How do I make a file available for download?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by web-builder, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. web-builder

    web-builder Guest

    I am building a website and I have a music file (mp3) that I want
    people to download.

    I do not want it to play when they click the link. I want the file to
    download permanently (not to a temporary folder) and then they can
    listen to it whenever they want.

    I am using Serif WebPlus X2 and I am not very proficient with html
    code. I tried creating a hyper link to "a file" but this simply plays
    the file when you click the link. You can "right click" and save the
    file but I want the simplicity of "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD" and people
    click it and my mp3 file downloads without the need to "right click"
    and save.

    I do want want to put my mp3 file on itunes either and have a link to
    itunes. I want my donwload to be independent of organisations such as
    itunes, available on my site to download.

    Any suggestions?

    web-builder, Sep 9, 2008

  2. web-builder <> writes:

    > You can "right click" and save the
    > file but I want the simplicity of "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD" and people
    > click it and my mp3 file downloads without the need to "right click"
    > and save.

    So essentially, you think your users are too stupid to right-click if
    they want to save the file, and you want to say "f**k you" to anyone
    who prefers their MP3s to play automatically? How rude!

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 9, 2008

  3. web-builder wrote:
    > I am building a website and I have a music file (mp3) that I want
    > people to download.
    >
    > I do not want it to play when they click the link. I want the file to
    > download permanently (not to a temporary folder) and then they can
    > listen to it whenever they want.

    What if when they want to listen to it is right now? Why don't you want
    them to have that choice? And unless you know anything about their
    computer, how can you have an opinion on where they are going to store
    the file if they download it? Anyway, fortunately, you have no control
    over that.

    > I am using Serif WebPlus X2 and I am not very proficient with html
    > code. I tried creating a hyper link to "a file" but this simply plays
    > the file when you click the link. You can "right click" and save the
    > file but I want the simplicity of "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD" and people
    > click it and my mp3 file downloads without the need to "right click"
    > and save.

    In what way is it simpler for them to download it and then have to go
    figure out where it is so they can play it?

    Harlan Messinger, Sep 9, 2008
  4. web-builder

    web-builder Guest

    > What if when they want to listen to it is right now? Why don't you want
    > them to have that choice? And unless you know anything about their
    > computer, how can you have an opinion on where they are going to store
    > the file if they download it? Anyway, fortunately, you have no control
    > over that.

    The .mp3 file is 26 mins long so according the experience I am
    presenting via my website I decree they should not listen to it
    NOW.... they should listen to it at a later date. But this is
    irrelevent... I simply want to know how to make a file download with
    the left click, if you don't know how to do this please keep quiet. I
    also want the file to donwload to a permenent location on the viewers
    computer (a location that the user specifies, such as "where do you
    want to save this file" and then the user saves it to "My documents"
    or "My music" or wherever), and providing they are not retarded they
    can then remember where they saved it to and listen to it at the right
    moment. Due to it being 26 mins long it feel it is not something that
    they should listen to in the middle of their journey through my site.
    It you think otherwise you can go and build your own site. If you
    don't know you how to help me there is no point telling me to do
    something different. I know what I want to do.... I want the person
    viewing my site to left-click a download button, and then a mp3-file
    dowloads to a permenent location (of their choice) and while it
    downloads they carry on browsing through my site.

    web-builder, Sep 9, 2008
  5. web-builder <> writes:

    > I simply want to know how to make a file download with
    > the left click, if you don't know how to do this please keep quiet.

    Get over yourself - you don't own usenet. That's a stupid idea, and I
    don't need your permission to say so.

    > If you
    > don't know you how to help me there is no point telling me to do
    > something different.

    I do know how to configure my server to send .mp3 files with a MIME
    type that usually triggers a download. But I'm not going to tell you
    how to do it, because it's a horrible idea. Telling you not to do it
    *is* how I choose to help you. If you don't like the advice, you can
    get back the money you paid for it.

    Oh, and your attempt at "reverse psychology" is pathetic. Do you
    seriously expect everyone who's telling you not to do this to suddenly
    explain it to you, just to "prove" to you that we can? Puhleeze...

