How do I fix this error: "The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write ac

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    Hi all. I am using W2K3, .NET2 on a machine running AD and Exchange. I
    started getting the message below last week. I googled the error and not
    much was returned, but I did find this;
    http://forums.asp.net/918725/ShowPost.aspx

    I tried both items in the forum and it works for a few hits then it happens
    again!

    Anyone have the same problem? How do I fix this?

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
    access to 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files'.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The current identity (NT
    AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.SetUpCodegenDirectory(CompilationSection
    compilationSection) +3473131
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags)
    +226

    [HttpException (0x80004005): The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE) does not have write access to
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3425571
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +149

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.26; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.26

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005

  2. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    I have changed the ACL to add the NETWORK SERVICE account to the Temp
    directory (just now), but I am leary of opening scurity holes on my box. Is
    there an actual problem that will cause my site to keep craping out?
    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan, Oct 17, 2005

  3. TheBurgerMan

    TheBurgerMan Guest

    I fixed the problem (thanks to Jim Cheshire of JIMCO Software
    (http://www.jimcosoftware.com) ).

    The GPO (Default Domain Policy) was overriding the ACL's and NOT including
    the NETWORK SERVICE account everytime it did a policy check (or whatever it
    does). Once I added the account to the correct directory in the Default
    Domain Policy, it was fine.

    --
    Thanks,
    TheBurgerMan