How do I fix this error: "The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write ac

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange. I
    started getting the message below last week. I googled the error and not
    much was returned, but I did find this;
    http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx

    I tried both items in the forum and it works for a few hits then it happens
    again!

    Anyone have the same problem? How do I fix this?

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
    access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files'.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The current identity (NT
    AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.SetUpCodegenDirectory(CompilationSection
    compilationSection) +3473131
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags)
    +226

    [HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3425571
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +149

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.26; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.26

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005

  2. TheBurgerMan wrote:
    > Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange.
    > I started getting the message below last week. I googled the error
    > and not much was returned, but I did find this;
    > http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx

    I would check for a GPO that might be modifying these permissions.

    --
    Jim Cheshire
    JIMCO Software

    JIMCO Software, Oct 17, 2005

  3. RE: How do I fix this error: "The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWO

    Simply open Windows Explorer and give Network Service access rights
    read/write to the Temporary ASP.NET directory. This is fairly simple on
    Win2k3. On XP, you have to enable simple sharing to get the security tab to
    show.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    ***************************
    Think Outside the Box!
    ***************************

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Oct 17, 2005
  4. TheBurgerMan,

    I think you should try giving the NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE account
    modify permissions on the
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files folder
    manually.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Oct 17, 2005
  5. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    Thanks for all the responses. I have changed the ACL to add the NETWORK
    SERVICE account to the Temp directory (just now), but I am leary of opening
    security holes on my box. Is there an actual problem that will cause my
    site to keep craping out?

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005
  6. TheBurgerMan wrote:
    > Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange.
    > I started getting the message below last week. I googled the error
    > and not much was returned, but I did find this;
    > http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx
    >
    > I tried both items in the forum and it works for a few hits then it
    > happens again!

    FYI, when you run the commands in the post above, it changes the permissions
    and gives NETWORK SERVICE appropriate permissions. That's why it works when
    you do that. If something is then changing the permissions "magically" so
    that it doesn't work anymore, a GPO (Group Policy Object) is the most likely
    candidate.

    --
    Jim Cheshire
    JIMCO Software

    JIMCO Software, Oct 17, 2005
  7. TheBurgerMan wrote:
    > Thanks for all the responses. I have changed the ACL to add the
    > NETWORK SERVICE account to the Temp directory (just now), but I am
    > leary of opening security holes on my box. Is there an actual
    > problem that will cause my site to keep craping out?
    >
    > --

    NETWORK SERVICE needs write access there. That's the default permissions.

    As to what might cause it to keep crapping out, see my previous post. If
    you want to find out if that's it, go to a command line and run this:

    gpupdate /force

    After that takes effect, see if it's broken again. If it is, a GPO is
    altering permissions and you need to talk to your domain admin about
    modifying it.

    --
    Jim Cheshire
    JIMCO Software

    JIMCO Software, Oct 17, 2005
  8. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    Thanks Jim. When I ran the "aspnet_regiis -ga "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE" earlier, I examined the ACL permissions right away and "NETWORK
    SERVICE" had only read access, but the site came up!

    Anyway, I will check the GPO and let you know (a poet and I didn't even know
    it).

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005
  9. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    I ran the gpupdate and the site crapped out again, also "NETWORK SERVICE"
    account has been removed from the ACL of the directory.

    I am the admin of our small network and have never needed to play with the
    GPO before. This problem just happened "out of the blue" and I would like
    to resolve what caused it.

    In the meantime, can you tell me what I should be looking for in the Default
    Domain Controllers Policy?

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005
  10. TheBurgerMan wrote:
    > I ran the gpupdate and the site crapped out again, also "NETWORK
    > SERVICE" account has been removed from the ACL of the directory.
    >
    > I am the admin of our small network and have never needed to play
    > with the GPO before. This problem just happened "out of the blue"
    > and I would like to resolve what caused it.
    >
    > In the meantime, can you tell me what I should be looking for in the
    > Default Domain Controllers Policy?

    So now you know that it's definitely a GPO. You'd have to look at each
    policy that's applied to the box and make sure that it includes that change.
    You can use gpresult to see what is applied.

    --
    Jim Cheshire
    JIMCO Software

    JIMCO Software, Oct 17, 2005
  11. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    Thanks Jim. I added the directory (and all sub's) into the policy and then
    did the 'gbupdate /force' again. My site is still up and running, so I
    guess that was it.

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005
  12. TheBurgerMan wrote:
    > Thanks Jim. I added the directory (and all sub's) into the policy
    > and then did the 'gbupdate /force' again. My site is still up and
    > running, so I guess that was it.

    Cool. Glad to help.

    --
    Jim Cheshire
    JIMCO Software

    JIMCO Software, Oct 17, 2005
  13. re:
    !> How do I fix this error

    Give the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE account write access rights to the
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files directory.

    Right-click the folder, select "properties", select the security tab...and give that account full control.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    ¿ Estas probando VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0 ?
    Regístrate (gratis) en los Foros de VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0, en español
    http://asp.net.do/foros/forums/

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 11, 2009
  14. TheBurgerMan

    Finn Guest

    Re: How do I fix this error: "The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\N

    That did it for me as well! Thx

    Finn, Sep 22, 2010