    media player - which I do not want).

    Thanks

    , Feb 9, 2006

  2. cwdjrxyz Guest

    wrote:
    > I am moving away from the idea of having a pop-up window with video in
    > it, so instead, I want them to save it directly to the hard drive.
    > Now, I do notice that sometimes certain browsers will ask bring up the
    > box DO YOU WANT TO OPEN or SAVE AS to the hard drive with radio
    > buttons beside each. I want this to automatically happen when the user
    > presses the link, so how do I go about this? Is this a windows thing
    > or a HTML thing? (I am trying to avoid the problem that I have
    > noticed sometimes when I click on a link for video, it will auto open
    > media player - which I do not want).

    It is the choice of the user as to how he or she wishes to open videos
    when a choice is offered on some browsers. I do not know of any method
    for the writer of the page to directly override this choice, nor would
    it be desirable if you could. You could suggest on the page that the
    video be downloaded to the HD, if this is important for your page.

    If you embed the video on the page using any dimensions for the size
    desired, this will usually directly show the video on the page if the
    browser has a player to support it. If not, the video just does not
    show. If the viewer has no suitable browser to play the video, it would
    be a waste of time to download a video unless a viewer wants to save it
    for playing on another computer or they are willing to take the time to
    download a player. Keep in mind that there are many video formats, and
    not all players play all formats. You can even offer videos in 2 or 3
    formats so that the viewer will be able to play it if they have at
    least one of the more popular video players.

    You will find some examples on my site at
    http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php .
    Go to the broadband link at the top of the page. You can see the code
    by right clicking. Disregard the link labeled mime. The code used is
    all W3C valid xhtml and does not use illegal tags such as embed. Some
    of these videos stream(progressive download) at up to about 2 Mbps, so
    if you do not have a broadband connection that will support over 2
    Mbps, there will be a very long buffer time before playing starts. You
    can encode some video formats, such as Windows .wmv or Real .rm, at
    about 30 kbps to play on a good dialup connection, but the quality
    leaves much to be desired. You could offer 3 choices for dialup,
    low-end broadband, and high-end broadband. Those who have have much
    video traffic usually have the videos stored on a special streaming
    server(an ordinary html server will usually do for light video usage).
    On a streaming server you can easily provide a multi-speed stream that
    automatically selects the stream best suited for the viewing browser or
    provides a clickon selection of speed.

    cwdjrxyz, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:

    > I am moving away from the idea of having a pop-up window with video in
    > it, so instead, I want them to save it directly to the hard drive.
    > Now, I do notice that sometimes certain browsers will ask bring up the
    > box DO YOU WANT TO OPEN or SAVE AS to the hard drive with radio
    > buttons beside each. I want this to automatically happen when the user
    > presses the link, so how do I go about this? Is this a windows thing
    > or a HTML thing? (I am trying to avoid the problem that I have
    > noticed sometimes when I click on a link for video, it will auto open
    > media player - which I do not want).

    Zip it.

    (I say that a lot lately.)

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 9, 2006

    Interesting idea, that way it has no choice but to download.
    Excellent, thanks.

    , Feb 10, 2006