How do I get more events from a wxListCtrl in a panel?

Discussion in 'Python' started by bmoore@integrian.com, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Hello.

    I am working on an application using wxPython that includes a panel
    with a wxListCtrl populated with data received from a LAN attached
    database.

    I want the wxListCtrl panel to be loaded with a small amount of data
    initially. When the user moves the vertical scrollbar or press PageUp
    or PageDown, I want to load the list view with new data from the
    database. I only want to load the wxListCtrl with a subset of the
    database data at a time so the list view is responsive and will allow
    for handling large databases.

    The problem I am having is how to get events from the scrollbars or
    the PageUp/PageDown keys, etc. I can get events from selecting items,
    etc.

    Thanks,
    Brian
    , Jul 22, 2003

  2. David C. Fox Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I am working on an application using wxPython that includes a panel
    > with a wxListCtrl populated with data received from a LAN attached
    > database.
    >
    > I want the wxListCtrl panel to be loaded with a small amount of data
    > initially. When the user moves the vertical scrollbar or press PageUp
    > or PageDown, I want to load the list view with new data from the
    > database. I only want to load the wxListCtrl with a subset of the
    > database data at a time so the list view is responsive and will allow
    > for handling large databases.
    >
    > The problem I am having is how to get events from the scrollbars or
    > the PageUp/PageDown keys, etc. I can get events from selecting items,
    > etc.

    Use a virtual list control (style wxLC_VIRTUAL) which doesn't contain
    any data, but invokes callbacks to retrieve only those records which are
    currently visible. See the example in the demo.

    David

    P.S. for wxPython specific questions, you will probably find a bigger
    audience on the wxPython-users list (see
    http://www.wxpython.org/maillist.php)
    David C. Fox, Jul 22, 2003