your business.

cwdjrxyz

Werner said:
Hi
how can i detect wheater a Realplayer Plugin is installed or not? I tried
but without success.
This detection script should differentiate between browsers ( minimum IE
and NS ).

If you will go to the advanced search at Google and enter "real player
detection" in the text box for inclusion of all words, you will find a
few references. One is http://www.rgagnon.com/jsdetails/js-0056.html .
However, I should warn you that this type of detection is tricky. There
likely is better information at the Real developer site, but finding it
in their huge number of pages may be difficult. Beware of detection
that includes a VB script, as I believe VB is a Microsoft thing and
does not work on many other browsers. The IE6 can use ActiveX to play
Real formats, but not other browsers. For the Microsoft .wma and .wmv
formats, IE6 and the most recent Netscape browsers can play these
formats using ActiveX. An ActiveX plugin for the WMP only can be added
to recent versions of Mozilla and Firefox, but you can not count on
people having it installed. Hence, most of the large media sites uses
an ActiveX object with an embed within it. Players that support ActiveX
use that path, and those that do not ignore it and find the embed
written within the ActiveX object. Automatic direction to download
sites for the players can be included in the object, but I am not sure
how many people, other than a mother or lover, would take the time to
download an about 12 MB player if they are on dialup.

Here are a few observations that might help you. The WMP will not play
Real audio and video formats, but the Real player will play both
Microsoft WMP formats and Real formats. Thus if you encode your audio
or video in the Microsoft formats .wma and .wmv, it will play on either
a WMP or Real player. Perhaps also on Apple's QT player too, although I
have not checked this lately. You can get free encoders from both Real
and Microsoft for their formats. Thus you may be able to avoid
detection. Of course I do not know exactly what you want to do, so my
comments may or may not be useful to you.