How do I fix this error: "The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write ac

TheBurgerMan

Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange. I
started getting the message below last week. I googled the error and not
much was returned, but I did find this;
http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx

I tried both items in the forum and it works for a few hits then it happens
again!

Anyone have the same problem? How do I fix this?

--
Thanks,
TheBurgerMan

Server Error in '/' Application.

The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files'.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The current identity (NT
AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.SetUpCodegenDirectory(CompilationSection
compilationSection) +3473131
System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags)
+226

[HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3425571
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +149

Guest

Simply open Windows Explorer and give Network Service access rights
read/write to the Temporary ASP.NET directory. This is fairly simple on
Win2k3. On XP, you have to enable simple sharing to get the security tab to
show.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

S. Justin Gengo

TheBurgerMan,

I think you should try giving the NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE account
modify permissions on the
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files folder
manually.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

TheBurgerMan

Thanks for all the responses. I have changed the ACL to add the NETWORK
SERVICE account to the Temp directory (just now), but I am leary of opening
security holes on my box. Is there an actual problem that will cause my
site to keep craping out?

JIMCO Software

TheBurgerMan said:
Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange.
I started getting the message below last week. I googled the error
and not much was returned, but I did find this;
http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx

I tried both items in the forum and it works for a few hits then it
happens again!

FYI, when you run the commands in the post above, it changes the permissions
and gives NETWORK SERVICE appropriate permissions. That's why it works when
you do that. If something is then changing the permissions "magically" so
that it doesn't work anymore, a GPO (Group Policy Object) is the most likely
candidate.

JIMCO Software

TheBurgerMan said:
Thanks for all the responses. I have changed the ACL to add the
NETWORK SERVICE account to the Temp directory (just now), but I am
leary of opening security holes on my box. Is there an actual
problem that will cause my site to keep craping out?

--

NETWORK SERVICE needs write access there. That's the default permissions.

As to what might cause it to keep crapping out, see my previous post. If
you want to find out if that's it, go to a command line and run this:

gpupdate /force

After that takes effect, see if it's broken again. If it is, a GPO is
altering permissions and you need to talk to your domain admin about
modifying it.

TheBurgerMan

Thanks Jim. When I ran the "aspnet_regiis -ga "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
SERVICE" earlier, I examined the ACL permissions right away and "NETWORK
SERVICE" had only read access, but the site came up!

Anyway, I will check the GPO and let you know (a poet and I didn't even know
it).

--
Thanks,
TheBurgerMan

TheBurgerMan

I ran the gpupdate and the site crapped out again, also "NETWORK SERVICE"
account has been removed from the ACL of the directory.

I am the admin of our small network and have never needed to play with the
GPO before. This problem just happened "out of the blue" and I would like
to resolve what caused it.

In the meantime, can you tell me what I should be looking for in the Default
Domain Controllers Policy?

--
Thanks,
TheBurgerMan

JIMCO Software

TheBurgerMan said:
I ran the gpupdate and the site crapped out again, also "NETWORK
SERVICE" account has been removed from the ACL of the directory.

I am the admin of our small network and have never needed to play
with the GPO before. This problem just happened "out of the blue"
and I would like to resolve what caused it.

In the meantime, can you tell me what I should be looking for in the
Default Domain Controllers Policy?

So now you know that it's definitely a GPO. You'd have to look at each
policy that's applied to the box and make sure that it includes that change.
You can use gpresult to see what is applied.

TheBurgerMan

Thanks Jim. I added the directory (and all sub's) into the policy and then
did the 'gbupdate /force' again. My site is still up and running, so I
guess that was it.

--
Thanks,
TheBurgerMan

JIMCO Software

TheBurgerMan said:
Thanks Jim. I added the directory (and all sub's) into the policy
and then did the 'gbupdate /force' again. My site is still up and
running, so I guess that was it.

Cool. Glad to help.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> How do I fix this error

Give the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE account write access rights to the
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files directory.

Right-click the folder, select "properties", select the security tab...and give that account full control.

===============

Finn

That did it for me as well! Thx

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
!> How do I fix this error

Give the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE account write access rights to the
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files directory.

Right-click the folder, select "properties", select the security tab...and give that account full control.

===============
Nathan said:
Server Error in '/ITEMA' Application.

The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.
trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin
and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.SetUpCodegenDirectory(CompilationSection compilationSection) +3474107
System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags) +226

[HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3426839
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +149

From
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/8_2...TWORK-SERVICE-does-not-have-write-access-.htm

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/