How do I implement a navigation bar?

fed up

For reasons I won't go into, I can't use server side includes & I haven't
got any athoring software.

How can I implement a navigation bar? I need to include the same text into
each file. I don't want to edit every single file when I put up a new page &
alter the navigation bar.

I'm prepared to use xhtml & xsl, if clear instructions are given.

Edwin van der Vaart

fed said:
For reasons I won't go into, I can't use server side includes & I haven't
got any athoring software.

How can I implement a navigation bar? I need to include the same text into
each file. I don't want to edit every single file when I put up a new page &
alter the navigation bar.

I'm prepared to use xhtml & xsl, if clear instructions are given.
Then there is one option, but every web-designer and search engines
dislike it. It's called frames. Put the navigation in one frame and the
content in the other. That way you don't need to use server-side scripting.

See explanation: [http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp]
See example:
[http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_frame_navigation]
--