How do I import a CSV data into an Access DB?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by john_aspinall@yahoo.co.uk, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    For a kick off sorry if this is the wrong forum, Ill go on the Access
    one if Im not on the right board!

    Anyways, Ive got a problem and am not sure if its going to be solved
    programatically using ASP or not.

    Here's the overview:

    Im building an eCommerce web site using ASP. It has an Access DB at
    the back end. Im receiving the Product info from a series of CSV
    files. Ive created a Table in Access called 'Products' and the two
    fields which concern me are called 'ProductID' and 'Price'. The
    product prices change regularly, sometimes quaterly. The updated
    prices will be received in the CSV file.

    Here's the problem:

    I want to somehow get the 'Prices' field in the datbase to be updated
    automatically whenver a new CSV file comes in, I dont want to manually
    type all the updated prices.

    How would I get this done? Can it be done in Access or would I have to
    get some sort of ASP program code to do it? Im not a programmer so
    would appreciate an 'idiots guide' if poss!

    Cheers....John
    , Jul 21, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > For a kick off sorry if this is the wrong forum, Ill go on the Access
    > one if Im not on the right board!
    >
    > Anyways, Ive got a problem and am not sure if its going to be solved
    > programatically using ASP or not.
    >
    > Here's the overview:
    >
    > Im building an eCommerce web site using ASP. It has an Access DB at
    > the back end. Im receiving the Product info from a series of CSV
    > files. Ive created a Table in Access called 'Products' and the two
    > fields which concern me are called 'ProductID' and 'Price'. The
    > product prices change regularly, sometimes quaterly. The updated
    > prices will be received in the CSV file.
    >
    > Here's the problem:
    >
    > I want to somehow get the 'Prices' field in the datbase to be updated
    > automatically whenver a new CSV file comes in, I dont want to manually
    > type all the updated prices.
    >
    > How would I get this done? Can it be done in Access or would I have
    > to get some sort of ASP program code to do it? Im not a programmer so
    > would appreciate an 'idiots guide' if poss!
    >
    > Cheers....John

    You cannot do this in ASP. Access has builtin functionality to import data.
    You should post to an Access group for details. You will need to combine
    this functionality with a program that will periodically check a folder for
    new files to be imported. You will need a programmer for this. It is not a
    task for an "idiot" ;-)
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 21, 2006

    10/4. Ill post on an Access forum.

    The Idiot. ;-)

    Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > For a kick off sorry if this is the wrong forum, Ill go on the Access
    > > one if Im not on the right board!
    > >
    > > Anyways, Ive got a problem and am not sure if its going to be solved
    > > programatically using ASP or not.
    > >
    > > Here's the overview:
    > >
    > > Im building an eCommerce web site using ASP. It has an Access DB at
    > > the back end. Im receiving the Product info from a series of CSV
    > > files. Ive created a Table in Access called 'Products' and the two
    > > fields which concern me are called 'ProductID' and 'Price'. The
    > > product prices change regularly, sometimes quaterly. The updated
    > > prices will be received in the CSV file.
    > >
    > > Here's the problem:
    > >
    > > I want to somehow get the 'Prices' field in the datbase to be updated
    > > automatically whenver a new CSV file comes in, I dont want to manually
    > > type all the updated prices.
    > >
    > > How would I get this done? Can it be done in Access or would I have
    > > to get some sort of ASP program code to do it? Im not a programmer so
    > > would appreciate an 'idiots guide' if poss!
    > >
    > > Cheers....John

    > You cannot do this in ASP. Access has builtin functionality to import data.
    > You should post to an Access group for details. You will need to combine
    > this functionality with a program that will periodically check a folder for
    > new files to be imported. You will need a programmer for this. It is not a
    > task for an "idiot" ;-)
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > "NO SPAM"