how do I make a Web service proxy understand an HTTP refresh page?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?YWNob28=?=, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Is it possible to extend a Web service proxy so that it understands an HTTP
    refresh page?

    Explanation:

    * The Web service proxy was autogenerated by Visual Studio .NET 2003
    from the Web service's WSDL. It inherits from
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.

    * The Web service is hiding behind a load-balancing content switch
    (Cisco content services switch to be precise)

    * The content switch takes a request from a client and looks for the
    session cookie. If it doesn't find the cookie, it sends the request back to
    the client as an HTTP refresh page after inserting a new cookie.

    * The client is supposed to refresh its page, causing it to resend the
    original request with the new cookie included. This allows the content
    switch to properly route traffic between the client and a particular backend
    server.

    * The Web service proxy generated by Visual Studio probably doesn't
    respond properly to the HTTP refresh page... after all, it isn't a Web
    browser and there is no page to refresh... I get the feeling that it's simply
    ignoring this refresh command.

    =?Utf-8?B?YWNob28=?=, Feb 3, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YWNob28=?=

    Bruce Barker Guest

    it depends on how the refreah command is done. it should be a 300 level
    redirect, in which case the proxy will follow. you should do a network trace
    to see what the load balancer is really doing.

    the autogenerated proxy is just code. you can edit it and add the required
    support. for example, the proxy may be honoring the returned cookie on the
    redirect. the fix would be to turn off auto redirect, catch the 300 error,
    add any response cookies to the request, and request again.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Feb 3, 2006