How do I fix this error: "The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write ac

TheBurgerMan

Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange. I
started getting the message below last week. I googled the error and not
much was returned, but I did find this;
http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx

I tried both items in the forum and it works for a few hits then it happens
again!

Anyone have the same problem? How do I fix this?

--
Thanks,
TheBurgerMan

Server Error in '/' Application.

The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files'.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The current identity (NT
AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.SetUpCodegenDirectory(CompilationSection
compilationSection) +3473131
System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags)
+226

[HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
SERVICE) does not have write access to
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3425571
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +149

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello TheBurgerMan,

this is the directory where ASP.NET emits its temp assemblies - the worker
process account needs modify ACLs for this directory (and sub directories).

TheBurgerMan

I have set the ACL's to give write access for the account, but as soon as
the Group policy runs, it deletes the ACL I had previously set. I don't set
any GPO stuff on this server as we are only a handfull of people and I don't
have time to manage to that detail (this is only one web server and is in
its own Domain (AD).

Is there an easy lookup in the GP editor that I can check?

--
Thanks,
TheBurgerMan
Dominick Baier said:
Hello TheBurgerMan,

this is the directory where ASP.NET emits its temp assemblies - the worker
process account needs modify ACLs for this directory (and sub
directories).

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

----------
The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have
write
access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary
ASP.NET
Files'.
the
current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
information
[...]

Ken Schaefer

Use RSOP (Resultant Set of Policy) tool to determine what the effective
settings are for that folder. That'll confirm that it's a GPO, and tell you
which on you need to change. If you don't have RSOP handy, you can use
gpresult.exe at a command line to get a list of GPOs that are being applied.

The setting in question is probably located at Computer Configuration ->
Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> File System.

That location is where a GPO creator can specify custom ACLs to be applied
to specified files/folders

Alternatively, someone may have loaded a security template that contains
file system ACLs that are too restrictive. Speak to your network admins
about this - probably the quickest way to find out what's going on,
especially if they set it up in the first place.

Cheers
Ken

:
: Is there an easy lookup in the GP editor that I can check?
:
: --
: Thanks,
: TheBurgerMan
: at
: gmail.com
: --
: "Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <[email protected]>
: >
: > ---------------------------------------
: > Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
: > http://www.leastprivilege.com
: >
: >> Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange.
: >> I started getting the message below last week. I googled the error
: >> and not much was returned, but I did find this;
: >> http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx
: >>
: >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: >> ----------
: >> The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have
: >> write
: >> access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary
: >> ASP.NET
: >> Files'.
: >> the
: >> current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
: >> information
: >> about the error and where it originated in the code.
: >> Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The current identity (NT
: >> AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
: >> 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
: >> Files'.
: >>
: >> Source Error:
: >>
: >> An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the
: >> current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of
: >> the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
: >>
: >> Stack Trace:
: >>
[...]
: >> ---------- Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
: >> Version:2.0.50727.26; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.26
: >>
: >
: >
: