How do I get the URL of the active tab in Firefox/IE/Chrome?

Discussion in 'Python' started by He Jibo, Nov 28, 2010.

  1. He Jibo

    He Jibo Guest

    Hi,
    I am writing a small program, which needs to get the URL of the active
    tab in either of firefox, internet exploerer or chrome.
    My need is similar as the one posted at, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3631
    .... -ie-chrome

    I did a lot of Googling, and get the following code. The following
    code can get the url of the first tab in internet explorer. My
    question is, how can I get the url of the current active tab? Thanks.

    '''
    http://efreedom.com/Question/1-2555905/ ... Bar-Python
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/arc ... 35657.aspx
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python ... 02040.html
    http://code.activestate.com/recipes/302 ... lass-file/
    '''
    from win32com.client import Dispatch
    import win32api, win32con,win32gui

    SHELL = Dispatch("Shell.Application")

    def get_ie(shell):
    for win in shell.Windows():
    # print win
    if win.Name == "Windows Internet Explorer":
    return win
    return None

    def main():
    ie = get_ie(SHELL)
    if ie:
    print ie.LocationURL
    print ie.LocationName
    print ie.ReadyState
    print ie
    print ie.Document.title
    print ie.Document.location
    print ie.Document.forms

    # title = win32gui.GetWindowText(ie)
    # print title

    else:
    print "no ie window"

    if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

    He Jibo, Nov 28, 2010

  2. He Jibo

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-11-28, He Jibo <> wrote:
    > I did a lot of Googling, and get the following code. The following
    > code can get the url of the first tab in internet explorer. My
    > question is, how can I get the url of the current active tab? Thanks.

    It would be beneficial to know what your ultimate goal is. The
    "InternetExplorer.Application" automation object doesn't contain any way to
    manipulate tabs directly; but, there are likely less direct methods of
    achieving whatever you are trying to accomplish if you let us know what
    that is.

    Tim Harig, Nov 28, 2010

  3. Hello!

    > The "InternetExplorer.Application" automation object doesn't contain
    > any way to manipulate tabs directly

    False. Try this example:
    import win32com.client
    for instance in win32com.client.Dispatch('{9BA05972-F6A8-11CF-A442-00A0C90A8F39}'):
    print instance," URL :",instance.LocationURL

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau

    Michel Claveau - MVP, Nov 29, 2010
  4. He Jibo

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-11-29, Michel Claveau - MVP <> wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    >> The "InternetExplorer.Application" automation object doesn't contain
    >> any way to manipulate tabs directly

    > False. Try this example:
    > import win32com.client
    > for instance in win32com.client.Dispatch('{9BA05972-F6A8-11CF-A442-00A0C90A8F39}'):
    > print instance," URL :",instance.LocationURL

    A Shell collection object != a InternetExplorer.Application object.
    The problem with using a ShellWindows object is that you could easily
    connect to the wrong instance, especially since the OP doesn't know the
    LocationURL of the instance that he is looking for. That is why I asked
    for clarification. Once we know what the OP is trying to do, we can
    make sure that he has a reliable method to connect to the proper instance.

    Tim Harig, Nov 29, 2010