How do I fix this error: "The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write ac

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange. I
    started getting the message below last week. I googled the error and not
    much was returned, but I did find this;
    http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx

    I tried both items in the forum and it works for a few hits then it happens
    again!

    Anyone have the same problem? How do I fix this?

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
    access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files'.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The current identity (NT
    AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.SetUpCodegenDirectory(CompilationSection
    compilationSection) +3473131
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags)
    +226

    [HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3425571
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +149

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.26; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.26

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Hello TheBurgerMan,

    this is the directory where ASP.NET emits its temp assemblies - the worker
    process account needs modify ACLs for this directory (and sub directories).

    ---------------------------------------
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Oct 17, 2005

  3. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    I have set the ACL's to give write access for the account, but as soon as
    the Group policy runs, it deletes the ACL I had previously set. I don't set
    any GPO stuff on this server as we are only a handfull of people and I don't
    have time to manage to that detail (this is only one web server and is in
    its own Domain (AD).

    Is there an easy lookup in the GP editor that I can check?

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005
  4. TheBurgerMan

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Use RSOP (Resultant Set of Policy) tool to determine what the effective
    settings are for that folder. That'll confirm that it's a GPO, and tell you
    which on you need to change. If you don't have RSOP handy, you can use
    gpresult.exe at a command line to get a list of GPOs that are being applied.

    The setting in question is probably located at Computer Configuration ->
    Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> File System.

    That location is where a GPO creator can specify custom ACLs to be applied
    to specified files/folders

    Alternatively, someone may have loaded a security template that contains
    file system ACLs that are too restrictive. Speak to your network admins
    about this - probably the quickest way to find out what's going on,
    especially if they set it up in the first place.

    Cheers
    Ken

    :
    : Is there an easy lookup in the GP editor that I can check?
    :
    : --
    : Thanks,
    : TheBurgerMan
    : at
    : gmail.com
    : --
    : "Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <>
    : wrote in message news:...
    : > Hello TheBurgerMan,
    : >
    : > ---------------------------------------
    : > Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    : > http://www.leastprivilege.com
    : >
    : >> Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange.
    : >> I started getting the message below last week. I googled the error
    : >> and not much was returned, but I did find this;
    : >> http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx
    : >>

    Ken Schaefer, Oct 19, 2005