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 9, 2008
  6. web-builder

    J.O. Aho Guest

    web-builder wrote:

    > I simply want to know how to make a file download with
    > the left click

    You rename it so it don't have the .mp3 extension, but at the same time it
    shouldn't have an extension that will trigger some other application to do
    something, of course this has the disadvantage that the user has to rename
    the file before it will work properly as thought on the users system (there
    are those who uses DirectoryOpus, which don't care as much about the file
    extension, but file header, which would start a mp3 player when clicking on
    the misnamed file icon on the end users system).

    Another option could be to archive/compress the file with something else than
    gzip (some browsers will automatically unpack those files and let the
    browser to do the default action, like play the mp3 directly and not offer a
    "save").

    The whole point is, you don't know which browser the end user will be using,
    which settings the user has selected, so you never will be sure about an
    action, so regardless of what you wish, the end user may not want to store it
    on their hard drive in a more permanent way.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Sep 9, 2008
  7. web-builder wrote:
    >> What if when they want to listen to it is right now? Why don't you want
    >> them to have that choice? And unless you know anything about their
    >> computer, how can you have an opinion on where they are going to store
    >> the file if they download it? Anyway, fortunately, you have no control
    >> over that.

    > The .mp3 file is 26 mins long so according the experience I am
    > presenting via my website I decree they should not listen to it
    > NOW.... they should listen to it at a later date. But this is
    > irrelevent... I simply want to know how to make a file download with
    > the left click, if you don't know how to do this please keep quiet.

    Giving orders now, are you?

    <plonk>

    Harlan Messinger, Sep 9, 2008
  8. On 2008-09-09, web-builder wrote:

    >> What if when they want to listen to it is right now? Why don't you want
    >> them to have that choice? And unless you know anything about their
    >> computer, how can you have an opinion on where they are going to store
    >> the file if they download it? Anyway, fortunately, you have no control
    >> over that.

    > The .mp3 file is 26 mins long so according the experience I am
    > presenting via my website I decree they should not listen to it
    > NOW....

    You CANNOT decree anything that happens on my computer; only I can
    decide that. You may, at most, make suggestions.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 9, 2008
  9. Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2008-09-09, web-builder wrote:
    >>
    >>> What if when they want to listen to it is right now? Why don't you want
    >>> them to have that choice? And unless you know anything about their
    >>> computer, how can you have an opinion on where they are going to store
    >>> the file if they download it? Anyway, fortunately, you have no control
    >>> over that.

    >> The .mp3 file is 26 mins long so according the experience I am
    >> presenting via my website I decree they should not listen to it
    >> NOW....

    > You CANNOT decree anything that happens on my computer; only I can
    > decide that. You may, at most, make suggestions.

    Not even with the right chant and some magic chicken bones?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2008
  10. web-builder

    Bergamot Guest

    web-builder wrote:

    > The .mp3 file is 26 mins long

    Instead of trying to force your will upon your users, put that 26 mins
    (and the file size) on the page in plain sight so the visitor knows what
    they're getting themselves into. If they still want to listen to it now,
    it's their choice.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Sep 10, 2008
  11. On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:30:24 -0700 (PDT), web-builder
    <> wrote:

    >I am building a website and I have a music file (mp3) that I want
    >people to download.
    >
    >I do not want it to play when they click the link. I want the file to
    >download permanently (not to a temporary folder) and then they can
    >listen to it whenever they want.
    >
    >I am using Serif WebPlus X2 and I am not very proficient with html
    >code. I tried creating a hyper link to "a file" but this simply plays
    >the file when you click the link. You can "right click" and save the
    >file but I want the simplicity of "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD" and people
    >click it and my mp3 file downloads without the need to "right click"
    >and save.
    >
    >I do want want to put my mp3 file on itunes either and have a link to
    >itunes. I want my donwload to be independent of organisations such as
    >itunes, available on my site to download.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    The best way is to tell the user that this file is very big ....so
    they can choice to click or right-click(if they want to download the
    complete stuff).

    Listen it immédiately is a good solution, that will permit the user to
    appreciate if he want to kill the listen action and decide himself
    after that if a download is a good solution.

    Raymond SCHMIT, Sep 12, 2008